AskNACHI.org » Power Strip Fire Hazard


Reply
  #1  
Old 11/22/18, 11:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Please Note: is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Power Strip Fire Hazard

I have just had an inspection from my local fire departmemt and decided to check out their claims.

They have requested that I remove all or most of the power strips in my house for the following reason ... and their explanation though it sounds reasonable, is not mentioned in the information I have read on your site.

They said the power strip (with or without surge protection) forces the house wiring (inside the walls) to supply more power than was intended. They say the wires to an outlet with 2 plugs are only designed to handle the power for 2 items and using a power strip could overheat the wiring and cause a potential fire in my home.

Does this sound like a real possibility to you and if so could you please add this information to your warnings so others can know the danger they pose.

Thank you,
shari.galley@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11/23/18, 5:33 AM
Joshua L. Frederick Joshua L. Frederick is online now
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Defiance, OH
Posts: 4,898
Send a message via AIM to jfrederick
Default Re: Power Strip Fire Hazard

Power Strips: Their Uses and Hazards - InterNACHI




http://aspecresidential.com

Defiance home inspector
Northwest Ohio home inspector
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11/23/18, 8:43 AM
Marcel R. Cyr, CMI's Avatar
Marcel R. Cyr, CMI Marcel R. Cyr, CMI is offline
Certified Master Inspector ®
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Winslow, ME
Posts: 31,149
Default Re: Power Strip Fire Hazard

Power strip use should not always be put out as a negative.

They are designed to make the use of small appliances more convenient.
A good explanation of their use is explained here;

How to Properly Use a Power Strip | Maryland Electrical Company















CMI 2004-2017 Retired

Awards Committee Member
U.S. Member of the Year Winner 2009
45 Years Residential/Commercial Builder
Submit your AWARDS NOMINATIONS here
The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers and any rules updates.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11/23/18, 11:41 AM
David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40's Avatar
David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40 David A. Andersen, TN HI# 40 is offline
Retired Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 10,594
Default Re: Power Strip Fire Hazard

Quote:
They said the power strip (with or without surge protection) forces the house wiring (inside the walls) to supply more power than was intended.

That would not be correct.

Power is not forced through the strip, it is "drawn" through it.



The amount of power going through the strip is determined by the devices attached and turned on, which can draw more current through the strip than intended for that device.



If you have six 15 amp devices plugged into a power strip and you decide to turn them all on at once, the rated 15 amp wall outlet can not take the draw and will become a heater and burn up.



You have to use the brains God gave you to not do this.

It is not a Home Inspectors job to keep people from being stupid. It's your responsibility to read the instruction on the device and comply (or not use it in the first place).



David A. Andersen & Associates
Clarksville - Nashville Home Inspector Lic#40 (Retired)
ITC Level III Thermographer Cert#1958
Building Science Thermographer Cert#33784
HVAC Certification EPA Cert#2046620
BPI# 5015804
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11/23/18, 2:07 PM
Scott A. Simpson Scott A. Simpson is offline
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Merrimack N.H.
Posts: 136
Default Re: Power Strip Fire Hazard

Your fire departments claims were fundamentally sound. Perhaps their explanation of, (or your understanding of their explanation) the issues surrounding power strips was not technically correct. Even if their technical explanation may have been slightly off base their message was true. Many fires each year are attributed to overheating/failure of power strips that are overloaded. Any firefighter that has been on the job for any length of time has been to fires resulting from overloaded power strips and has likely responded to a number of close calls where the power strip overheated and melted.
Being aware of the risks involved with these devices can go a long way toward fire prevention. That being said from a public safety perspective we have to assume that people will not always use products in a prudent manner.




Scott Simpson, CPI
Reeds Ferry Home Inspections LLC
Merrimack New Hampshire
http://www.reedsferryhomeinspections.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 2:23 PM.

no new posts