testing central a/c in winter (posted by tanya marquette)

[ASKNACHI]This question was posted on AskNACHI.org by tanya marquette (from new paltz, new york). [/ASKNACHI]what is the nachi position on testing central a/c systems in winter months.

are there any special protocols to follow at this time of year.

what concerns are there for damage to the house?

I do not check AC systems when the exterior temp is below 65. It may cause damage to the unit due to lack of lubrication. I do test heat pumps in the winter as they are designed to work in lower temperatures. If a unit must be tested in the winter, it should only be done by a licensed HVAC contractor. For more info check out: http://www.inspect-ny.com/aircond/aircond08.htm

It’s not a NACHI position–it’s a manufacturer’s recommendation.

We go by the Manufacturer’s recommendations.

You can modify an HVAC unit to be run at any OA Temp.

However, you must be EPA certified and a qualified HVAC Tech at the least, and will have to pay extra for this service as it is not in the inspection standard.

You will likely have trouble getting a Mechanical Contractor to do this service. Your best bet is a qualified and certified HI.

Simple answer - don’t do it if temp has not been at least 60 degrees for past 24 hours. Can it be done - yes. As HI’s do we do it - no.

Double megga dittos here. I never start up the AC unit in the winter when temps have been below 65 degrees. I do check to see the AC unit has the proper size breaker, is clean, sitting on a level pad, has a disconnect near by, and things like that.