AskNACHI.org » Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

Old 7/5/11, 3:16 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

My advice is to make an effort to see the movie Moonstruck, with Cher and Vincent Gardenia.

Mr. Gardenia plays the role of a saavy plumbing contractor. Watch the scene where he explains how to re-plumb a bathroom.

Where do you believe he could have substituted the word "PEX" in his speech?
Old 7/13/11, 1:24 PM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Hi

I have to same issues with my home. Dura-pex piping. Pin hole leaks on hot water side caused several thousands in damage. . They have no idea how many homes were affected. We have molds growing n lots of issues with it...Fixed 4-5 times but keep coming back... call us at 478 3639531......
thanks...let work together.......
Old 8/22/11, 3:02 PM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

We have also had twoo pipes split. One in april 2011 and another in aug.2011 we called the nibco company. They said they couldn't help us.
Old 8/22/11, 3:45 PM

I have tried to gather all the info I can on this (split pipes not fitting corrosion (seperate topic altogether). It seems the problems are random except for several split pipe issues during the period 2002-2006.

Defective pipe is the least possibiity but they could have had a bad run of pipe, good luck proving that.

Most issues are very likley due to plumbers carrying the pipe around on top of their truck for months in the sunlight.

Also there have been some PEX crimp tools that were out of calibration causing leaks at fittings.

Some issues also could have been caused by excessive test pressure applied to the system during the construction phase required presssure test.

I have DuraPex piping in my house, installed in mid 2001 under the slab and trim out done in early 2002 with zero failures or leaks of this sort.

B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
Serving Charlotte NC area and Fort Mill SC areas.
CMI Certified Master Inspector and Independent
License NC2449 and SC1597

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought."
- Albert Szent-Gyvrgyi, Nobel Prize for Medicine 1937
Old 8/29/11, 6:12 PM
Unregistered

Add me to the list, and see thread on this same piping at http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?21075-Why-would-NIBCO-CPI-Durapex-PEX-split-(lengthwise)-and-leak

Just had my 3rd leak this year repaired. Home built in 2003, Lake Wylie, SC area, leaks all within a few feet of the water heater. Plumber said it will most likely keep happening until I replace all hot water lines in the house, which I can't even begin to afford.

Any class action leads please contact me at reirizt@comporium.net.
Old 1/20/12, 11:37 AM
Unregistered

add me to your list just had my 5th repair in 3 years. in Rock Hill SC house built in 2000
Old 1/20/12, 9:23 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Class action settlement signed December 12. 2012

http://www.classaction.ca/actions/products-liability/current-actions/kitec-plumbing-systems.aspx

http://www.kitecsettlement.com/
Bryce

Last edited by bjeffrey; 1/20/12 at 9:26 PM.. Reason: additional web site added
Old 1/30/12, 10:12 PM
Unregistered

I have just had my 5th repair. I am now going to have all of the red pex removed from my house. All leaks on the hot water in the middle of the pipe. House was built in 1997. Had 3 leaks a couple of years ago. Then in the last month have 2 more. 1st 3 in the wall, last 2 in the ceiling. After 2nd leak, sent the pipe to Drua-pex, the told me nothing wron with the pipe must be the pressure.....Nothing wron with the pressure. Anyone know of any lawsuits?
Old 1/30/12, 10:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjeffrey View Post
Class action settlement signed December 12. 2012

http://www.classaction.ca/actions/products-liability/current-actions/kitec-plumbing-systems.aspx

http://www.kitecsettlement.com/
Bryce
This not against Dura-pex...anyone know of any against dura-pex and the red pex pipe?
Old 3/1/12, 5:39 PM

Had this type of pipe come up on a inspection today an info available?

Wayne Wilson CMI
East TN Home Inspections LLC
Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.
865-256-1490
https://www.myhomeinspection.net/

Old 3/1/12, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwilson3 View Post
Had this type of pipe come up on a inspection today an info available?

Be careful, there is no proof of any manuf defect that I know of, the issues could be due to improper storage of the pipe by plumbers. For example, they carry the PEX around for weeks on their trucks. Some also stress the pipes with too much pressure during initial testing. They also don't always install thermal expansion protection.

I think there may have been a defective run of pipe from a factory but good luck proving that.

I have the red durapex connected directly to a water heater now for 10 years. I think my pipes were made sometime in 2001. I have a thermal expansion tank since my well tank is isolated with a check valve that is there for my recirculation system.

B.A. King Home Inspections, LLC
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com
Serving Charlotte NC area and Fort Mill SC areas.
CMI Certified Master Inspector and Independent
License NC2449 and SC1597

"Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought."
- Albert Szent-Gyvrgyi, Nobel Prize for Medicine 1937
Old 3/1/12, 10:33 PM

Thanks Bruce there was no problem with it i just remembered something had been said and wanted a update

Wayne Wilson CMI
East TN Home Inspections LLC
Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Clinton, Farragut, Lenoir City, Pigeon Forge, Sevierville and all the surrounding areas.
865-256-1490
https://www.myhomeinspection.net/

Old 3/1/12, 10:53 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Misread, pay no attention to the man behind the curtain

Comprehensive Building Consultants
Naples Home Inspection, Naples Mold Inspection, Naples Radon Inspection, Bonita Springs Home Inspection, Bonita Springs Mold Inspection, Bonita Springs Radon Inspection.

Old 3/22/12, 11:49 PM
rickbarberree@gmail.com

I have had a flood in two of my homes which were plumbed at the same time with the same batch of pex that I picked up at Bogan Supply in Crestview Fl. Took them straight to site and plumbed homes. So, no storage issues here just bad pex pipe by Nibco. Waiting on reply from Nibco. Rick
Old 7/26/12, 7:51 PM
Unregistered

I live in mobile al. I am having problems with the pin holes on the hot water pipe. My home was built in 2009. I`have had to repair three leaks this year. My plummer said that the pipe is faulty, I am going to contact the manufactor.