CMI imposter?

Dwight Barnett claims to be a certified master inspector. But I can not find him listed on certifiedmasterinspector.org . Also he gives bad advice that could kill somebody. Bleach does not kill mold. Just makes it look like it does. Here is the link to his article http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2007/sep/07/home_bathroom_fungus_farm_needs_detective_work_use/

What can be done about him?

Dwight Barnett is a certified master inspector with the American Society of Home Inspectors. Write to him with home-improvement questions at C. Dwight Barnett, Evansville Courier & Press, P.O. Box 286, Evansville, IN 47702.

This was under his article so I posted it here.

HUMMMM what are there standards for CMI???

Well, that may be only partially true. READ THIS

I have seen to many cases personally that a client used bleach to kill mold. If none of the cases the mold was killed. If you had the mold in a controlled condition or on a nonporous surface bleach would probably kill it. But in the instance that Mr. Barnett is talking about, bleach will not work. Nice talking with you again Mike.

I do not think an ASHI member can call themselves a CMI or a certified master inspector without being certified by the Master Inspector Certification Board , because they own the rights.

I am a CMI but not very active like I should be. I have been swapped lately with business. If anybody on the board can verify what I have said is correct, it would be greatly appreciated.

I could put on my website I am an Arizona Certified Master Inspector and nobody could do a thing about it.

In Arizona we are certified by the state, I’m an inspector, but not a master, so I would not use the term in the first place, but nobody can tell me I cannot use a common word (Master) found in the dictionary on my websites…:smiley:

Not if the phrase is trademarked. I believe Certified Master Inspector is trademarked.

“Arizona Certified Master Inspector” is not trademarked…:smiley:

Nor is Certified Massa Inspector. :wink:

So I could put in a newspaper article that I am a certified ASHI inspector with the International Association of Home Inspectors without worry from ASHI coming after me because I am not a member.

If you used the word ASHI and are not a member of course they would contact you.

If this Certified ASHI inspector (in which he is) wants to call himself a Master, why would that make any difference.

He is not using the CMI term, he is simply saying he is a “Certified ASHI” “Master Inspector”.

He is a “Certified ASHI Inspector”

If he wants to say he is a “Master”, big deal, maybe he is, I don’t know the man…:smiley:

Hey James,

Look at the bright side…he didn’t spend $375.00 for the logo…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Everbody, just keep do not take any legal advice from Dale

DO NOT USE BLEACH TO KILL MOLD

I think the ASHI Great Lakes chapter had a CMI program way before the current program

By looking at his location he might have gotten it through them

I was a very hard to get - real high rope to jump over

rlb

Hey James,

Now that you got me thinking.

I’m going to put on my websites I’m a “Arizona Certified Master Inspector”

Even if I don’t think anybody really is, using the term “Master”.

But as everybody has said all along, CMI is just a marketing gimmick…or sentence someone states to the public so the public thinks (perceives) they are like a “Master Plumber” Master Carpenter", etc.

ACMI, Arizona Certified Master Inspector…:smiley:

Hell, I might as well add this idea to my websites, the Presale Inspection idea sure as hell isn’t working…:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

But the Commercial inspection business is great, and the Investors are coming out of their closets to buy distressed properties…business is great…:smiley: :smiley: …gotta love it…:smiley:

But…:smiley:

If someone called me “just” because they saw “Arizona Certified Master Inspector” on one of my website, hell, every inspection counts…:smiley:

Mold Remediation/Cleanup and Biocides
The purpose of mold remediation is to remove the mold to prevent human exposure and damage to building materials and furnishings. It is necessary to clean up mold contamination, not just to kill the mold. Dead mold is still allergenic, and some dead molds are potentially toxic. The use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation, although there may be instances where professional judgment may indicate its use (for example, when immune-compromised individuals are present). In most cases, it is not possible or desirable to sterilize an area; a background level of mold spores will remain in the air (roughly equivalent to or lower than the level in outside air). These spores will not grow if the moisture problem in the building has been resolved. SOURCE EPA

Shall we discuss this or do you just want to trade links;-)

MoldAcrossAmerica

Wow man talk about a head trip, my brother was a Roadie for that band back in the 60’s, groovy :smiley:

James -

The Great Lakes ASHI Chapter has had a Peer Review Program in place for at least 14 years. The top category in this is a “Master Inspector”. Dwight has held this designation for over 10 years that I am personally aware of.

As you know ASHI recently changed their nomenclature of their Members and Candidates. New terminology calls members a “Certified ASHI Inspector”.

Their PEER Review process is very STIFF. Most full ASHI Members could not begin to pass it the 1st go around.

Up until last year we had a similar program in place at SunCoast ASHI called CPI Certified Professional Inspector but it was voted out by the membership, the peer review process took two years to go through. Seems everyone wants to be a Master today. :smiley: