Inspector interprets contents of attic insulation

Is an inspector allowed to interpret the composition of attic insulation other than to say that it is fiberglass or vermiculite? In his report, is he allowed to say in two captions under two photos, “Possible asbestos visible in attic.”? Is he allowed to say, “Vermiculite insulation was a very commonly used material and is no longer in use. Much of this material was marketed as the brand ‘Zonolite’, which is is believed to contain asbestos,”?

It seems to me that he has already decided that the vermiculite, which was apparently under the blown-in fiberglass insulation and installed long before I moved in (as was the fiberglass insulation on top of it), was indeed from the Libby, Montana mine. The buyers of my home thought so. They immediately cancelled the contract.

I lost a contract because he used the word “asbestos” throughout his description of the material in my attic. Further, I now have to have the material removed at a possible cost of $7,000.00 without even knowing if the vermiculite was indeed mined in Montana or was safely obtained elsewhere. In addition, because I had a contract and lost it, real estate agents are now curious as to why my house was recently reactivated. I may never be able to sell my house because of this inspector.

Sounds like the inspector did his job for his client and your inspector didn’t do his job for you.

Absolutely he is ALLOWED to inform his client that a product in YOUR house may be ACM (Asbestos Containing Material). It would then be appropriate to suggest getting it tested to see if it is OR is not.

He would be negligent if he did not inform his client of the presence of the material and that it is a potential asbestos containing material.

Why would you spend $7,000 to have it removed without first having it tested to determine whether or not it is, in fact, asbestos containing?

Sounds like a great inspector. Vermiculite is easy to identify. If you never sell the house it’s your fault, not the inspectors.

Did you test it before you spent $7k to remove it?

Recommendations from the EPA If You Have Vermiculite Insulation. YOU SHOULD ASSUME THE VERMICULITE CONTAINS ASBESTOS AND DO NOT DISTURB IT! Any disturbance could potentially release asbestos fibers into the air. If you absolutely have to go in your attic and it contains vermiculite insulation, you should limit the number of trips you make and shorten the length of those trips in order to help limit your potential exposure. The EPA recommends that you:[FONT=Arial][size=2]•   Leave vermiculite insulation undisturbed in your attic or in your walls.•   [/size][/FONT]Do not store boxes or other items in your attic if it contains vermiculite insulation.[FONT=Arial][size=2]•[/size][/FONT]Do not allow children to play in an attic with vermiculite insulation.[FONT=Arial][size=2]•[/size][/FONT] Do not attempt to remove the insulation yourself.[FONT=Arial][size=2]•[/size][/FONT]  Hire a professional asbestos contractor if you plan to remodel or conduct renovations that would disturb the vermiculite in your attic or walls to make sure the material is safely handled and/or removed. For more information [size=2]https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/protect-your-family-asbestos-contaminated-vermiculite-insulation[/size]](https://www.epa.gov/asbestos/protect-your-family-asbestos-contaminated-vermiculite-insulation)

Sounds like a very competent well trained inspector, good job Mr. Inspector.