Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > Miscellaneous Inspection Topics > Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion

Notices

Certified Master Inspector (CMI) Discussion This forum is for discussion of the Certified Master Inspector designation and the Master Inspector Certification Board.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 5/27/16, 1:19 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Re: How to get rich in the inspection business.

I must be the only one that isn't taking the weekend off.

www.FingerLakesHomeInspector.com
Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
ShriverHomeServices@gmail.com
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/27/16, 7:17 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshriver View Post
Inspection today at 4, and Sunday at 11:00.

Sometimes, my "weekend" is Wednesday and Thursday, sometimes it's a one day weekend, usually a Monday.

I haven't had a "weekend" in since May1...

"Bale hay while the sun is shining"

Michael A Clark, Certified Master Inspector®
Inspection Connection
St Albans, West Virginia

"Always tell the truth,
do what you say you will,
and do it Righter than Right...Always"

Facebook

Google Plus

www.charleston-home-inspector.com
www.icwvhomes.com

mclark@icwvhomes.com
Old 5/27/16, 9:49 AM

Inspection today at 11. Had Graduation events for my oldest on Tuesday and Wednesday, 8th grade graduation for my youngest yesterday, HS graduation is Saturday for the oldest....been a bit busy NOT inspecting, but I did do one on Monday, and today...

Serving all of SE Colorado and the SLV
www.jandmsolutions.com
homes@jandmsolutions.com
719-252-5167
Old 5/27/16, 3:23 PM
Active Poster

Quote:

I do plan on becoming a CMI ASAP.
You can bid on this Certified Master Inspector package. Auction ends Tuesday night: https://www.nachi.org/forum/f32/week...pector-111835/
Old 5/27/16, 5:27 PM
Active Poster

The Aunt Penny Experiment:

In the many years I've worked in this industry, I've come up with a lot of marketing and business success programs for inspectors. Most of them didn't work, which is why you'll never know about them. The vast majority of the stuff I'm come up with to help home inspectors has been dumb ideas and utter failures. What's left are the ideas that are really powerful in helping inspectors succeed. And of those, nothing tops the Certified Master Inspector professional designation. Those three little words have made more money for more inspectors than anything else in the industry.

I've studied consumers who are about to hire a home inspector. I've watched them as they viewed inspector marketing pieces, brochures and websites, and I've concluded that a home inspector has only five seconds to make his/her pitch to these consumers. That's how long a consumer spends looking at a brochure or visiting a website before deciding whether or not he/she is going to hire that inspector -- five seconds. Five, four, three, two, one.... and you're either in or out. That' not much time to make your case that the consumer should hire you.

Imagine if you were a boxer. But instead of a normal boxing match, your match was only going to be one round long. Furthermore, the round was only going to be five seconds long. What would you do? You'd throw your best punches because the fight is going to be a very short one. Well, the same is true for marketing to consumers about to hire a home inspector. You don't have much time to win them over, so you'd better knock them out quickly with your best punch. For home inspectors, that knockout punch is Certified Master Inspector.

Earlier in this thread (post #41), I explained how my experiment showed that consumers wanted the very best inspector. Nothing sounds better than Certified Master Inspector to a consumer's ear. To consumers, it is instantly evident (without any need for further explanation or support) that a Certified Master Inspector is the best. And when consumers come to a point where they think they have found the best, they stop looking.

Now, the Certified Master Inspector professional designation has been used in our profession for more than a decade, and Certified Master Inspectors have testified over and over on industry forums and message boards that the professional designation works wonders to land more consumers, convert those consumers into clients, and command higher fees. I couldn't be happier. But don't take my word for it. Conduct the "Aunt Penny Experiment."

As I explained, most of the marketing and home inspection business success programs I've developed over the years have been utter failures -- Certified Master Inspector being the rare exception that we all now know works great. But back when we first filed for a federal trademark (Certified Master Inspector is a Registered Trademark in the U.S., Canada, and other countries), I was trying to confirm my belief that consumers who knew almost nothing about the inspection industry would view Certified Master Inspectors as the best and choose Certified Master Inspectors over regular home inspectors. My elderly Aunt Penny, who knew nothing of the inspection industry, volunteered to be my experiment's guinea pig.

Here's the experiment we ran:

I had a huge dining room table at the time. (I later donated it to InterNACHI and they use it as their meeting room table.) Anyway, I covered the table with everything I could find related to the inspection industry that might possibly cause a consumer to choose a home inspector. Among the clutter on my dining room table was an InterNACHI logo, an ASHI logo, an IAC2 logo, inspector resumes, home inspection business licenses, numerous custom home inspection business logos, certificates of course completions, E&O insurance certificates, inspector qualification briefs, inspection industry taglines, education transcripts, home inspection flyers, inspection advertisements, screenshots of home inspection websites, Continuing Education logs, a professional engineer's diploma, ads I custom-created, which touted years in business and number of inspections performed, and even sample inspection reports. Buried in that huge mess on my dining room table, I stuck a modest Certified Master Inspector logo. Then I asked my Aunt Penny to look through all of it and pull out the one thing that would cause her to hire that inspector over all others. You can imagine what she chose. I repeated this experiment with one person after another, and each time, the experiment concluded with the consumer choosing the Certified Master Inspector.

Since then, several inspectors have conducted their own "Aunt Penny Experiment" and all have reported the same result. I urge you to conduct your own "Aunt Penny Experiment." I happen to already know what your result will be.

In the real world -- a world where consumers who are about to hire a home inspector are looking for the best home inspector, but making their decision to hire or not hire each inspector within five seconds -- Certified Master Inspector works. Those three little words work... with two seconds to spare.

Coming up next: how to convert more calls into scheduled inspections while at the same time charging more. Stay tuned.
Old 5/27/16, 5:35 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccurrins View Post
Three little words, and/or letters. Stay tuned.
Bump.
Old 5/27/16, 6:14 PM
Active Poster

Coming soon:

Ring, ring, ring.
Hello, ABC Home Inspection.
Yes, how much do you charge for a home inspection?
Old 5/27/16, 6:20 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Ring, ring, ring.
Hello, 1st Pro Inspection.

As much as I can soak you for..

InterNACHI Lifetime Member.
www.1stproinspection.com
roy@1stproinspection.com
Serving Gainesville Florida and surrounding areas.
Florida Certified Contractor #CRC1328001
Florida Certified Home Inspector #HI7019
Deus solus me iudicare potest
#1st Pro Inspection
Old 5/27/16, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
Coming soon:

Ring, ring, ring.
Hello, ABC Home Inspection.
Eleventy billion dollars...mmmmhawhawhaw (sets phone in the crook of neck while rubbing hands together)

Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671
Old 5/28/16, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshriver View Post
Had (2) today, have (2) tomorrow & have (2) on Monday...

Randy L. Dimit
Email

Desert Property Inspection Services LLC
2188 East Quail Run Road
Kingman, Arizona 86409
928-377-0557 | Office/Scheduling

Website | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Zillow | Yelp

Proudly Serving Mohave County
"Be So Good, They Can't Ignore You"
Old 5/30/16, 5:32 PM
Richard W. Washington, TREC#7238's Avatar
Richard W. Washington, TREC#7238 Richard W. Washington, TREC#7238 is offline

Good thread. Following.

Richard W. Washington, owner
RW Home Inspections, Inc.
www.RWHOMEINSPECTIONS.com
Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC)
Professional Inspector License #7238
Texas Professional Real Estate Inspectors Member (TPREIA)-Greater Houston Chapter
InterNACHI member since 2004
Based in Katy, serving Houston and all surrounding communities
Old 5/30/16, 6:01 PM

I went from doing one or two home Inspections a week to now doing 5-6 home Inspections a week for the past 4 weeks. I have been doing 8-12 insurance Inspections in a week for the past four week. I branded my company with doing my reports out on the field on the companion app with HG, booking HI at 6pm at night for clients that work late. I have had realtors tell me that shows something. I try not to make big deals out of things that aren't a big deal. I just invested in a new logo, new business cards, new rack cards, sticky notes for realtors, new shirts with my logo and new pens. I have been scoping out REA offices that lay out their brochures in the front not just placing them in the back for the agents. I am now focusing on my website. I am trying to get it up to the front of Google which seems to be a chore. I haven't had any hits from my website at this time. Moral of my story is agents and customers will take notice of good customer service and a good inspection. I have picked up sellers agents by providing a great inspection. I am no near a $100,000 business but Rome was not built in a day.

Shawn D. Staggs, CPI
Anchor Bay Inspections
Florida Licensed Home Inspector HI8446
941-676-2375
Serving Sarasota, Bradenton, Longboat Key, Anna Marie Island
Holmes Beach, Palmetto, Venice, Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda
Home Inspection - Wind Mitigation - Four Point Inspections
Old 5/30/16, 7:52 PM
Active Poster

Capture and work every lead.

Back in my post #1 of this thread, I explained that one of the steps is to get your website to cause the consumer to call you.

Often, a visitor to your inspection business website does something horrible -- he or she leaves. Worse yet, you don't know why the visitor left your website. Maybe they left to get on their phone and call you. Maybe they left to search for other inspectors. You just don't know. Those visitors are hot leads. You likely spent good money on marketing to get them to visit your website, so don't take any chances. Try to capture and work each of those leads.

Is your home inspection business's website capturing inspection leads for you? Do consumers visit your website but find no compelling reason to contact you? Give them something irresistible and free.

You can now offer a copy of “The Safe Home Book” to potential homebuyers who visit your inspection website. Whether you’re a first-time homeowner or a veteran of residential real estate transactions, this free e-book is filled with essential tips and facts that every family needs to live safely and comfortably in their home. Brought to you by the Master Inspector Certification Board, the certifying body for the inspection industry’s highest professional designation of Certified Master Inspector®, it’s filled with informative articles about everything your website visitor needs to know about, from child safety and home maintenance advice indoors, to landscaping recommendations and risk-free entertaining outdoors. This free 225-page book will become their go-to guide to help them protect both their investment and their family.

The following are instructions to use “The Safe Home Book” e-book to generate more inspection jobs:

STEP 1: You first have to decide which e-book to use and download it.

This useful e-book is available to Certified Master Inspectors® for free at Inspector Outlet: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/safe-home-book.aspx
Certified Master Inspectors® who are also members of InterNACHI have access to custom books for free. Each book is unique in that it has the particular Certified Master Inspector's® name and contact information embedded within it. This additionally improves your search engine optimization. To download it, visit the Certified Master Inspector website at http://certifiedmasterinspector.org/find Click on the “Download Safe Home Book” link (it takes a moment to download, as it is a large book). Note the first page. Under the title of the book it says: “Brought to you by...” and lists your name, city/state province, website, email address and phone number. Every other page of the book has your name and inspection business website address at the bottom, as well.

Once you have chosen the e-book that is appropriate for you (generic or custom), move on to the next step.

STEP 2: The next step is to add the image of the appropriate e-book cover to your inspection business website. Most visitors never get past the homepage of your website, so you should add your e-book image to your homepage, rather than at a deeper page or link. You can just right-click the cover of the e-book and capture it as a jpg (one is attached to this message board post below), or you can get fancier and create your own book cover for “The Safe Home Book” with your name as the author, and maybe even listing your city and state/province on the cover for an extra SEO bump and to attract the attention of homebuyers in your local market. If you add your name to the cover as the author, add the words "Certified Master Inspector®" after your name as your suffix.

Once you have captured or created the image of your e-book (existing or custom), move on to the next step.

STEP 3: The next step is to create a line of text to place under the image. For search engine-optimization purposes, the line of text should include your city and state/province. But search-engine optimization aside, you already know a bit about your inspection business website's visitors. You know that they are likely homebuyers, and you also know that they are likely in your local market area. Therefore, you want to craft the text with that information in mind. You want to include the word "homebuyer" in the text, as well as your town or city. Customizing the text in this way speaks specifically to the very visitors who are most likely in need of your inspection services and thus increase your click rate. For example, if you are inspecting in Toledo, Ohio, the line of text should read as follows:

Email me and I'll send you my free e-book, “The Safe Home Book:
What Every Homebuyer in Toledo, Ohio, Must Know”

Place this line of text under the image of your e-book cover.

Tip: The text should be very prominent in comparison to the image of the e-booklet cover, as the text should be customized (including your town/city) to particularly attract the attention of your site's visitors.

Once you have your e-book cover image on your site, move on to the next step.

STEP 4: The next step is to hyperlink the image of your e-book cover and the line of text to your email address. For example, if your email address is Bob@ToledosBestHomeInspections.com, you would hyperlink the image and the text to:

mailto:bob@toledosbesthomeinspections.com

Don't forget to hyperlink both the image of your e-book cover and the line of text under the e-book cover image to your email address.

In HTML, the code would look like this:

<a href="mailto:bob@toledosbesthomeinspections.com"> What Every Homebuyer in Toledo, Ohio, Must Know</a>
You might also want to pre-insert the subject line of your email to your site's visitor to read "The Safe Home Book request" so that it's easy for you to recognize what their incoming response email is about.

STEP 5: When you receive an email requesting your free e-book, email the consumer back with a link to the appropriate e-booklet. The link will open as a PDF.

STEP 6: This is the important step!
• Email your incoming leads some information about you and your inspection company.
• Email them information about the various inspection services you offer.
• Email them inspection-related articles. You can find InterNACHI's original articles, free for member use, at https://www.nachi.org/articles.
• Email them a copy of your custom inspection business brochure (get your own custom-designed brochure at http://www.marketing.nachi.org).
• Email them a link to your custom inspection video ad (you can order one at http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/custo...-video-ad.aspx).
• You can ask them for their mailing address and send them a copy of the "Now That You've Had a Home Inspection" book with your business card stapled to it (you can purchase them for $2.70 each at https://www.nachi.org/now.htm).
• You can ask them for their mailing address and send them a copy of your own customized version of "Now That You've Had a Home Inspection," with your logo and images on the front and back covers (see ordering details at http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/custom-now-books.aspx).
• You can send them a "We'll Buy Your Home Back" Guarantee rack card, available here: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/buy-y...rack-card.aspx
• You can send them a Home Energy Inspection brochure: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/home-...e-im-here.aspx
• You can send them a Home Maintenance Inspection rack card: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/home-...rack-card.aspx
• You can send them a Mold Testing rack card: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/iac2-...ack-cards.aspx
• You can send them a Radon Testing rack card: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/iac2-...ack-cards.aspx
• You can send them a “Buying or Selling?” brochure: http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/inter...-brochure.aspx
• You can sign them up for a free monthly Homeowner eNewsletter: https://www.nachi.org/home-maintenance-newsletter.htm

You may want to systemize your drip-marketing campaign and keep track of the leads you’re working so that you don't accidentally send a prospective client the same thing twice.

Remember

The secondary purpose of these “The Safe Home Book” e-books is to provide information to the visitors of your website. The main purpose is to capture your visitor's email address to give you an opportunity to engage that consumer, over time, until they are finally ready to hire a home inspector.

Now that you have a constant stream of homebuyer leads coming in... work them! Email them every week, even if it is only a brief personal message. It is not unusual to work a lead for many months until the consumer is ready to hire a home inspector. Work every lead forever, or until it converts into a client who is ready to hire a home inspector... you!
Attached Thumbnails
get-rich-inspection-business-thesafehomecover.jpg  

Last edited by gromicko; 6/7/16 at 12:38 AM..
Need a home inspection in Massachusetts? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Massachusetts certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 5/30/16, 8:08 PM
Active Poster

Remember the math back in my post #1. If we improve this step, we make more money. If we can double the number of visitors who we make contact with, even with leaving every other factor the same including total number of visitors and conversion rate... we've doubled the gross revenue of our home inspection business!
Old 5/31/16, 11:49 PM

After much trial and error i got The Safe Home Book set on my website to capture emails. I can hardly wait to send my first e-book.

Shriver Home Services
4014 Italy Hill Rd.
Branchport, NY 14418
(315)521-5541
NYS License #16000059671