Overflow at lavatories

I just learned that overflows in lavatories (bathroom and washroom sinks) are no longer required to be installed. It is now an option by the manufacturer.
It is because the lack of use of the overflow causes bacterial and microorganism growth.

If a lavatory with an overflow exists in a dwelling, do mold inspections include the testing the overflow? If a high level of mold exists in the overflow, would you recommend the sink to be replaced with one that doesn’t have an overflow?

Ben I doubt this is why Manufacturers stopped it.
Its just cheaper.
Have you ever seen a mold problem from an overflow.?
It is more serious when the sink overflows and spills on to the floor.
I hope this helps.

(you researching for something)?

I have seen some bath sinks with strong “mold-like” odors coming from the overflows. In fact I have to clean mine every 6 months or so.

Your supposed to vomit in the toilet.:slight_smile:

I wish it was that easy. I would do that if it would stop me from having to clean the sinks.

On the real.
No overflow is bad MDU’s Multiple dwelling units.
After all we do recommend drain pans for all water bearing appliances.
Would you recommend a tub with no overflow?
Just another sign of cheap China goods shipped to ruin us.

Visited the porcelain god on many occasions in my younger days!:cool:
</IMG></IMG>

Ben,

Do you have a WEB reference to that? Would be handy to have around.

If this is indeed true then YEAH!!! I test all overflows on full inspections and disclaim on shorter inspections. Testing an overflow on tubs can take time to ensure that if it is not properly plumbed then the signs of flooding show up. t would be nice if they got rid of those too. Not only that but it would be one less thing to worry about a seller getting angry about!

Over the past several years, starting I suppose with cultured marble sinks, sink overflows rarely can keep up with a really good faucet pressure and flow rate.

Many times, homeowners are lulled into a false sense of security that the overflow hole (manytimes the size of a friggin’ dime) will save their floors and ceilings from little Billy’s antics of playing at the sink and forgetting to turn the water off.

Unless these overflows are actually designed to perform as intended, I say to get rid of them. I have been telling clients that these overflows are pretty much useless for years now.

Agreed and I just note presence or absence and either way at lavs and tubs they will flood when left unattended.

Personally, I limit my mold inspections to visible portions of mold and excessive moisture. Testing the over flow for mold would require a swab in which the client would need to approve. Usually at $100 a swab the client will not roll the dice. This would pretty much apply to floor drains as well.

Testing or evaluation of a fixture would not be included unless I was contracted for a home inspection.

Fairfield Ohio Home Inspector
Providing Home Inspection services for Fairfield OH.