Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits Contains discussions about thermal imaging, infrared cameras, energy audits, and more.

Old 9/13/18, 9:54 PM
Student Inspector

Default CAZ: gas fireplace depressurization limit

Combustion Appliance Zone Test: Does anyone know how to approach a wood or gas fireplace depressurization limit when doing a CAZ test?

For a wood fireplace using combustion air from the home interior, I set a blower door at 300CFM to simulate the fireplace.

However, if the fireplace has outside air source, there has to be some sort of depressurization limit. It doesn't make sense that setting the BD at 300CFM is the proper procedure.

I tested a tight home with a wood fireplace with outside air source and gasket sealed door (less than totally sealed). CAZ worst case: kitchen fan, bathroom fans, and dryer on, I measured -45pa! Power vented water heaters have -15pa limit. Closed combustion have -50pa limit. What's the limit on this fireplace? I'm sure I exceeded it, and reported it as such. But wondering what is the limit.

I can't find this information anywhere in my searching. I'm BPI Building Analyst certified.
Need a home inspection in Hawaii? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Hawaii certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 9/14/18, 6:52 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: CAZ: gas fireplace depressurization limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by msenty View Post
Combustion Appliance Zone Test: Does anyone know how to approach a wood or gas fireplace depressurization limit when doing a CAZ test?

For a wood fireplace using combustion air from the home interior, I set a blower door at 300CFM to simulate the fireplace.

However, if the fireplace has outside air source, there has to be some sort of depressurization limit. It doesn't make sense that setting the BD at 300CFM is the proper procedure.

I tested a tight home with a wood fireplace with outside air source and gasket sealed door (less than totally sealed). CAZ worst case: kitchen fan, bathroom fans, and dryer on, I measured -45pa! Power vented water heaters have -15pa limit. Closed combustion have -50pa limit. What's the limit on this fireplace? I'm sure I exceeded it, and reported it as such. But wondering what is the limit.

I can't find this information anywhere in my searching. I'm BPI Building Analyst certified.

Their is a huge amount of information on the web looks' like you did not try.. GOOGLE

I did and found some .

gas fireplace depressurization limit - Google Search

All the best... Roy
Old 9/15/18, 9:03 AM
Student Inspector

Default Re: CAZ: gas fireplace depressurization limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcooke View Post
Their is a huge amount of information on the web looks' like you did not try.. GOOGLE

I did and found some .
Thanks for your comments and search. In fact I did spend time doing a search. Obviously your search came up with the information I needed. Thanks again!

Answering my own question now, from "BPI Interpretations, Clarifications, and Comments: b) If the gas fireplace is a sealed combustion insert, a spillage test is not required. It is recommended to use smoke directly in front of the unit while operating (any signs of spillage may indicate an issue). Carbon monoxide must be measured at the exterior termination point. If this point is not accessible, measuring ambient carbon monoxide directly in front of and above the unit is recommended. Draft testing may be impossible to perform since there may not be an appropriate location in which to properly place a test probe. Any corrective action required is stated in Building Analyst Standard, page 13. CAZ Depressurization Limits for a sealed combustion appliance would apply."

Meaning the depressurization limit for a gas fireplace with sealed combustion and an outside combustion air source is the same as a sealed combustion gas furnace, namely -50pa

The comment in the BPI standard about testing the seal of any opening is an important comment. There are wood fueled fireplaces with outside combustion air source and access doors that have compromised gaskets. In that case, the seal of the door is critical once again. Not sure if these fireplaces are defined as sealed combustion units. They may be more like a power vented furnace with combustion air supplied to the furnace enclosure through a pipe from the outside, or even like a natural vented appliance. In that case, the CAZ limit is -15pa, or even as low as -5pa. I'll have to do more research on this item, using google.

I just performed an energy code compliance test including a CAZ of -42pa and a sealed gas fireplace. A few months past, I had a -45pa CAZ reading on a home with a wood fired fireplace with gasketed doors and outside combustion air source. I found -10pa as a standard with some States for wood heat stoves and likely for sealed door fireplaces. None of these are BPI or ANSI standards.

As homes are built tight, this depressurization can become a fatal condition in terms of carbon monoxide, something to not miss during an energy audit. Thus my initial question and concern.

Last edited by msenty; 9/15/18 at 5:22 PM..