CMI publishes very good article on building science.

One smart guy. I once heard that if you cannot explain it to a normal person so they can understand it, then YOU don’t have a grasp of the material

I think this was well written, well explained and anyone can understand it. My hat’s off to Will.

Great article!

Any critique or comments are welcome. That is one of NACHI’s great strengths, the ability to mine the collective knowledge and experience of the members, especially over the entire country, with its different climate conditions, local building techniques and experiences.

Thanks;

Great article!
If I could clarify what Will is saying about mold causing wood rot, the mold is basically digesting or weakening the strong wood particles causing the damage as does a rot fungus. Cladosporium is not the only mold that does this. Cladosporium ranks about #4 on the consider toxic mold list, right below Aspergillus/Penicillium. Cladosporium is an allergenic mold similar to Aspergillus. Cladosporium is known to cause Sinusitis and Pulmonary disease in extreme cases.
http://www.mold-survivor.com/symptoms.html

Great article!
If I could clarify what Will is saying about mold causing wood rot, the mold is basically digesting or weaking the strong wood particles causing the damage as does a rot fungus. Cladosporium is not the only mold that does this. Cladosporium ranks about #4 on the consider toxic mold list, right below Aspergillus/Penicillium. Cladosporium is an allergenic mold similar to Aspergillus. Cladosporium is know to cause Sinusitis and Pulmonary disease in extreme cases.
James you may want to correct this.:smiley:

I am an inspector, not an english major.

Neither am I but I still like to make the corrections for those that view use as professionals.
I have been corrected many times and I welcome this as learning experiences.:smiley:

Hello William:

That is a very well written article.:smiley:

Here are the mistakes I found. This is not to take any credit from your hard work.

But, contrary to popular believe, brick stone and masonry buildings are not waterproof. All masonry is porous and will allow water to flow though it, and will even suck moisture into small cracks in mortar joints through capillary action

• Moisture moves from more moist to less moist. Better wording is needed

but not of water vapor or air.

Water cannot jump and air gap, but can (and does) wick through concrete block,

Poor repairs to moisture intrusion issues don’t help either. I did an inspection of a 3 story condo building today. This building is 5 years old and has had numerous contractors doing roof repairs, sealing split face block and sealing fenestrations. Most of the windows on the second floor leaked and were wet. All sill drains were caulked!!!

2210 W. Huron Moisture Intrusion Pics 057.JPG

2210 W. Huron Moisture Intrusion Pics 045.JPG

Very good Will

Very good article. Can anyone write an article for CMI? I’d love to write on several different topics to share. It’s always slow up here in the winter and I’d have time.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f55/45411d1307753460t-certified-master-inspector-publishes-very-good-article-building-science-2210-w.-huron-moisture-intrusion-pics-003.jpg

That’s a shame. The building looks nice, too bad they didn’t know how to build it.

Thanks for that referral from Westward, Linas. If I may do some minor critique?

Your report was a great inventory of the moisture intrusion issues, but there was no analysis of the causes, and needed repairs, to the building. They called me in (thanks, again, for the referral) and I gave them a fix list and some contractor referrals. You should come to the June 16th Chapter meeting where I will be covering this (and you get state CE credit as well! Such a deal!).

Water intrusion inspections are gonna be REAL big in Chicago for many years to come. And, you can charge more than you can for a pre-purchase.

I have written a few. They are also great for web site promotion.

See here for more:

http://deckerhomeservices.com/Construction_white_papers.htm

I try to do at least one a month. For high web site rankings, contecnt is king!

Hope this helps.

What was your analysis of the causes? They said they had contractors that did their masonry repairs, didn’t need references. I didn’t refer you either. Where do you come up with this???

The building on Pulaski, not the one you are referencing here. The management company (Westward) called me to do a water intrusion inspection. They gave me a copy of your report.

The causes were typical, but primarily lack of coping stone flashing. Also, it seems that they used “sears hardiboard” as opposed to real hardiboard for that siding at the rear. Has anyone ever seen Hardiboard delaminate before? And what was that MDF window framing. And don’t you just ole it when the install glass block windows with no lintels? What are they thinking? Also, the brick was just a joke. Most of the vertical joints were missing mortar. Looks like thet “washed” it too early.

I know the building you’re referencing. Sorry Will, but I never referred you to the property management company.:shock: I spoke with the contractor (who’s fiance is the president of the HOA):shock: who built that building and he mentioned your name, he probably referred you to Westward. I was contracted to do a thermal scan for moisture intrusion, not an inspection for the causes of their problems. That would have been another contract and another $900. So I think it was their intention for them to hire me for the thermal part and you for the consulting part, I don’t know.
How did you determine there is no coping flashing? The builder claimed it was installed. Most of the moisture intrusion was at the north wall, what was the distinguishing construction flaw there?

The President of the condo board was married to a contractor (some guy trying to get the city to adopt mandatory flat roof venting into the code, so he can seel his roof vents) who, apparently helped in building the place. He is pushing the association to have (his, go figure) roof vents installed.

I knew there was no coping flashing because I looked and felt. Coping flashing, best done, should extend out, on both sides, and the ends should be stainless steel drip edges which will not deteriorate.

It shows up on the north wall more because that wall is not exposed to the sun and is under positive pressure based upon the recent rainfall patterns.

Thanks Will love the information you give… … Roy

Do you have these problems in Ontario? How does the lake affect local conditions?