Fireplace Hearth Advice Please

Hello,

I’m hoping you might be able to give me some clear advise on how I should proceed in completing my fireplace remodel.

I have attached a photo for reference.

I have a wood burning fireplace, and when we remodeled, we originally had other plans, so we ran the hardwood floors up the edge of the fireplace. Now that we’ve decided to keep this fireplace, we now have to put in a hearth. The area is small and I would love to have a hearth that people don’t trip over. I would love to have a piece of glass, but I think that’s not up to code.

It sounds like I need to have a hearth that’s 16’ deep, 4’ tall, and 8’ past each side; however, I was reading on your website about a hearth extension, not sure exactly what that is, but was worried because I think my hearth extension is now my wood floors. Is this correct?

Ultimately, I’m wondering if I get a slab of stone, to the above mentioned dimension, and place it on top of my wood floors, am I within code? And glass is out of the question…?

I thank you for your time and hope you have a few spare minutes to reply.
Elizabeth

You have already posted this question on this message board and received answers. No need to post again.

In case you can’t locate the thread that you began a couple of weeks ago… http://www.nachi.org/forum/f54/fireplace-hearth-106905/