Framing Inspection once the walls are up (posted by Lisa Leach)

[ASKNACHI]This question was posted on AskNACHI.org by Lisa Leach (from Maricopa, Arizona). [/ASKNACHI] was wondering if I could get an expert opinion please?

We were supposed to have a framing inspection and we were not notified and the house is finished.

The builder said they will cut 6 holes in the wall so that we may complete our framing inspection.

For a 2 storey 4014sq ft house - is this reasonable? I can’t see how we can have a proper framing inspection now that the house is complete.

You can’t have a proper framing inspection by cutting random sections from the walls/ceilings. Those access ports only show whats visible in the area of the cut outs.

Ideally as you realize the idea of a framing inspection is to have the inspection before any drywall is installed.

In my area the municipal building inspector has to approve the framing before the drywall goes up.

I think I would be asking the builder for a warranty on the framing considering he did not comply with the agreement you have with him.

As Ray said, it is now impossible to do a proper framing inspection. Cutting 6 holes in the drywall to check the framing of a two story house is like looking in the trunk of your car to find a problem with the transmission.

Lisa
Raymond is right you can’t do a framing inspection on a finished home unless they remove all the drywall, find a NACHI inspector and have him inspection what he can (ie attic, crawlspace, basement, any unfinished spaces and the home in general) this will give the inspector somewhat of a reference/ideal as to whether or not you have a contractor that is good, bad or somewhere in between. As Raymond said ask the builder for a warranty on the framing and any damages that may occur. Have your layer check the warranty, most aren’t worth the paper there written on.

Good Luck on your new home!!!

Gary L. Rusk
HSS PROPERTY INSPECTION

Speak to the local building official responsible for the rough framing sign off. It is possible to make access to critical framing areas for further inspection. For example, if you pull an “As Built” permit on a second story addition constructed with out proper permits, the building official will as for plans and determine high load and or stress areas. They will then ask for these areas to be made accessible for further inspection. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than nothing. You may for instance be concerned with structural bracing and or simpson strong tie hardware installation at a second story living area above a garage opening.

Speak to the local building official responsible for the rough framing sign off. It is possible to make access to critical framing areas for further inspection. For example, if you pull an “As Built” permit on a second story addition constructed with out proper permits, the building official will ask for plans and determine high load and or stress areas. They will then ask for these areas to be made accessible for further inspection. It’s not perfect, but it’s better than nothing. You may for instance be concerned with structural bracing and or simpson strong tie hardware installation at a second story living area above a garage opening.