Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

California Home Inspectors This is a place for California InterNACHI inspectors to discuss California home inspection topics. Become a home inspector in California

Old 1/30/10, 11:51 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Default For California Inspectors

I had a person who ask me this question. Any feedback would be helpful.

Quote:
Two years ago I bought a home in California. Before buying the home we noticed some pretty large excavating had been done in the back yard. We asked about it and the previous owner and the neighbors of the property said that it had looked that way for years. The previous owner had admitted to doing the work. A large, local business had a hand in removing large amounts of dirt and the neighbor called the county out to my house 4 times (after I purchased the home.However this last time the County man came out he said it would be between $30,000 and $50,000 maybe up to $80,000 to fix the problem, pay for permits and violation fees. The previous owner never got an excavation permit and the matter was never disclosed. Also I should tell you that the home was inspected by two different inspectors hired by two different banks and neither report stated these damages. I don't understand why the other inspectors from the county hadn't said it was a problem either. What do I do? Who is responsible for paying the fees and fixing the problem? Isn't the title company somewhat at fault or my real estate agent? Can I go after the previous owners???? HELP!!!

Thermal Imaging Video For Inspectors

John McKenna, CMI,
Building Science & Certified Level II Thermographer
InterNACHI's Thermal Imaging Instructor
Master Inspector Certification Board

Infrared Class - For Home Inspector

Need a home inspection in Oregon? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Oregon certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/31/10, 1:25 AM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Send a message via ICQ to dmaricic Send a message via AIM to dmaricic Send a message via MSN to dmaricic Send a message via Yahoo to dmaricic
Default Re: For California Inspectors

What were they digging for? A pool or a hole to China?

2008 InterNACHI Member and Innovator of the Year
HOME INSPECTOR PRO HOME INSPECTION SOFTWARE

InterNACHI Members SAVE $150

Easy to use, customizable Home Inspector Software that runs on Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone & iPad!

You can now import HomeGauge, 3D, PalmTech & InspectVue Narratives.

InterNACHI members receive 3 months of FREE home inspector website hosting

Insert Video, Interactive Glossary and Sketches Into your Report!!

Old 1/31/10, 2:46 AM
InterNACHI Member

I am a little confused on the County Inspector vs Home Inspector in your quote. Was there a big hole there when inspected prior to purchase? And was it noted in the HI report or is this someone who bought the home without a HI and is now trying to find fault with someone?

Premier Property Inspections
916-361-1021
Old 1/31/10, 2:56 AM
Active Poster

Please Note: rbibler is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

They need some legal advise... I don't think this board is the place to get the information they need.

I would need all the information they have on the case and then what could i do for them..( not much ) get a lawyer...

Best

Ron
Old 2/3/10, 9:42 AM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbibler View Post
They need some legal advise... I don't think this board is the place to get the information they need.

I would need all the information they have on the case and then what could i do for them..( not much ) get a lawyer...

Best

Ron
Ditto.

Thermal Imaging Video For Inspectors

John McKenna, CMI,
Building Science & Certified Level II Thermographer
InterNACHI's Thermal Imaging Instructor
Master Inspector Certification Board

Infrared Class - For Home Inspector