Dead Start

I have been grinding since I moved to California and opened my inspection business. I have tried to cast a large net in the Orange,Tustin,Irvine areas. So far I have had absolutely no luck in booking my first client. Would someone please take the time and give me some helpful advice? I feel like I’m going out of my head with emails reaching out to agents.

Hi Sky,

A little confusion on your website: "Warden Home Inspections must perform all inspections in compliance with the Standards of Practice set forth by the state of Colorado and InterNACHI."

I"m not a marketing guru by any means, but emailing agents doesn’t work. As with 95% of the emails I get from companies, they go right into TRASH.

Try hitting the open houses. You’ll meet newer agents that may not have developed relationships with other inspectors.

A little work on your website:

I had to scroll down to the bottom of the page to find your phone number. Also, your website says, *“Proudly Serving Irvine, CA”. *That seems to indicate you only work one city.

And, as noted in my first paragraph, why would anyone in CA want an inspector that follows the SOP’s of CO.

Others will join in shortly with more assistance.
Good luck.

Goto the marketing section of this forum and read all the posts going back at least 10 years… sounds daunting, bit you will quickly find patterns and learn what may be helpful for your particular situation. Good luck.

^ This.

There is so much good advice already posted, just waiting to be read.

In the meantime, your website needs work.

As William said, your website says you ONLY serve Irvine. While I agree having a small target area is a good idea, that’s too small. You need to add surrounding areas.

Your photo needs to be replaced with a professional headshot. Sorry, you look like you just woke up on a camping trip in that picture.

Your “about” page says nothing about you. It’s just generic text found on 1001 other sites. Just because one took some classes and own a flashlight does not make one an inspector. You have to explains why someone should hire YOU over the next person. What makes you different than the inspector down the street?

No one gives a rear end which software you use.

Your social media presence: Nice that you have a facebook set up, but you barely post on it. It should be updated daily.

Blog.

Expand your hours past 5pm. Yes, in the winter, that’s fine. But in the summer, people like taking advantage of the extended daylight and schedule inspections to start later in the day. You’re cutting those people off.

It took me 6 to 8 months to get an agent referral. But I was able to at least justify staying in business off the general public finding my website.

And forget emailing agents out of the blue. You have to get out there and network, network, network. Face to face time is what gets agents interested.

Thank you all I will be revising my website, adding things in my ‘about me’. I will start reading the marketing forums, and blogging more frequently.

Ian has done well in developing his business in this highly competitive So Cal market, heed his advice. I do.

The direct to consumer advertising and promotion will get you jobs here and there. Ditto for website and social media. Here’s the rub; gotta get in good with some hard working agents. However, said agents probably already have a short list of preferred home inspectors. How do you get on that list? Figure that out, and you have a viable business.

P.s.

I mean no offense, but you appear to be female. I cannot think of one female home inspector I’ve heard of in So Cal. There is a lot of “girl power” in some of the realtor circles, female agent committees et al, I would brand and work that angle for all it’s worth if I were you. I think it would be awesome.

There are a few, but not many.