CMI's & Their Inspection Fee's

This could just be in middle America, but I’ve noticed almost all the inspectors that have obtained a CMI designation around me / that also offer the **Buy Back Program … **Charge almost **NOTHING **more than ANY other inspectors …

That’s embarrassing

What is even the sadder part is they do not charge enough for larger homers and auxiliaries. If you got somebody who is buying a larger home and want auxiliaries, they usually got the money to pay, so do not be afraid to charge it. How can you be a great inspector, if you do not charge like one?

James …

I got at least a dozen inspectors around me whose base rate is under $325 AND will go up to 4,000 - 4,500sf for that FEE and some will include a termite in that fee.

Disgusting

I thought you were the guy that didn’t want anyone talking negative.

He’s getting senile.

This may be because the general public does not know what sets a CMI apart from other inspectors. If so, this is because the CMI’s are not educating their potential clients as to what those differences are and why their inspections are worth more. It could be that even when the average consumer is made aware of these differences, they are not convinced that they should pay more for them.

By the time the average buyer gets to the inspection phase, they are feeling pretty tapped out financially, and although it may be a false economy, they are doing their best to stretch their dollar.

I am working toward getting my CMI and will be proud to add that designation to my marketing come that day. How it affects my bottom line remains to be seen.

When I was still a general contractor I had a half dozen certifications and was told I needed to make customers aware that I went above and beyond the training of the average contractor. I have no regrets about being above average but the clients really only cared if my price was the same or close to the competition.

Now days I am not the highest paid home inspector but I am priced in the top range for fees. You can get the money but you do need to sell yourself.

CMI may be different but if you don’t market your worth no one really cares.

Greg & Linus …

Pretty Sure we’re not on the same page.

I’ve always thought low ball, cheap inspections degrade our profession AND don’t think that’s senile AND its a very positive thought about low ballers and cheapos

AND when you combine that with someone telling the world they’re BIG BOY qualified as a CMI, then OFFERING the ultimate warranty OR guaranty with the

AND then charging fee’s that are LOWER / CHEAPER than even most newbies … That to me is ridiculous.

Can you articulate to us what sets a CMI apart from another inspector.
Aside from the CMI letters.

As a CMI am I really better than a seasoned inspector that has been in business just a long or longer than myself?

Absolutely, you have the logo to prove it.:wink:

From certifiedmasterinspector.org:

All CMIs have completed at least 1,000 fee-paid inspections and/or hours of training and education combined.

All CMIs have been in the inspection business for at least three years prior to becoming Board-Certified.

All CMIs have completed professional education prior to being approved.

That’s the real question, and goes to the heart of the issue. If we are being honest, the answer is “not necessarily”. All the CMI designation means is that the inspector has satisfied a narrow set of criteria, and is not a newcomer to the field.

Every inspector has to work to overcome the “newby” label. I tout my experience as a Realtor, Home Builder, and General Contractor, and offer value-added services that other inspectors do not. My training is up-to-date, and I like to think I more actively seek ways to better serve my customers than some veterans might be.

I believe the CMI adds to an inspector’s credibility and professional stature, but the majority of the general public may not, so I have to make sure that I am actually providing superior service and value and convincing my customers that those services are worth the extra money I am charging. Otherwise the CMI will do very little to help my business.

CMI does not make me a better inspector, it just certifies that this is not my first day on the job. Problem is nobody on the paying end of the transaction has ever heard of a CMI, so it doesn’t mean anything to them.

I think the same can be said for a CPI. No?

Well said. I have never had anyone ask me if I was a CMI or what the designation means. I have never even been asked if I was an InterNACHI member or NACHI Certified. Every now and then I get asked if I am licensed but that’s about it.

The term “Certified Master Inspector” does have a bit of panache to it though.

I lost a $600+ inspection to a competitor that was “more qualified”… CMI. Some years ago, that inspired me to obtain the designation.
BTW CMI means nothing to almost anyone, however Certified Master Inspector gets the attention of some prospects.

I think out of the last 100 inspections I have lost maybe half-a-dozen based on price (that I know of). Just today I lost a job to a low-baller who was charging $300 for a 2200 SF house with an irrigation system (my fee would have been $385).

Being able to say “I’m a Certified Master Inspector, are they?” might be enough to sway some clients, and I definitely think that the extra courses I am taking toward getting that designation make me a better inspector.

The trick, of course, is convincing the customer.

Everyone should raise their prices for the new year!

Hear hear! I raise a glass to that!

You guys are on track. and the point of my post is that just because I can tag CMI to my title does not make me any better than another inspector with the same qualifications that has not gained the CMI credential.

I do push that I am a Certified Master Inspector as an avenue to get a client to make the decision to hire me faster and easier.

If we look at the Realtors different designations:
I have little knowledge as to what each of them represent, I doubt that I would base my hiring criteria on what designation they advertise.
That being said if I hired a Realtor that specialized in new home sales and carried a specific designation for that and then failed to properly assist me in a new how experience I would be very vocal about how they are claiming to be the expert and failed in their job.

No mater what credentials you show and promote.
Do not allow the credential to carry you as reputable, prove that you deserve to own the title.

As with Realtors, I think it all comes down to who you trust.

I think its funny that people will put a lot more effort into choosing their Realtor than choosing their inspector. Not that the choice of a Realtor is not important, mind you, but some people think one inspector is about the same as another, which we all know is not the case.