12 Things To Know Before Purchasing An Infrared Camera

I just thought I would share with all those who are preparing to purchase an infrared camera…

12 Things To Know Before Purchasing An Infrared Camera

The only problem with that thing is, it should be labeled 12 reasons to buy a FLIR infrared camera. There is nothing wrong with their cameras, but if any manufacture put out something to that effect, guess what features they will address.

JJ

You’d do the same thing!

Flir technology is recognized worldwide and IMPO I think their IR cameras and extensive training is the best bar none.

Of course FLIR is a market leader and they build systems that anyone should consider when purchasing. The “12 things” piece is worth a read but there are other resources that I think are more balanced.

The Snell Group does not sell infrared cameras nor do we endorse any products except because we believe in them—regardless of the brand!

We have an excellent “white paper” that I first wrote for Home Energy magazine which you can download at not cost: http://www.thesnellgroup.com/ReceiveWhitePapers.aspx?id=10002

We also have a webinar that discusses the issues we feel are important to consider when evaluating systems to buy for buildings work. The recorded version of this is also free for the viewing:
http://www.thesnellgroup.com/TrainingDetails.aspx?id=10089

I am happy to respond to questions about products; my interest is in having people get what actually works. Of course we also hope they will, in the process, recognize the value of our training products.

What can say, without hesitation, is that there has never been a better time to buy infrared in the 25 years I’ve been using the technology!

Thermally yours,

John Snell
ASNT NDT Thermal/Infrared Level III #48166
The Snell Group
800-636-9820
802-229-9820

http://www.IRTalk.com

#13: Go to www.InspectorOutlet.com and buy a Fluke.

You are not kidding there.

Even if someone is partial to one manufacture over the other, you can really thank the two recent big players that have got in to the game for helping competition in the IR arena, and really bringing prices down. Yet they are still just expensive enough to keep the hacks out.

JJ

I second that…

I am just getting started and did a lot of research before making my purchase. The Flir and Fluke both have strengths and weaknesses, like everything else.
Personally I chose the Fluke and can’t wait to receive it in a week or two. Nikolai at InspectorOutlet was a great guy to do business with also.
Thank you to everyone here for your help. In one way or another you have helped me with my decisions lately by reading through the forums.

Thanks Chris. And I happen to know that www.InspectorOutlet.com gave you an unbeatable deal in terms of pricing.

Yes sir…thanks again for all your help Nick.

You will love your camera Chris. We move a lot of TiR units, and used to move a lot of TiR1’s (now a days more Ti32 units), and we have never had a single complaint on them. That is saying a lot for two items that cost a lot. Especially in the case of HI’s, with the exception of their truck I do not think there is a more expensive item out there for the HI’s arsenal.

JJ

Bower door comes close.

True Peter, but I bet you paid for your blower door, and your training on it, faster than you did your camera and IR training. You are in the perfect situation for that application.

JJ

Yes that’s true. I think in the near future most home inspectors will look back on the day when they inspected with just a flashlight and a screwdriver.

I don’t think most people realize that the weatherization program has been around for many years and now blower doors and thermal imagers are tools used to confirm the work that was performed produced results.

Being part of this program I can clearly see that this is the way the country is going no matter who’s in the white house.

Yeah, and with oil on the way back up, it will only get more popular. We will look back 20 years from now and wonder how we built homes that consumed natural resources.

I saw something, I think in the Kriger book, that 75% of our energy consumption in the US is not from cars, but rather our homes. Crazy part about that is, we have the technology to go net zero on most homes. Net zero for transportation is a ways off still.

JJ

I just landed 2 more HUD Home Safe jobs, I submitted 3 Home Safe bids yesterday and have a site review for a 4Th on Friday. Not to mention I have a ton of weatherization work in two counties and on top of that I sold an insulation job yesterday and have an appointment tomorrow for another, these two came from Service Magic. Both of these S/M jobs the client asked about depressurizing the house.

The HUD and weatherization jobs it’s mandatory to do before and after B/D testing. One thing else I have going for me is I/R, I’m one of a handful of contractors in the state that own one.

I just purchased a small insulation blower and hope to have it by the end of the week and as these jobs progress I will post picture’s of some of the things the State requires that you would never think of, one is pipe wrap insulation. You have to use a closed cell elastomeric foam with the MFG. recommended tape, this is because regular foam breaks down over time.

The manual I have set up for the state sop is 1 1/4’’ thick, I guess my point is that this has all been figured out and implemented and is in use now and it won’t take much to expand this program. The cost saving numbers are there and it makes sense.

This is without a doubt one of the best thing I could have done for my business.

Jason, your right about oil. I bet if we weren’t in a recession oil would be about 3.50 a gallon, I bought oil in October for 2.59.

Thats awesome, keep us posted on the products you use and your jobs. I am very interested in “green” products these days. We are considering bringing on that kind of stuff, so anything like that pipe wrap I would love to have information on.

Our largest customer is doing exactly what your are doing in the New England area. He is a GC that started an energy auditing company. He did extremly well during the boom, but now runs more crews than he did then. I think you are on the same path.

JJ

I attended a REPA, Residential Energy Performance Association meeting today and found out that HERS is working with MLS to add the HERS rating to the listing sheet. Also, it appears NH will lead the country in two area’s, one licensing of energy auditors and two, adopting a new energy code that requires blower door testing to any change to a building envelope greater than 30% or more. This will also be a requirement for new construction and additions.

I just talked to a general contractor in TN today that said the same exact thing about the changes in the building envelope and new construction.

Did you see that the new weatherization bill (which dwarfs the first) has basically full support in the senate?

JJ

Yes I did and from what I understand it has alot of support in NH.

As far as the update on energy codes requiring blower door testing it looks pretty good that it will pass. To bad more inspectors don’t realize the direction the country is going. I also heard that Europe has started an energy labeling program for homes. I don’t agree with the cap and trade bill but I do think we need to be pro-active in energy consumption.

Thanks for hijacking this thread, guys.