Electric substation

Hi , i am about to buy a home that is one block and a half away from an electric substation and I would like to know it if is enough safe . Pleas use google maps:
3011 W Wilshire Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK, 73116
Using the satelit view option you’ll see the electric station to the left close to the lake. I want to know how bad is the magnetic field of those stations and how long it goes.
Thanks i appreacciate it.
:slight_smile:

No one here can possibly figure that out for you.

If you’re concerned to that degree, it may be best to choose another location.

Perhaps you should call the substation’s owner & please report back what the response was.
Don’t forget to hire an INachi inspector!

Well that wouldn’t be true…

No one here has the gumption to try, is more like it.

Hilda, based upon my observations depicted through google maps; the size of the transmission line hardware indicates that this is a small sub-station. Your house is way too far away to be of any concern (any more than the concern about the power line going down the street in front of your house).

Do you have a medical condition concerning EMF?
If so, test.

You can tell the power of the sub-station by the insulators on the poles and type of pole.

Thanks David for this info we all learn from posts like this … Roy

You can’t draw any meaningful conclusions related to a site’s EMF exposure risk based on a few internet photos of an online map.

1 Like

Bull ****. I just did.

I commission power plants for a living.

The biggest danger here is a transformer blowing up if you were playing ball at the park next to the sub-station.

Her house is 475 meters from the sub-station. Do you know the EMF fall off rate per/meter?

A hair dryer: 2,000 (µT) @ 3cm.
7 (µT) @ 30 cm
0.03 (µT) @ 1 m

I live right beside a tiny one and haven’t had any problem whatsoever.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse3.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.thBnzClQ1F5TnE22w4ZVEQHaF7%26pid%3D15.1&f=1

However, my brother lives on the other side of it, and he is beginning to complain of migraines. So I think the evidence of its affects are still unclear.

https://images.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fnekonekomovielitterbox.files.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F06%2Fmutants82.jpg&f=1

I never claimed she either had, nor didn’t have, an issue.
Only that it can’t be forensically identified from a few online photos.

All the rest is supposition.

You want to state that you can definitively know the site’s values without actually seeing the site, the equipment, the conditions, etc. ? Or what else is nearby?
Go ahead. Have at it.

You see the issue is, you can’t even make a recommendation for this lady.

Just recommend further evaluation by a licensed professional. Needed or not.

If you can’t state that it is likely or not likely of an issue, why should she hire you to inspect her property?

The magnetic field of the earth is 50 (µT).
I am sure she has at least one hair dryer at 2,000 (µT).
She got more rads at her computer asking the question than she would get from a sub-station 1/3 of a mile away.

Do you know that a (µT) is 1,000,000th of a Tesla.

Your going to send her on a mission to find if 0.00000003 of a Tesla is cause for concern IF the house was 1 meter away. Just to get dooped by a Home Inspector selling ancillary services to the uneducated…

Did you even look at the map before you announced your profound recommendation? That sub-station isn’t near anything…

Never tried or claimed to. Making wild *** guesses based on grainy photos that may or may not even be the subject property (did you verify?) may be your forte, certainly not mine.

I made no such recommendation, perhaps you can re-read what was posted.

I never offered to inspect her property, nor did I suggest that I wanted her to hire me to investigate the concern.

I don’t sell EMF testing or anything even close to that “ancillary service”.
As a matter of fact, you recommended that she “test” if she has a condition.

It really doesn’t matter, I made no recommendation, profound or otherwise.

I’m not sure the OP even asked a cogent question. You seem happy to spout ad nauseam about everyone else’s shortcomings in this subject matter, so obviously it’s very important to you.

Just because someone is pedantic and shouts louder than others, doesn’t make their opinion more valid.

So once again, have at it.

Both of you guys should discuss your increasingly heated issues elsewhere. This is a public forum where you represent the organization.

Thanks for the reminder, I’ll take your advice.

Dom.

Below copied from: Michael R
The strongest magnetic fields are usually emitted from high voltage transmission lines — the power lines on the big, tall metal towers. To be sure that you are reducing the exposure levels to 0.5 milligauss (mG) or less, a safety distance of 700 feet may be needed. It could be much less, but sometimes more. You must test with a gaussmeter to be sure.

It really doesn’t matter,** I made no recommendation**, profound or otherwise.

#1 you opened your mouth saying no one could possibly figure this out.
From your own post; “I don’t sell EMF testing or anything even close to that “ancillary service”.” But you just had to put your two cents worth in.
Who made you the moderator of the Inspection Industry?

#2 You told someone based upon all the facts (fuzzy pis’s and all) that she should buy another house if she had concerns.

I’m not sure the OP even asked a cogent question. You seem happy to spout ad nauseam about everyone else’s shortcomings in this subject matter, so obviously it’s very important to you.

Yup, it’s important to me how the public perceives Home Inspections.
It matters to me that you don’t fuel the fire with guesses and unsupported assessments. You made a point that we can not be definitive in this assessment, but you made a definitive reply (based upon the fact you don’t know anything about the subject).

Just because someone is pedantic and shouts louder than others, doesn’t make their opinion more valid.

No matter how loud you think I’m yelling, I posted facts. Are you disputing them?
I posted pic’s; in your own omission you never looked at the Google Map as she asked.
You say: “may not even be the subject property (did you verify?)”. Your asking me if I verified?!

I’m not sure the OP even asked a cogent question.

It was only in-cogent to someone unable to understand the subject in question.
So now it’s the OP’s fault…

I didn’t realize (or consider) that this is a public forum.
I don’t hide behind hidden forums to post my opinion. Yes, many of my clients read posts like this and tell me that they called me because of what I made public.

Right or wrong opinion, I did my job. I OBSERVED, DOCUMENTED based on provided and accessible information, and REPORTED.

You on the other hand, you Did Not OBSERVE. And REPORTED based upon Old Wives Tales and opinion w/o any DOCUMENTATION to support your Public Opinion.
Then you made a public opinion that induces all who read to run from your imaginary Boogie Man in the closet.

It’s not just you. By all means, your not alone in this.
If anyone is going to say anything here or in your Inspection Reports, it would behoove them to collect the facts before they start writing off at the mouth. You don’t have to be 100% right, just able to make an argument based on observations, not made up perceptions.

I have answered many calls on these questions exactly like this one. It’s not a unique concern. We all know we can’t predict the exact exposure level without testing, but you can make an informed opinion to assist your client in understand how things work so they can adjust their perception and expectations. No one will hold you to the outcome for providing an option. It’s when you make factual statements like “No one here can do that”, when someone will.

[QUOT[COLOR=Blue]E] I want to know how bad is the magnetic field of those stations and how long it goes.
[/QUOTE]

This is a “relative question” where a “relative answer” is acceptable.

My Relative Answer:

#1 The power of the magnetic field is based upon the power of the sub-station equipment. This can be visually determined by looking at the equipment.

#2 How long it goes is based upon distance and stuff between point A and point B.
Well it’s 475 meters to the sub-station (did you measure it? I did.).

There are 500 ft of connected multi family units and 2 commercial buildings in line of sight between the house and the power plant (yes, this is part of the equation).

End of Lesson for today.
I’m out…

Hi , thanks for all your replies , I apologies my English is not perfect , I am bilingual and my native language is Spanish. Thanks for take the time for reply this post. I think I’ll be fine buying this property!
I called someone that is an expert and show him the pictures and he said will cost me 100 a telephone consult !
I just bought a tester lol, I’ll try use it tomorrow and I’ll let you know the numbers that I probably won’t know how to read.
Thanks !

You’re inability to have a calm and respectful dialogue is well documented.

Engaging in civil conversation with you is pointless, as you’ve demonstrated for many years on this board.

Have a great day!

Dom.