Door that separates garage from living area

I saw your article about Attached Garage Fire Containment (http://www.nachi.org/attached-garage-fire-hazards.htm) but it didn’t mention which way the door should swing – into the garage or into the living area? Or doesn’t it matter?

Good question .
I’ve always have them sing out to the garage.
I could be wrong .

my experience is the vast majority of hinged residential exterior & garage entry doors swing into the living space

if any are installed to swing outward, alternative hinge(s) are usually installed to disallow hinge pin removal deterring easy b&e

there are exceptions & exclusions where step(s), stairs, landings, ramps or other considerations may factor into the equation…ymmv

my experience is the vast majority of hinged residential exterior & garage entry doors swing into the living space

if any are installed to swing outward, alternative hinge(s) are usually installed to deter easy b&e

there are exceptions & exclusions for door swing where step(s), stairs, landings, ramps or other considerations may factor into the equation…ymmv

I find them opening both ways. It seems if a door has a self closing device to help prevent toxic gases from entering the home that it should open out and when closed it would help create a tighter air seal .

Here in AZ I find 99% swing inside.

I think they should swing in. Just like the front door on a residence. You are more apt to be carrying items into your home and it is easier to have it swing in direction of travel. As Barry said, there is also an issue with the hinges. You would need security hinges to keep someone from entering the home by popping the pins. JMHO.

Most exterior doors that I have installed through the years have a notch and hole. So if you did take the pins out the door still could not be removed …see pic.

I can count on one or two hands the number of houses which do not have a step up into the home(areas with more slab foundations will see this more often). This automatically requires the door to swing in and not out over the step/s. The exception would be a platform present outside the door would allow a swing out.

Additionally, a swing out is rarely done due to space and the potential to damage vehicles parked next to the door.