Convicted for Removal of Asbestos.

Department of Justice
Office of Public Affairs
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, January 30, 2012
Three Men and Company Convicted of Conspiracy to Violate the Clean Air Act During Demolition of Tennessee Factory
Chattanooga Plant Containing Large Amounts of Asbestos Was Illegally Demolished, Exposing Community and Workers to Asbestos
WASHINGTON – Three men and a demolition company were convicted by a federal jury in Chattanooga, Tenn., of environmental crimes and obstruction of justice charges related to the illegal demolition of a Chattanooga factory containing large amounts of the toxic air pollutant asbestos, announced William C. Killian, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Tennessee, and Ignacia S. Moreno, Assistant Attorney General for the Justice Department’s Environment and Natural Resources Division. David Wood, Donald Fillers, James Mathis and Watkins Street Project LLC, a business formed for the purpose of salvaging and demolishing the facility, were convicted today of conspiracy, Clean Air Act and obstruction-related offenses. James Mathis was found not guilty of one of the Clean Air Act charges, but guilty of conspiracy and three other substantive Clean Air Act counts.
During the course of the three week trial, the evidence proved that the defendants entered into a year-long scheme, from August 2004 to September 2005, in which the former Standard Coosa Thatcher Plant was illegally demolished while still containing large amounts of asbestos. Any asbestos that was removed from the plant prior to demolition was removed illegally, scattered in open debris piles and left exposed to the elements in the vicinity of the 1700 block of Watkins Street in Chattanooga. During the course of these illegal operations, visible emissions engulfed surrounding businesses, residences and a day-care center, potentially exposing the surrounding community to substantial quantities of asbestos – a substance for which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has determined there is no safe-level given its demonstrated tendency to cause lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis. The evidence also showed the defendants tried to cover up their illegal activities by falsifying documents and lying to federal authorities.
Sentencing is currently set for June 7, 2012. The conspiracy, substantive Clean Air Act and false statements counts of the indictment each carry a maximum possible term of ** five years in prison and a fine of $250,000**, twice the gross gain to the defendants, or twice the gross loss to a victim. The obstruction of justice charge carries a maximum possible term of 20 years in prison and similar fines.
This case was investigated by Special Agents of the EPA’s Criminal Investigation Division and investigators with Chattanooga-Hamilton County Air Pollution Control Bureau. The case is being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Matthew T. Morris and Todd W. Gleason, Environmental Crimes Section of the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.

Sometimes it’s really too bad our constitution bans punishment that is “cruel and unusual”. People like these that flagrantly disregard moral principles deserve worse than what they get.

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-article/2002/07/01/cost-asbestos-junk-science-continues-mount

Micheal really?
How many rescuers are now sick because of the debris laden with Asbestos .
More products out there to do the same thing i would say. Plus it really does not matter these guys were breaking the law

You really don’t get it do you?

The towers might not have fallen or at least the victims could have been given much more time if they had not stopped using asbestos.

Don’t you care about all the people that might have lived?

Read the link I posted.

BTW-Most asbestos deaths are heavily correlated with smoking cigarettes.

I get Micheal, And you always have a excuse . If they didn’t Have the airplane it MAY not have happen ether . More deaths have happen with asbestso than terrorists flying into buildings both tragic .I had friends die with asbestos in their lungs and one family member , just bad idea to have it thrown all over they frigging place by some yahoo saving a few bucks. BTW can you prove with out a doubt that the tower was structurally damaged the same ? Are you a forensic engineer even the man that designed it can not answer that . No one can answer that 100 percent Not even a road scholar as yourself . spin away smoking my *** lots of the guys didn’t smoke too.
Your buddy seems to be on the side of big business BTW No Bias opinion there now is there

Did you friends smoke too?

That is better predictor or death from asbestos exposure than asbestos alone.

Can YOU prove without a doubt that the towers didn’t fall sooner because of not using Asbestos? (It a ridiculous question)

The evidence supports my clime that Asbestos would have at least given the people that died more time to get out.

You now how precious every minute is as fireman.

Asbestos is an extremely useful product.

Some did some didn’t Micheal , No solid proof the out come would have been any different Micheal on the towers. depends on heat, structural damage and so on perhaps a few would made out to be crushed and smothered wth debris . A lot of what ifs
Long and short this material has been linked many many times to Lung disease . I think there be more chance to get sick from it, than Radon , But no one every say’s it is all to over blown , do offer radon testing?
yes it was a good product for fire resistance, but the problems from it are not worth it. perhaps using better building practices like sprinklers in the homes , better fire exiting emergency passages for High rise should be practiced . How long did it take them to start evacuation from the towers? Some were told to go back to their offices and wait. The deaths of the people in the towers were caused by many down falls not just the asbestos . Nice try though .
Perhaps we shouldn’t be Building such High buildings till a better way is found. BTW wasn’t there a story of a tower coming down in your favorite book. i guess we never learn .
Your right every second does count , staying in a fire damaged building is not smart
And i have no idea why there was such a delay and confusion in the evacuation we will never know for sure. How many times have you been in a motel and the alarm goes off and no one leaves? I seen it a lot, same as a meeting rooms. Been in a few when everyone just sits there. To blame the deaths on a decession to not use a dangerous material is irresponsible
BTW part of the problem was communication , What happens when you put your hub of communcations in prime target.
communications should never be installed were there is more risk to it.
It was a sad day for America and many other countries too Micheal . But to justify the use of asbestos is a little strange.

There are plenty of other measures in the design and construction of those buildings which could have been changed to delay or even prevent the fall of the towers. Asbestos is low on the list if it even deserves to be on the list. Mike just likes to argue. :wink:

Naw, it didn’t come down, it just never got finished. Union job. :mrgreen:

LOL you think?Mike just likes to argue

I have an incredible grasp of the totally obvious. :slight_smile:

No, I like science and watching those that have convinced themselves that the government always gets it right when they ban something makes me laugh.

Look at the millions who have died because DDT was banned.

[quote=“mlarson, post:13, topic:66916”]

No, I like science and watching those that have convinced themselves that the government always gets it right when they ban something makes me laugh.

Look at the millions who have died because DDT was banned./QUOTE
Now i know your just looking for a argument , you are kidding me right:roll:

Look for yourself.

Who did DDT ever harm?

You have to be ****ting me right? Ruffled gross population almost disappeared up home , fish were dying and so on. why dont we bring Agent Orange also . Micheal your something else for sure

Because of DDT?

Prove it.

And I asked about people goofy. :roll:

Watch and learn and prove me wrong if you can.

for every one for it is 10 against it , i do not need utube

Is that a stat you pulled from your backside?

Show me your proof.

If you didn’t watch it you chose to remain ignorant and have your cherished beliefs challenged.

Sad. Sad. Sad