Mike Holmes Inspections doesn't even know the radon fan is installed incorrectly.

Mike Holmes Inspections doesn’t even know the radon fan Mike is standing next to in his own video is installed incorrectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnqIPtZt3Go)

What’s the problem with the installation?

For those of us that do not do radon testing or have that issue, please explain.

I think he doesn’t like the fan location since many will put it in the attic or even outside. It all depends on how bad the winters are. On that video, I’m not crazy about the exhaust location, snow will cover that pipe in no time and the moisture coming out of it could freeze it solid.

[quote=“gromicko, post:1, topic:120239”]

Mike Holmes Inspections doesn’t even know the radon fan Mike is standing next to in his own video is installed incorrectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

Please post your issue in your post… tired of click bait.

Fan shouldn’t be in conditioned space. Exhaust location is also incorrect at 6.51 minutes into the video.

Mike needed this checklist: International Standards of Practice for Inspecting Commercial Properties - InterNACHI

It depends on the area. Here in BC, we can have it inside and exhaust on the side of the house.

Source: Radon - Reduction Guide for Canadians - Canada.ca

This was in Canada.

Ah!.. my bad. Too cold up there to open your windows ;). That installation is wrong everywhere in the U.S. Thanks David.

How about the exhaust termination point???

Maybe everyone should read the EPA guidelines lol

Apparently in Canada you can exhaust at grade level. There is even a few frames of the video at (7:20 into it) showing the grated exhaust with windows of the home in the background.

When you build your Canadian house of horrors have a radon exhaust vent be 12 inches from a children’s playset/ house lol

From what I was told when I was taking my Radon course is that after a foot or so from the exhaust, it’s all diluted.

That’s funny. Location, location, location. I’m directly West of Windsor, Ontario (Kalamazoo, MI) and I have no problem calling this out as an incorrect installation. Granted the window on this historic home didn’t open, but the client was definitely interested in getting all of the windows operable in the house. The fan was at least on the exterior of the home. The report indicated that the pipe needed to exit above the roofline and nobody batted an eye at my finding. Guess it just depends on “standards”.