AskNACHI.org » Foundation wall crack questions

Old 12/6/17, 10:48 PM
New User

Please Note: Jon Fife is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Foundation wall crack questions

Hi everyone. New to the forum and a laymen. I live in a split level home in Michigan. The lower level has about 3 feet bellow grade. The house was built in 1998 and I have lived in it for about 4 years.

What started as some wet carpet on the finished lower level lead to the discovery of a crack in the foundation wall from floor to top of the foundation. Crack is hairline at its narrowest and about 1/16" at its widest (top of the foundation).

My plan was the have this excavated from the exterior and repaired.

The issue is the more I investigate the more I find. Upon pulling the carpet back a little, there is a crack in the floor at relatively the same place. I can't tell how far across the floor it extends as I haven't pulled the carpet back but a few inches. The crack in the floor however has been repaired with a black sealant.

I'm not sure how concerned I should be about foundation issues or if I should just proceed with having the wall crack repaired as planned.

Any insight is much appreciated. I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.

Last edited by Jon Fife; 12/7/17 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: Resize image
Old 12/6/17, 11:19 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Foundation wall crack questions

Jon, where are you located in MI? The reason that I ask is because some of us know the BEST person for your situation in S/E MI.

P.S. can you reduce the pics a little? It is hard to visualize when scrolling back and forth.

Awards Committee Member
SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE:
http://co.nachi.org/inachiawards/

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.

Larry Kage, CMI 2004-2017
State Licensed Builder since 1973
InterNACHI Lifetime Member
~retired~

The above post represents my personal opinion.
Old 12/7/17, 9:08 AM
Unregistered

Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

I know exactly who you're referring to. I've reached out to him online and plan on calling the number listed in his profile. We are on opposite sides of the state however.
I'll work on reducing the pics. Thanks for your response.
Old 12/7/17, 9:25 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Stopping the water from the exterior is the best fix, make sure the homes foundation drain is working at the same time.

J Jeff Zehnder
Inspecting Raleigh NC and the surrounding area
www.jjeffzehnder.com
http://www.carolinahomeinspections.com/