Commercial property inspection riddle.

Even after you buy me, you don’t own me. You only get to view or print a single copy of me once. You may not let your client see me. You may only put it on one computer, even if you have more than one computer. You may not copy me. You may not put me on a disk and certainly not give the disk to your client. You may not email me to anyone, ever, even to your client. You may not link to me. If there is a link to me somewhere, you may not tell anyone, even your client, where that link is. You may not transmit, copy, or distribute me, even to your client, in any manner for any purpose. You may not forward an electronic copy of me, even to your client. You may not photograph me or store me. You may not use me in any course about me. You must cooperate in any investigation of anyone using me. You must allow investigators to look at the files on your computer to make sure you aren’t using me other than temporarily, once, for just yourself, individually. You agree to pay if caught sending me, in any form, to your client.

What am I?

A Illegal download.

(best guess)

Keep guessing.

Nope. After paying for me, you are free to download me once, onto one computer. But then you can do nothing else with me, other than read me.

Hint: I (Nick, not the riddle answer) am in Las Vegas right now, sitting in a commercial inspection management class.

The key to the answer is in the question…

ASTM Standards

I use 2018-08; like “MOST” commercial inspectors----:stuck_out_tongue:

Hope you had a good time Nick…I had to head back to work…Nice meeting you though…!

I knew it would take a little while for someone to get that, but 1:15 isn’t bad.

Yep. ASTM E2018.

The class is packed and great. The instructor (19-year veteran commercial inspector) praises InterNACHI’s International Standards for Inspecting Commercial Properties about every 10 minutes and says it’s much better. He claims it’s because ASTM used committees to author their 2018, and those committees are made up primarily of special interest vendors. He won’t even refer to 2018 as a “Standard” (hm, where have I heard that before? ;-))… and instead intentionally calls it a “guideline.”

InterNACHI’s Commercial SOP is a class handout. Hilariously, they can’t handout 2018 because, get this… you have to buy it every time you make a copy! LMAO. They should just give IQ tests and prohibit anyone who scores over 75 from using it… same effect.

Russell Buchanan from HomeGauge taught the report generation session using InterNACHI’s Commercial SOP template today.

Lovin’ this course.

Hoped you learned the importance of the industry accepted standard—:stuck_out_tongue:

Why would any seasoned commercial inspector want/and/or need to purchase multiply copies of the industry accepted standard for a baseline PCA?

The “Scope of Work” is defined by the standard, nothing more.

You don’t place a copy of the ASTM standards in a PCA…the Scope is defined before any signatures are in place to commence the PCA.

That’s just it. It isn’t defined by 2018. 2018 doesn’t lay out exactly what is and what isn’t part of the inspection. That’s why (as our instructor explained), 2018 isn’t a “Standard” at all. I was thrilled to hear our instructor explain why 2018 isn’t a standard and to listen to him meticulously correct himself when accidentally referring to it as such.

InterNACHI’s is though and does establish a baseline… and then you and your client agree where to veer from it (only adding or subtracting depending on what the client wants/needs or doesn’t want/need) in the Scope of Work section. It’s a beautiful thing.

The two aren’t even in the same league.

As a side note: InterNACHI’s free, online commercial inspection course, which is based solely on InterNACHI’s International Standards of Practice for Inspecting Commercial Properties has been approved by most states that license inspectors and actually mandated by the most recent government to adopt licensing… Alberta (not to mention the world’s largest inspection organization).

Nick, as you well know, you type the Scope of Work, which is the standard of practice for “That” PCA; each property is completely different, there is not a one document which fits all.

In the last two days, I’ve typed proposals for a 120 sf Industrial Flex Property and a 350 Unit Apartment Building, neither were written to anything besides the “Scope of Work” defined by my clients(s) and I agreed upon.

Nick said:

I don’t disagree with you, to me you made a good document, its just to confusing and longgggg.

The few clients I did show your SOP to were crossing eyed reading it, its simply to to confusing and not necessary for a baseline and “Scope of Work” to be written and signed by client(s).

Personally I like keeping it simple, as do my clients.

LOL!

If YOU inspected thousands of properties without one complaint I’m apparently accomplishing something correct.

Have a good remainder of the evening, Nick…:cool:

The vast majority of commercial Property Condition Assessment (PCA) for
Commercial Property owners
Commercial Property Net Lease Occupants aka Commercial Triple Net Lease (NNN)
Commercial Property Investors or Groups
Commercial Property Realtors and Brokers
Commercial Engineering and Architect Firms
Commercial Construction Commissioning Agents
Individual or Business Commercial Property purchasers

know what they’re looking for or want inspected.

As has been stated the specifics can easily be covered in the Scope of Work.

I’ve yet run into a client that was even the least bit curious, asked for or wanted a copy of either ASTM or ComSop.

When needed ADAIR INSPECTION can and does provide PCA services in North East Texas and other regions of the state and nation. Call Barry @ 972-487-5634 for your quote.

The vast majority of commercial Property Condition Assessment (PCA) for

Commercial Property owners
Commercial Property Net Lease Occupants aka Commercial Triple Net Lease (NNN)
Commercial Property Investors or Groups
Commercial Property Realtors and Brokers
Commercial Engineering and Architect Firms
Commercial Construction Commissioning Agents
Individual or Business Commercial Property purchasers

know what they’re looking for or want inspected after the initial contact/conversation/interview.

As has been stated the specifics can easily be covered by the Scope of Work.

I’ve yet run into a client that was even the least bit curious, asked for or wanted a copy of either ASTM or ComSop once they received the contract including the scope of work. Nor have any come back and questioned something they thought would be included and wasn’t upon receiving the final report.

When needed ADAIR INSPECTION can and does provide PCA services in North East Texas and other regions of the state and nation. Call Barry @ 972-487-5634 for your quote.

I’m releasing a new line of summer-season dresses for women this Spring: The Nick Gromicko Collection ;). They’re fabulous looking. But you can only wear each dress once, inside your own home where no one can see you in it… and you have to pay each time you wear it. LOL.

In all seriousness though, that’s the the least of the problems with the 2018 “guideline.”

Walk into the light: www.nachi.org/comsop.htm

Who was the course instructor? Which commercial banks have chosen COMSOP over ASTM E2018?

While I may agree that COMSOP helps to define things, it has not displaced ASTM. I also fail to see how any vendor could have possibly influenced the development of the ASTM model, as it is fairly non-descript and may include everything or nothing, depending on what is included in one’s scope of work. There is simply nothing in ASTM E2018 that is advantageous to one vendor over another, or one area of expertise over another.

My belief is that the two standards are complimentary. Call one planning and one execution. Both co-exist. Both define. Both are useful.

Actually, a combined lesson on both can ONLY help inspectors inspect and protect.

Nick, whenever you want to go on the road to teach a commercial inspection class that will BLOW ALL OTHERS AWAY, I’m game. Tell you what… you teach the COMSOP piece, and I will teach the hardcore nuts and bolts of a variety of commercial systems, what to look for, and how they work.

I see stuff that most inspectors dont read about. I can scale it to make them aware of what may lurk, and whittle it into practical application of functional theory used on a variety of system sizes and configurations.