Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Miscellaneous Inspection Topics > Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion

Notices

Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion This forum is for discussion of the Certified Master Inspector designation and the Master Inspector Certification Board.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5/25/16, 5:08 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Default Re: How to get rich in the inspection business.

Correct. Most good advertising uses implication, usually unmemorable implication. You can't just tell the target you have good pizza, you have to say something that causes their brain to CONCLUDE it on its own. That is what makes it stick and prompts an action. Can you come up with the text of a sign for a pizza shop that implies the pizza will be fresh, hot and fast? It's not an easy task.
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/25/16, 7:34 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Did the pizza come with a 200% guarantee and sewer guard?

https://www.nachi.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=42662&dateline=143790  3764
Wayne Thurber
(902) 848-1033
kresgroup@eastlink.ca
www.kirwynd.com www.facebook.com/kresgroup
Serving Greenwood NS and the Annapolis Valley area
Old 5/25/16, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
Correct. Most good advertising uses implication, usually unmemorable implication. You can't just tell the target you have good pizza, you have to say something that causes their brain to CONCLUDE it on its own. That is what makes it stick and prompts an action. Can you come up with the text of a sign for a pizza shop that implies the pizza will be fresh, hot and fast? It's not an easy task.
I'll give it a shot...how about something like "Supreme Pizza Express"

www.FingerLakesHomeInspector.com
Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
ShriverHomeServices@gmail.com
Old 5/25/16, 9:35 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Can you come up with the text of a sign for a pizza shop that implies the pizza will be fresh, hot and fast? It's not an easy task.
No, but that's the way I advertised my first wife

Michael A Clark, Certified Master Inspector®
Inspection Connection
St Albans, West Virginia

"Always tell the truth,
do what you say you will,
and do it Righter than Right...Always"

Facebook

Google Plus

www.charleston-home-inspector.com
www.icwvhomes.com

mclark@icwvhomes.com
Old 5/25/16, 9:49 PM

Not to hijack the thread here, since I was mentioned, Ill give you a quick update....In the last few months since Nick so kindly provided me some branding and materials to use for advertising, business has picked up. Is it the branding? Is it my heavy online marketing? Is it because it is spring time and everybody and their brother is buying houses? I don't know. I went from getting 2-3 inspections per month to 2-3 per week. Not gonna hit the $100,000 mark this year, but I promise I wont "slit my throat and jump off a building" LOL. I am still a part-timer. I work a full time job in the evening. My plan has always been: see how it goes and get established for a few years before taking the leap to full time. There is no doubt, the professionally designed brochures and marketing material help. Branding is important. I'll admit I was very hesitant to go with "GRAPE", to me it sounded childish, and down right silly for a professional company. However it is growing on me. Ive only been asked about it once. I couldn't tell my client the real story, That Nick gave me a hell of a deal to change it. I told them that my 5 year old daughter made it up and I couldn't tell her no. They thought it was so cute that I got a referral out of it. LOL. (sorry nick!) Anyway, just a few months in business with my new company, I went from 2-3 per month to 2-3 per week. I am starting to track my leads better, so soon I hope I will get a better idea how people are finding me. Word of mouth is huge. Ive had a few agents refer and gotten on some real estate company lists of home inspectors. I have brochures in tons of Offices. I redesigned my website and worked a TON on SEO for months. I think its a combination of all those things that kick started the business. I can only hope it grows enough to hit that $100,000 one day! Thanks to everyone that contributed to the conversation and INTERNACHI for providing the needed support. Im still very open to advice, you guys rock....even the mean ones who gave me crap, lots and lots of crap.....HA
Old 5/25/16, 10:12 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Nice Joseph. Sounds like you are on the right track. Your brand is so strong and every day.... you're building it.
Old 5/25/16, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Mario's Pizza
Best Pizza in Town!
Old 5/25/16, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfigliolo View Post
Mario's Pizza
Best Pizza in Town!
Luigi's Pizza,
Fresh From our Brick Oven

Michael Gleeson, CPI
inFocus Inspection
716-548-0610
Serving Western NY including Erie, Niagara, Wyoming and Genesee Counties
http://www.infocusinspection.com
http://www.inspectwny.com
Old 5/26/16, 1:42 AM
InterNACHI Staff

We made our way back to the pizza shop to see this sign that worked so well to cause someone from out of town to stop and try their pizza. It was an interesting sign, to say the least. It didn't even include the word "pizza." The sign simply said, "Oven Is Hot!" (see photo below). My inspector friend noted that one of the clever aspects of the sign was that it was only three words long making it readable in the few seconds he had as he drove by.

So, why does this sign work so well? And why wouldn't "Pizza Is Hot!" work? The answer is subtle. The phrase, "Pizza Is Hot!" implies that your pizza has already been made and it might not be what you want. The phrase "Oven Is Hot!" implies that your pizza hasn't been made yet, it's going to be made fresh, it isn't sitting around getting cold, and that the shop's oven is pre-heated and ready to make you a fresh, hot pizza the way you want it, right now.

On the surface, the text of the sign doesn't sound like anything that needs to be followed by an exclamation point. Of course ovens are hot. But the message those three little words conveys is powerful-- so powerful that it caused another new consumer to come in and try their pizza.

On the way home, I asked the inspector if he agreed that the pizza shop's sign was a very important factor in attracting new customers. He agreed and said it was especially instrumental in getting him to try their pizza for the first time because he rarely comes to Colorado. I then asked him if buying a home was also a rare event for most people. He explained that it was a very rare event for most people. He then went on to state that his home inspection business needed the equivalent of the pizza shop's sign-- three little words that say it all. I didn't respond. I stayed completely quiet and kept driving. A few minutes passed in silence and then all of a sudden he began to laugh out loud and slapped me on the shoulder. Then with a huge smile on his face, he said, "OK, how do I apply to be a Certified Master Inspector?"
Attached Thumbnails
get-rich-inspection-business-oven-hot.jpg  

Last edited by gromicko; 5/26/16 at 3:36 AM..
Old 5/26/16, 3:01 AM
InterNACHI Staff

Now, before any reader thinks that being a Certified Master Inspector (CMI) will make them rich, let me assure everyone that, by itself, it won't. It merely improves a few of the steps I discussed in my post #1.

Here is what being a Certified Master Inspector will NOT do for you:
  • If you are a Certified Master Inspector and no one knows it, it is useless. It doesn't market your inspection business.
  • If you don't have a website, it won't cause a single visitor to call you.
  • If you don't answer your phone, it won't cause a single caller to schedule an inspection with you.
  • If you don't raise your prices, it doesn't much matter that it helps you command higher fees.
  • If you do a poor inspection and offer lousy service, it won't cause a single past client to refer you to others.
So, what good is being a Certified Master Inspector? Provided a consumer finds you at all, it improves the odds that they'll contact you. It improves the odds that they'll ultimately hire you. And it improves your ability to charge a little more. I know, that doesn't seem like much of an effect. Certainly not enough to make a home inspector rich.

But let's do a little math. I'll intentionally use round numbers to allow you, the reader, to change them as you like. Let's say your gross revenue is $100K/year. And let's say that touting your Certified Master Inspector professional designation causes the number of consumers who contact you to increase by 5%. And let's say that it causes the number of those consumers who ultimately hire you to increase by 15%. And let's say that it allows you to command higher fees by 10%. I'm using very conservative increases. So, what effect do these modest increases have on your total gross revenue? Let's find out: $100,000 x 1.05 x 1.15 x 1.1 = $132,825. That's an increase of $32,825 in just the first year. Over a 15-year inspection career, even without any other growth, the increased revenue would add up to $492,375 or nearly half a million dollars above and beyond what you'd bring in otherwise.

I used very modest increases in those percentages. In reality, it's likely that the increases would be more than 20%, 25%, and 15% respectively. So, now how much extra money would you earn over my hypothetical 15-year inspection career now? Let's do a little math and find out. $100,000 x 1.2 x 1.25 x 1.15 = $172,500. That's an increase of $72,500 in just the first year. Over a 15-year inspection career, even without any other growth, the increased revenue of being a Certified Master Inspector would add up to $1,087,500. Subtract from that the $1,000 one-time, lifetime CMI fee and you net an additional $1,086,500.00. That's more than a million extra dollars!

Coming up soon (but maybe not next): how to convert more calls into scheduled inspections while at the same time charging more. Stay tuned.

Last edited by gromicko; 5/26/16 at 1:12 PM..
Old 5/26/16, 12:48 PM

So as someone who is not yet eligible for CMI status how will I best express my qualification. What is my "oven is hot"... Something to ponder.

Cap City Property Inspections

Hyde Anderson
(614)654-6632
Office@capcityinspect.com
www.capcityinspect.com
Serving: Columbus and Central Ohio
Old 5/26/16, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handerson2 View Post
So as someone who is not yet eligible for CMI status how will I best express my qualification. What is my "oven is hot"... Something to ponder.
"Oven is warming up"

Michael Gleeson, CPI
inFocus Inspection
716-548-0610
Serving Western NY including Erie, Niagara, Wyoming and Genesee Counties
http://www.infocusinspection.com
http://www.inspectwny.com
Old 5/26/16, 1:06 PM
InterNACHI Staff

Quote:
So as someone who is not yet eligible for CMI status how will I best express my qualification.
Well, for your website, use your online transcript. Link to it from text titled "My Qualifications" or something. This advice assumes you have completed many of our courses so that your transcript looks robust like this one: https://www.nachi.org/about-transcripts.htm

It doesn't have quite the same effect. It's sort of like that pizza shop having a sign that says their oven is currently running at 550 degrees. And it requires the visitor to click on a link first. And of course it isn't instantly self evident like the words "Certified Master Inspector" are, which requires no explanation and conveys the message in a couple seconds. But it is a good plan B.

Last edited by gromicko; 5/26/16 at 1:11 PM..
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/26/16, 1:42 PM

I do plan on becoming a CMI ASAP. I also plan on hiring inspectors someday. They won't all be CMI's. Now people want a great inspection, just like people want a great pizza, so what's the three word sell... Educational transcript is good but that's an entire web page, 100 words, many logos. How do I boil that down to three words. (Rhetorical question, loving the thread).

Cap City Property Inspections

Hyde Anderson
(614)654-6632
Office@capcityinspect.com
www.capcityinspect.com
Serving: Columbus and Central Ohio
Old 5/26/16, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handerson2 View Post
I do plan on becoming a CMI ASAP. I also plan on hiring inspectors someday. They won't all be CMI's. Now people want a great inspection, just like people want a great pizza, so what's the three word sell... Educational transcript is good but that's an entire web page, 100 words, many logos. How do I boil that down to three words. (Rhetorical question, loving the thread).
I'm just sayin'
Attached Thumbnails
get-rich-inspection-business-cpi-certified-professional-inspector-internachi-logo.png  

www.FingerLakesHomeInspector.com
Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
ShriverHomeServices@gmail.com