GFCI receptacles in older homes

When inspecting an older home say built 1964, Do you list the lack of GFCI as a requirement to replace or a suggestion. A lot of home inspectors ignore this issue as they are not code inspectors. But this is a safety issue? I have been listing it as not required but suggested for safety reasons.

I recommend replacement as they are “a life saving device” and cite the dates when they became required.

I agree We need to make sure we have told them and put it in the report . Same as smoke detectors . Safty Hazzard life threating hazzard … Roy

I tell my clients that when it comes to safety or electrical defects, today’s standards are my baseline. If the pickets are > 4" apart, if there is no railing at the steps, if tempered glass is absent where required, if GFCIs are absent where required, it all goes in the report. I also tell them that there is no requirement for the seller to upgrade an existing home to today’s standards for sale purposes and that they don’t have to buy the home. Everything is negotiable.

GFCIs and AFCIs are the only item I can think of in which I give the dates when they became required because that information is so readily available to home inspectors. If you don’t tell them, they will ask. So I tell them upfront.

Agree with Joe and Roy. They always make it into my report as a safety upgrade. Keep in mind, a home built in 1964, that has had certain reno or update work performed, will need to meet the year requirements of when the reno work was done.

I use this comment Dan B. posted here. I added counter tops, like it.

-At the time this property was built (in the ------), GFCI’s (ground fault circuit interrupter) were not in use at “wet areas” and above kitchen countertops (wet areas are locations like kitchens, baths, exterior, garage, laundry, wet bars, etc).

The electrical outlet(s) at the “wet areas” of the home did not have GFCI protection. Current safety standards recommend them at these areas. I recommend to have a reputable qualified electrician install GFCI’s at all applicable areas as a safety improvement.-

Another comment I like to make is, “We didn’t wear seat belts in 1964 either. Today we know better.”

A home inspector “requires” nothing. He observes, reports and recommends.

Christopher’s comment is perfect. Also remember that they can be used on ungrounded systems with the little stickers stuck on them for open ground.