There are now 397 Certified Master Inspectors in the world.

See all the Certified Master Inspectors here.

Congratulations all! Now I have to change my web site. I was claiming only 365. :slight_smile:

Hello all CMI
I am glad that we now have the recorded amount and invite all to share there info on the message board.
I have saved others money just by recommending CMI inspectors in other areas of Ontario,this is because I believe that you need to be really commited in this field to help people and the CE proves this.:smiley:

I received an invitation to be involved in schooling for IR in toronto,the person I talked to said it did not matter how good an inspector you are all will need to get IR schooling by next year, is this really going to happen or is he blowing sunshine up my ***.

Your Realtor organization is not going to allow a requirement that every home inspector includes IR with their home inspection.

This is an attempt to sell cameras and training. IR during a normal home inspection is a “third nipple” that has not found any real benefit, yet.

Why? Put 20 home inspectors in the same building with 20 IR cameras and you will get 20 different reports.

For energy efficiency inspections blower doors are the only devices that precisely measure the extent of air leaks, requirement for mechanical air, and can assist in locating air leaks. Air leaks…not lack of insulation…is the major cause of energy inefficiency. IR cameras and moisture meters, in addition to the blower door, can help identify moisture issues.

That doesn’t mean that, like some guys, you couldn’t buy an IR camera and convince someone that you are ultra-high tech, though.

That’s because of Instamatic IR Training.
20 exposures as I recall!

Weather conditions will give 20 different blower door results too!

Next you’ll be telling us BD’s are fool proof! Not!

Do you correct for differences in the properties of air?

If so, what is the cubic feet of air at seal level that is 70F, 50% rh?

Good questions.

Yes, you do make corrections. The more sophisticated BDs will adjust themselves, automatically. Additionally, you will input the weather conditions, outdoor and indoor temperature, relative humidity and location according to sea level…prior to the test. All of these are factored into the results.

Additionally, the height of the building (for stack effect) as well as any wind blocks (trees shrubs) are also taken into consideration.

It’s amazing what they can do.

I know…

Now, if I can only get them to adjust for T-reflect!

Why do I keep finding massive amounts of energy deficiencies when I
come behind RESNET and BPI energy auditors with my IR camera?
Many times I am there to do a home inspection and I find stuff that
energy auditors miss. How can this keep happening???

This does not include all the other issues I find that other home inspectors
miss during their home inspections? How can this keep happening over
and over?

And you say IR is useless? This the 21st century man, please join us.

Mr. Cotter, Mr. Cotter. I know.

You haven’t followed behind Pseudo Jim yet.:wink:

Well, Professor, let me see if I can larson this down for you to be able to understand.

BPI Energy Auditors, such as myself, simply point out to the home owner the important issues that are affecting their energy efficiency. It is up to the homeowner to actually do, or to contract, the work.

Thus, after the BPI energy Auditor has pointed out the air leaks, for example, and the home owner has reduced their heating and cooling bill by up to 62% as a result of having the air leaks mitigated…that little patch of missing insulation that was pointed out might be something they meant to get to later.

Unlike a Professors with their new cameras performing what they like to call “energy audits”, BPI and RESnet energy auditors actually provide the client with a written scope of work and a written description of the amount of money that can be saved from their utility bills as a result of getting the work done that he recommends. Their reports are much more meaningful than photos of missing air filters. Even certified energy auditors who use IR thermography will prioritize air leaks over missing pieces of insulation as they explain all of the work that needs to be done, depending upon the circumstances. They will explain to their clients how important it is to fix the air leaks BEFORE covering them with an air filter.

It is then up to the client to get the work done and to decide whether or not to perform all or some of the recommendations made by the BPI or RESnet energy auditor. Sometimes they choose to do the most important, first. Sometimes they choose to put the whole thing off and sell the house…so that some Professor like you can come by and follow the BPI energy auditor and find a missing piece of insulation.

Thus, Professor, you can follow behind certified energy auditors all day long with your camera and find things that the home owner decided not to fix, or put off in order to tackle a higher priority, all the time.

Much as the majority of your posts…it means nothing.

Please answer my question about why these energy auditors
miss so many issues without an IR camera???

I agree John. That energy audit craze is a bunch of hocus-pokus BS. Everyone is getting certified for it but the payback is nill unless you are a retrofit contractor. Some people just don’t get it!!;):wink:

Perhaps you are a liar, John, simply making it up to create a need for your course that teaches people what you learned the first six months you owned your camera.

You have no proof. As far as anyone can tell, this may have happened to you one time, if at all. You seem to have too much information about what the guy before you used, said and did. I can’t really see that many people paying you…or anyone else…a second time for a second energy audit.

Certainly, now, like everything else…you will try to fabricate some quick “statistics” out of your butt to back you up…but I (and many others) are convinced that it never happened to you, more than once. You are asking me “why?” and I am responding with…it never happened.

I’m putting you back on ignore, now. I’m done playing with you. I have two reports to finish before I leave town for the 4th. When I feel like tweaking your nose again, I’ll check in on your BS later.

I love you Pseudo Jim.

Your make me laugh. :wink:

Self denial is not dealing with reality**

**Below is a well written report about IR, that shows various
energy issues, of which, could not be found sometimes using
traditional energy audit methods. Some areas are of a house
are not easily accessible, or not at all, but IR helps us see
what the naked eye cannot see or may pass over.
Using Infrared for Residential Energy Surveys

Just sales person trying to get you to buy their course and sell you a camera .
Many snake oil sales people are here . Please be VERY carefull.

400 CMIs now.

Talk about thread wander!
I’m going to wander some more.
The so called Energy audit that just uses a pressure fan is simply a leak test that measures the amount of air leaking into or out of the space being tested.
A complete energy audit would include IR and an analysis of the total heat loss or gain of the space being evaluated. The actual heat loss/gain would be compared with the calculated loss/gain of the structure and a recommendation of remediation action to correct any deficiencies the calculations reveal. A cost/benefit analysis would also be included. Sounds like a job a competent HVAC engineer would do.