Mold testing....Customer calls back for advice. Question..

I performed a mold test for a client. The test comes back
positive, for toxic mold. I also recommended a further evaluation
because it looked like they have mold behind the drywall.

The client called his landlord to remediate the problem. The landlord
tells the client its not his concern and will not fix the problem.
The client called me and says his landlord does not care and will
not fix anything…What is good advice for me to tell the client?

David

Tell the client to consult with an attorney and explain that you are an expert on homes and not the laws that concern them.

California has some pretty strict landlord / tenant laws. Send them here for information.

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/landlordbook/index.shtml

In Missouri, I advise them to read their contract. In most contracts the landlord has to supply the tenant with a safe place to live. If the landlord does not, he is breaking the contract and the tenant can give the landlord notice. I have had a few landlord’s threaten to sue the tenant if he moved. After I wrote a report with pictures, the tenant was glad to see the tenant go. The real smart landlords helped them move. It is all how you word the report. I may not be a lawyer but I can get the landlord’s attention.:mrgreen:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks Steve

tell them to get a liar, err, lawyer.

EPA Considering Bioaerosol Sampling
remember that a negative sampling report must not be used in place of a visual survey. Factors such as barometric pressure, inside and outside temperatures, activity levels, and humidity may dramatically reduce or increase the spore levels within a building. Air sampling for mold provides information on what was in the air only for the moment when the sampling occurred. It is important, therefore, that sampling not replace visual inspection.”

We see several a month, year after year after year where home inspector air sampling for mold (mold test?) indicates a need for further investigation, and there is nothing there.
We will not trust a home inspector’s sampling report, just can’t do it.

Take their money and don’t worry about it. :wink:

Many cities require rental property to comply with international building maintenance code. Chech with or refer them to you local building department

when will the logo mills assure education that stresses

The term “toxic mold” is not accurate.

CDC first bullet point: http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm#Q1
While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. In 2009, the World Health Organization issued additional guidance, the WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and MouldExternal Web Site Icon [PDF, 2.52 MB].

A common-sense approach should be used for any mold contamination existing inside buildings and homes. The common health concerns from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms. Certain individuals with chronic respiratory disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune suppression may be at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment. For the most part, one should take routine measures to prevent mold growth in the home.

when will the logo mills and the q-tip cowboys assure education and factual consumer information that stresses

The term “toxic mold” is not accurate.

oh wait that would cut into profits

CDC first bullet point: http://www.cdc.gov/mold/stachy.htm#Q1
While certain molds are toxigenic, meaning they can produce toxins (specifically mycotoxins), the molds themselves are not toxic, or poisonous. Hazards presented by molds that may produce mycotoxins should be considered the same as other common molds which can grow in your house. There is always a little mold everywhere - in the air and on many surfaces. There are very few reports that toxigenic molds found inside homes can cause unique or rare health conditions such as pulmonary hemorrhage or memory loss. These case reports are rare, and a causal link between the presence of the toxigenic mold and these conditions has not been proven.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. In 2009, the World Health Organization issued additional guidance, the WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and MouldExternal Web Site Icon [PDF, 2.52 MB].

A common-sense approach should be used for any mold contamination existing inside buildings and homes. The common health concerns from molds include hay fever-like allergic symptoms. Certain individuals with chronic respiratory disease (chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, asthma) may experience difficulty breathing. Individuals with immune suppression may be at increased risk for infection from molds. If you or your family members have these conditions, a qualified medical clinician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment. For the most part, one should take routine measures to prevent mold growth in the home.

Agree BA.

“Q-tip cowboys”… LOVE it!!! 8)