AskNACHI.org » Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

Old 1/12/17, 4:18 PM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: Dura-Pex (NIBCO)Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
NIBCO/CPI Durapex Piping Investigation - Chimicles & Tikellis LLP
www.chimicles.com New Investigations

This firm is taking statements for possible action...my 2004 house in Loxley, Alabama just had its first hotwater line leak about 15 feet from the hotwater heater inside the wall...Luckily we caught it before major flood damage...plumber repaired the section where the CPI durapex line has just split...not at a joint. He said houses in the area were all experiencing the same issues due to the durapex piping...doesn't like it at all and told me it would burst again somewhere...RLong@Gulftel.com
Has anything been done about this? Our pipe fitting shot off and sprayed hot water all over the wood floors. They are having to be replaced now.
Old 2/13/17, 4:44 PM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I spoke to the firm today that is handling the case. Apparently it is still in discovery but appears to be going forward as class action. They are not looking for any more named plaintiffs at this point. The best thing to do is probably just keep detailed records so that you can seek compensation IF a settlement is ever reached.
Old 3/7/17, 10:17 AM
Unregistered

Lake Wylie SC home built in 2004, 4 Dura Pex leaks so far. Would like to join the class action suit to receive compensation if a settlement is reached. Is there contact info for the CA Law Suit? mschmid67@yahoo.com 704 512 8195. Marlene
Old 3/7/17, 10:31 AM
Unregistered

Can you provide the name and number of the firm> thank you Marlene
mschmidt67@yahoo.com
704 512 8195
Old 7/14/17, 9:24 PM
Unregistered

Just adding myself to the list. I know there hasn't been a post in several months.

San Antonio, Texas
2013 Built D.R. Horton Home
Had first leak a few weeks ago. Red NIBCO PEX tubing within 15ft of water heater.

Cjgiusti@gmail.com
Old 8/25/17, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Adding my name to the list. I am trying to track down information on the potential class action suit.

Builder: Saussy Burbank
Built in 2003-4
2 Leaks to date in the last 6 months (8/25/2017)
Tega Cay, SC
jwhiting@alumni.clemson.edu
Old 9/13/17, 4:59 AM
Carolyn Dinkins

I have had several leaks since 2013 and multiple repair in ceilings and walls.
Old 2/14/18, 12:10 AM
Unregistered

I have had the same issues as some of you. Rock Hill, SC. My home was built in 2005, moved in 2008. 1st leak last year resulted in hot line slab leak..not far from water heater(kitchen) and yo guessed it CPI dura pex pipe. 1st plumber that came out stated the pipe was garbage and to re-pipe as I will continue to have issues with leaks. Cost $11k to repair with water damage, mold etc. I have another leak as I type this which is thought to be another slab leak..considering re-pipe as I can not afford another costly repair job. I'm now worried about contacting my insurance company after reading this forum as it didn't occur to me that I could be dropped from them for filing too many claims..

If there is a list, class action suit, something add me please.

Trina

Celsia47952004@yahoo.com
Old 2/15/18, 5:12 PM
Unregistered

Two leaks within 10 months, both hot water lines less than 15-ft from the water heater. CPI Dura Pex pipe, both times the leak was a crack in the pipe body, not at a fitting.

House was built in 2005, located in Rock Hill, SC.

I have multiple quotes for full replacement of the defective pipe. Looking at $12K out of pocket including homeowners deductible for the water damage and the sheet rock repair.

I know someone who had the same problem 4 years ago and their homeowners (Allstate) did pay for the whole-house re-plumb but dropped them after the claim.

Extremely frustrating there there appears to be no recourse other than pay for the re-plumb out of pocket or deal with leaks (and water damage) piecemeal until insurance drops.

I'd be very interested to know if anybody has had any real results with the class action or individually?

Thanks!

Joe

j_kraft@outlook.com
Old 4/22/18, 7:59 PM
Unregistered

We built our house in 2007 in Rock Hill, SC. We have had multiple leaks and repairs over the years; major leak in 2015 under ceramic tiles in kitchen (slab foundation). So far this year, we have had 3 separate leaks in less than 3 months, two that have been located within a few feet from the hot water heater. We have received two quotes for re-plumbing the house. The second quote was thousands of dollars less. This plumber informed me that he has had many calls to homes in the area with the same problem and over the years his crew has developed a technique that is much less invasive to re-plumb/replace piping in whole house, which means less damage in walls, floors, etc.
With a previous leak, a different plumber had recommended installing a hot water heater expansion tank which I will plan to have installed very soon as I am still in the middle of having repairs done. Hopefully that will buy us some time as we start saving money to get the whole house re-plumbed some time in the near future. Anyone in the Rock Hill/Charlotte area who needs a plumber to re-plumb their house, please contact me and I can give you his name and contact info.

I AM ALSO TRYING TO RESEARCH A CLASS ACTION AGAINST CPI DURA PEX AS THIS HAS COST US THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. ANYONE WITH ANY NEW INFO OR UPDATES, PLEASE SHARE. THANK YOU!
Old 5/4/18, 3:49 PM
Unregistered

Same problem here. I live in Rock Hill, SC in the Ebenezer Village neighborhood. Apparently this whole neighborhood was built with this faulty Dura Pex pipe. My house was built in 2005 and I bought it in 2015 and so far we have 5 pinhole leaks on the ceiling but I am counting on more leaks soon, and worry it will be under the slab and will cause major damages. I did notice other repair marks on the ceiling from previous owner so it has to be more damages before. I also noticed other families in this neighborhood have the same problem. Only got a piece of the pipe from one of the repairs and it has the W symbol on it so not sure of the manufacturer, or supplier but I am sure they were all manufactured by CPI.

I contacted NIBCO and they told me they only started making their Dura Pex products in 2006, once they bought CPI, pretty much nothing they can do for us.

Needing some help here as far as the next step. This is ridiculous that they built these houses using faulty pipe.

David
doan141@gmail.com
Old 5/4/18, 3:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
We built our house in 2007 in Rock Hill, SC. We have had multiple leaks and repairs over the years; major leak in 2015 under ceramic tiles in kitchen (slab foundation). So far this year, we have had 3 separate leaks in less than 3 months, two that have been located within a few feet from the hot water heater. We have received two quotes for re-plumbing the house. The second quote was thousands of dollars less. This plumber informed me that he has had many calls to homes in the area with the same problem and over the years his crew has developed a technique that is much less invasive to re-plumb/replace piping in whole house, which means less damage in walls, floors, etc.
With a previous leak, a different plumber had recommended installing a hot water heater expansion tank which I will plan to have installed very soon as I am still in the middle of having repairs done. Hopefully that will buy us some time as we start saving money to get the whole house re-plumbed some time in the near future. Anyone in the Rock Hill/Charlotte area who needs a plumber to re-plumb their house, please contact me and I can give you his name and contact info.

I AM ALSO TRYING TO RESEARCH A CLASS ACTION AGAINST CPI DURA PEX AS THIS HAS COST US THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN THE LAST COUPLE OF YEARS. ANYONE WITH ANY NEW INFO OR UPDATES, PLEASE SHARE. THANK YOU!
Hi, I live in Rock Hill area, what is your contact or the contact for the plumber you referring to above?
Old 5/5/18, 7:50 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Send a message via AIM to jfrederick

Quote:
Same problem here. I live in Rock Hill, SC in the Ebenezer Village neighborhood. Apparently this whole neighborhood was built with this faulty Dura Pex pipe. My house was built in 2005 and I bought it in 2015 and so far we have 5 pinhole leaks on the ceiling but I am counting on more leaks soon, and worry it will be under the slab and will cause major damages. I did notice other repair marks on the ceiling from previous owner so it has to be more damages before. I also noticed other families in this neighborhood have the same problem. Only got a piece of the pipe from one of the repairs and it has the W symbol on it so not sure of the manufacturer, or supplier but I am sure they were all manufactured by CPI.

I contacted NIBCO and they told me they only started making their Dura Pex products in 2006, once they bought CPI, pretty much nothing they can do for us.

Needing some help here as far as the next step. This is ridiculous that they built these houses using faulty pipe.

David
doan141@gmail.com
Can you post a picture of your piece of piping for reference please? TIA.

http://aspecresidential.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Old 8/28/18, 9:06 PM
Unregistered

Bay Minette, Al.
Our home was build in 2002. We have had over 5 leaks in our PEX pipes. We are just finding out about the issue with PEX. This last leak caused major flooding in the master bathroom. We first noticed that the floors in the bathrooms were warm to touch but was not aware of the leak until we received our electric and water bill. Both bills had doubled in usage. We are now looking at having our house re-piped. Are there any lawyers in my area or lawsuits? Please let me know if anyone has information.
( brooklyndennice@gmail.com ) Thanks in advance!
Old 8/28/18, 9:23 PM
Unregistered

Bay Minette, Al.
Our home was build in 2002. We have had over 5 leaks in our PEX pipes. We are just finding out about the issue with PEX. This last leak caused major flooding in the master bathroom. We first noticed that the floors in the bathrooms were warm to touch but was not aware of the leak until we received our electric and water bill. Both bills had doubled in usage. We are now looking at having our house re-piped. Are there any lawyers in my area or lawsuits? Please let me know if anyone has information.
( brooklyndennice@gmail.com ) Thanks in advance!

Please add me to the lawsuit.