Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Miscellaneous Inspection Topics > Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion

Notices

Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion This forum is for discussion of the Certified Master Inspector designation and the Master Inspector Certification Board.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5/25/16, 12:05 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: How to get rich in the inspection business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshriver View Post
At the risk of sounding ungrateful, which I assure you I'm not, we're six days in on this thread and i'm getting impatient. Can we put some meat on this bone?
Three little words, and/or letters. Stay tuned.
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/25/16, 12:06 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonas View Post
You don't know Nick very well, do you?
I'm just single minded, and laser focused. It's kind of like being slow-played at poker, or being on a 70mph highway behind a line of cars doing 45.

www.FingerLakesHomeInspector.com
Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
ShriverHomeServices@gmail.com
Old 5/25/16, 12:10 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Quote:
I'm just single minded, and laser focused. It's kind of like being slow-played at poker, or being on a 70mph highway behind a line of cars doing 45.
Let me offer this... Do you remember the thread involving "Grape Inspections"? Hasn't completed yet, has it?

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"

Old 5/25/16, 12:15 AM

I remember that thread, i stopped reading after the grape guy reported business really hadn't picked up any, or something to that effect, I'm paraphrasing.

Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
Old 5/25/16, 12:35 AM
Active Poster

Post #1 has a lot of meat. The rest is little details.
Old 5/25/16, 12:56 AM

Okay Nick we want you to finish helping Grape Guy become successful because instead of just talk like here you began to implement. Did Grape Guy end up a Millionaire following your advice yet ? If so we were hoping to tag along for the ride and admire your skill with Pygmalion.

Right now you are doing the exact same thread without a experimental Rabbit to prove your theories .

Did you give up on the "Purple One" ?

Turn this simple Farm Boy { "The guy with the Vine Fruit Logo" } into a Mogul and you will win every Inspectors admiration.
Please finish it as we were all watching and fascinated.

Can this thread and go stomp Grapes into Wine.
Old 5/25/16, 2:08 AM
Active Poster

I remember him. I don't know if he followed my advice or not. I developed his brand (he had none), which is the first step he needed to take to get on the right track.
Old 5/25/16, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
I remember him. I don't know if he followed my advice or not. I developed his brand (he had none), which is the first step he needed to take to get on the right track.
Yes you took him to the first step.Waiting for the second step.
Admit the thread dragged on but that was because everyone was salivating for step 2.
Old 5/25/16, 2:34 AM
Active Poster

The more I thought about it, the more similarities I found between sub-atomic particles and consumers about to hire a home inspector. I got so excited thinking about it one day... I ran all the way home, kind of like Woody Allen did in the movie "Hannah and Her Sisters" when he found out he didn't have a brain tumor. Here's the scene from that movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76-UbwX1i4A

But also like Woody Allen in that clip, it hit me while running down the street -- the fact that I could now predict consumer behavior regarding home inspector choice is meaningless. What good is being able to predict how often consumers will choose my competitor over me if I don't know why they are choosing my competitors over me?

The method I used to learn why was a simple one. And it didn't rely on the similarities between sub-atomic particles and consumers about to hire a home inspector. It relied on one tiny difference.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by gromicko; 5/25/16 at 11:43 AM..
Old 5/25/16, 2:37 AM

I've been working on branding, trying to get website, social media, print materials, and clothes to all to include the righteous logo the design team spun me up. And I've been taking around the "now that you've had a home inspection books" with "office copy do not throw out" in black sharpie. I stopped at a dozen more offices today. Branding is expensive but I'm chipping away at it.

Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
Old 5/25/16, 1:42 PM
Active Poster

The tiny difference between sub-atomic particles and consumers about to hire a home inspector is that consumers can talk. I couldn't ask a sub-atomic particle why it did what it did, but I could ask consumers. And so, that's exactly what I did. Every time I heard any consumer in our real estate office bring up the subject of home inspectors, every time my own real estate consumers hired a home inspector, and every time a consumer took a home inspector's brochure from our lobby, I engaged that consumer to find out what made them choose a particular inspector over others. Their answers were consistent. They may have expressed their answer in different ways: "I'm looking for an inspector who knows what he is doing," or "Why? Do you know of a really good inspector?" But in essence, all consumers wanted the same thing... the best home inspector.

Simple enough. No PhD in nuclear physics required. Right?

So, how does one become the best home inspector in their town? There are many paths to technical competency in our industry. No one way is the right way. I'm biased, of course, but I personally recommend that a home inspector complete every one of InterNACHI's many free, online inspection courses. They are packed full of images, graphics, and even online training videos. They are the most robust courses in the inspection industry and the most approved (1,400 governmental accreditations at the time of this writing).

For more information about InterNACHI's online inspection courses, visit: www.nachi.org/education

Show me the money!

Consumers all want the best home inspector and I'm the best home inspector in town. The cash in my bank account should be piling up, right? Well, it's not quite that simple. There was one little ingredient missing. And the ingredient could be found at a pizza shop in Boulder, Colorado.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by gromicko; 5/25/16 at 2:17 PM..
Old 5/25/16, 3:15 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
I've been working on branding, trying to get website, social media, print materials, and clothes to all to include the righteous logo the design team spun me up. And I've been taking around the "now that you've had a home inspection books" with "office copy do not throw out" in black sharpie. I stopped at a dozen more offices today. Branding is expensive but I'm chipping away at it.
Buy some mailing labels for your printer and print in big bold letters "OFFICE COPY DO NOT REMOVE" with your logo.

Dave Fetty Certified Master Inspector
Florida Home Inspection And Property Services LLC
www.FHIAPS.COM
www.NaplesBestInspector.com
www.FortMyersInspector.com
Naples, Marco Island, Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Estero, Cape Coral
Dfetty@FHIAPS.COM
http://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flori...2450912?ref=hl
Florida Radon Measurement Technician R2547
(239)339-7380
Old 5/25/16, 3:16 PM

I have a friend that did a market survey of local REALTORS for a separate venture. He asked, among many questions, what's your largest concern when it comes to a customer using a vendor you don't know. Top answer? It wasn't that a vender could kill a deal, upset a client or take too long

78 percent of REALTORS in central Ohio said their biggest concern with a client using a vendor that they did not know was that the vendor might do a bad job.

Honestly, that's not the answer I expected.

Cap City Property Inspections

Hyde Anderson
(614)654-6632
Office@capcityinspect.com
www.capcityinspect.com
Serving: Columbus and Central Ohio
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/25/16, 4:01 PM
Active Poster

In 2016, InterNACHI launched a new project -- The House of Horrors. It's an entire house with thousands of defects built inside InterNACHI's training complex and used for training home inspectors. Here is a short time-lapse video of it being constructed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AlQS36Bp-g

We had barely started construction, but upon seeing the time-lapse video, a long-time InterNACHI member and one of the most competent inspectors in our industry couldn't wait. He jumped in his truck and started driving out to see it. It was a good 12-hour drive for him and he'd periodically call me to give me his ETA and make sure I'd be there waiting for him when he arrived. As he got closer, I told him I was going to get some take-out for dinner, for him to get something to eat somewhere as well, and to meet up with me at The House of Horrors so that we could eat dinner together and talk shop.

Now, this particular inspector is one of those who loves to take technical courses. He's not big on marketing. He says things like, "Marketing doesn't make me a better inspector," and "I don't need any marketing gimmicks." His calendar is booked solid more than half the time. But he isn't so swamped with inspection jobs that he feels comfortable raising his prices. He does fine financially, but he doesn't make silly money.

In the past, I've tried to explain to him that the purpose of marketing isn't to get more inspection work so that your calendar is full. The purpose of marketing is to reach a point where there are so many customers trying to book their inspections with you that it is utterly impossible to do them all. And that once you start turning down job after job after job, you'll have the courage to raise prices. The point of being in business isn't to do more work, it's to make more money. But my words always fell on deaf ears--he tunes me out when I talk about marketing.

Later that evening, we met up at The House of Horrors. Upon seeing it, his jaw dropped. You'd think by his facial expression that he was looking at the Statue of Liberty for the first time. The guy just loves the technical side of the inspection business. We enjoyed a great evening, with me eating Chinese and him eating pizza. I asked him if he wanted to return in the morning to meet InterNACHI's Member Marketing Department. By the way, for more information about the Marketing Department, visit: http://marketing.nachi.org/ As I expected, he declined my offer, explaining again that he isn't into marketing. He'd heard it all before from me and so he quickly changed the topic of our conversation to the food we were eating. He said that he believed he had found the best pizza he'd ever tasted. He must have seen my smile appear instantly because he asked me: "What? What's so funny?" I replied "So you found the pizza shop." He again answered, "Yes, I found them on my way here." I asked him if he remembered the name of the pizza shop. He couldn't, but then a few seconds later, he flipped the lid of the pizza box closed and there it was. He said he highly recommends them and offered me a slice. I explained that I was familiar with the pizza shop, the owner is a friend of mine, and that I agree, it is the best pizza I've ever tasted and also the most expensive pizza in town. I then wrote down six statements on the lid of the pizza box and asked him if he agreed with all six.

Here they are:

1. You being far from home, looking for something to eat in Boulder, Colorado, is a very rare event. True?
2. This is one of the best pizzas you've ever tasted. True?
3. The pizza wasn't cheap. True?
4. You think you "found" the pizza shop. True?
5. You did not choose that pizza shop because you recognized the company name. True?
6. You'd eat their pizza again and recommend them. True?

He replied "true" to all six statements.

I then asked him what magical powers he possessed to be able to know that inside a particular commercial building alongside the road he was traveling on contained a woman making really good pizza for sale. He said, "It had a sign silly!" "A sign?" I asked. So it wasn't quite enough that you were in the market for good pizza and that she sold good pizza. Something was needed to bring you two together, right? He agreed. A consumer wanting good pizza and a building with someone inside making really good pizza for sale is useless without a sign bringing them together. He smiled and said that he knew where I was going with this conversation and predicted that I was about to explain that without the sign (a marketing tool), he wouldn't have found that pizza shop. I was starting to reach him, but I wasn't there yet.

We continued eating and I asked him what he wanted in a pizza and a pizza shop. I told him to take his time thinking about it and to distill it into just a few words. After some time and another slice, he presented his answer: "Fresh, hot, and fast." So I asked him what was it about the company's sign made him believe the pizza would be fresh, hot and fast? He'd already admitted that he'd never heard of the company. He said he couldn't remember what the sign said exactly but whatever it said made him feel (note his use of the word "feel") that the pizza would be great. As you can imagine, we jumped in the truck to go back to the the pizza shop and check out their magical marketing tool, their sign. That pizza shop sign would change his inspection business into a huge success.

Stay tuned.

Last edited by gromicko; 5/25/16 at 9:34 PM..
Old 5/25/16, 4:33 PM

He couldn't remember what it was about the sign that made him think it would be good pizza
Attached Thumbnails
get-rich-inspection-business-stoned-oven.jpg  

Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671