AskNACHI.org » Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

Old 8/22/14, 12:06 AM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

Had a gushing leak develop yesterday in the attic on the 1" water inlet to the house. Made a big mess that I'm still working with insurance to assess and clean up. After reading up here I checked the PEX piping for the brand...yup. CPI Durapex brand. Had a 2" split along the length with no other signs of distress. House in Mobile, AL built 2007 - seems lots of affected people here in the Mobile area. After the 1" line it T's off into smaller 3/4" and 1/2" lines. All those I checked seem to be other brands so far, but I'll do a more in depth look this weekend. Looks like I need to consider complete replacement on the 1" line instead of the patch job.
Old 11/5/14, 3:14 AM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Please post your email address if you have had issues with Dura-Pex (Nibco) pipes bursting. I am collecting names to send to a lawyer re a class-action lawsuit.
Thanks.
Tina
reirizt@comporium.net
bernitamcmullen@gmail.com
geral.nabritt@gmail.com
Old 11/22/14, 12:01 PM
Unregistered

I'm all for a class action suit.....jonsue92@att.net...anyone know of any?
Old 12/21/14, 4:30 PM
Unregistered

We are on our second large leak. I posted pictures (and story) here:

http://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/2nd-pex-failure-in-1-year-help.59588/#post-441556

Does that look like anyone else's confirmed CPI DuraPex NIBCO piping? I can't identify the brand but I'm thinking its the problematic batch...

Thanks!

ps. Please add me to any class action info too - amcgar@hotmail.com
Old 1/10/15, 4:35 PM
Unregistered

We are on our 2nd leak in 6months...
Please contact us with updated info...
Afriddle@rhmail.org
Old 3/13/15, 8:20 PM
Unregistered

Our home was built 2006 in Lillian, AL in Baldwin County. We just experienced our first leak. Eventhough cpvc was requested by my husband, Durapex was used under our concrete foundation and stubd up into the walls about 1 foot. Fortunately, the contractor did convert to cpvc from there, but a pin hole leak occured flush with the foundation. As many others have said, the leak is right near the hot water heater.

ejones@bcbe.org
Old 3/23/15, 1:41 PM
Unregistered

We have had 6 splits in our CPI Durapex piping in the last year. Over $50,000 in repairs, emergency repairs and finally a repiping. We have been informed that our 2004 pipes were before the NIBCO acquisition and they will not honor it. This has been a complete disaster to our house and bank account. Our insurance rates have doubled in the past year and on top of that we were told the company may drop us if we reported any other problems. Couldn't sell our house until we repiped. Anyone else in Texas experiencing this problem?
Old 4/14/15, 6:41 PM
goodridehd@comcast.net

Mobile Alabama:
My first one was 3 1/2 years HW just inside sheet rock caused a helava mess. The second one just hit on the CW side in attic.
My pluming co. told me whether it be them or another plumer co. I will have another and another that it will not go away.
Old 4/14/15, 7:52 PM
goodridehd@comcast.net

I had my first failier 10 1/2 years after construction was completed, and the second failier 14 years.
I am now really worried what is to come. The plumer said he will be called back. A big part of his business Dura-Pex failiers. Home owners really need some help on this problem. My home is my retitrement.
Old 4/14/15, 8:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaughlin View Post
Charlotte NC -2003 home - Builder is John Wieland - Plumbing Sub was Pikes Plumbing - I just discovered my second pin-hole leak in my crawl-space in 8 months. This one has been misting my crawl-space for who knows how long. The insurance company just removed most of the insulation and did a thorough mold remediation. The house was built in 2003 in South Charlotte, NC. The pipe is white 3/4" CPI Dura Pex. Both leaks were within 10 feet of the hot-water heater; however, one leak was in the hot line, the other in the cold line. There have been issues with excessive water pressure in the neighborhood over the years. The pipe exhibited a longitudinal "failure/weakening".

Has anyone had similar issues?
It looks like it could be up in the thousands. What I see is a company going bankrup and sticking it to all the home owners
Old 4/14/15, 8:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
We built a house in 2007 and have Dura-Pex piping. We have had two leaks causing thousands of dollars of damage. Can anyone tell me if there is a class action lawsuit? Thank you Karen Lloyd 803-371-2203

I have not found one, I'll add your # to my list.
if I see anyting I will let you know
Old 4/20/15, 7:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodridehd@comcast.net View Post
Mobile Alabama:
My first one was 3 1/2 years HW just inside sheet rock caused a helava mess. The second one just hit on the CW side in attic.
My pluming co. told me whether it be them or another plumer co. I will have another and another that it will not go away.

I just had my Whole house Replumbed for $5000.
I sleep good at night now.
Contact me if you are interested in a Re-plumb.
I know a good master plumber who can knock it out in one day.
michaelingulfshores@gmail.com
Old 4/20/15, 7:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
bernitamcmullen@gmail.com
geral.nabritt@gmail.com

michaelingulfshores@gmail.com - Whole House Re-Plumb $5k in expense I want to file a claim against NIBCO
Old 5/18/15, 11:25 AM
Unregistered

My home is about seven years old. I have had several pin hole leaks close to the hot water heater on the hot side. It is the 3/4 inch clay color pipe. The leak is now in my slab. The plumber says I am going to have to run my new lines over head. The coast is going to be over $5000. I am starting my paper trail with Nibco. Any help would be appreciated

rrikard@lawrenceal.org
Old 9/16/15, 11:26 AM
Unregistered - lawton.nsr@gmail.com

Just had my whole house re-piped due to dura-pex pipe failure. Home built in Foley, AL 2004 by Gooden Homes. A neighbor also went through re-piping but her home is a Benchmark. I have a great plumbing company and they knew right away what the problem stemmed from. I would like to join the group with a class action suit.

lawton.nsr@gmail.com