Commercial Flat Roof Fee

What do you charge to do an IR scan on a commercial flat roof? I know there are other factors involved, but in general do you charge by the sq-ft or by the hour.

Thanks in advance.

We do it at a dime a sq or $1500 (whichever is more), and normally have no problem getting that. However that includes two sub out jobs, core samples and nuclear.

JJ

Thanks Jason.

Mathew,
PM me and I would be glad to share my pricing policy on flat roof scans.

As others have stated better do the nuclear along with the IR.

Chuck

And I would recommend sub’n the nuclear, even if you know how to do it. It is better to have an independant company do it, so there is no conflict of interest.

I would also highly recommend renting a short wave imager to do flat roofs.

JJ

Thanks to all that applied.

Can you tell me more about the nuclear testing, links to nuclear equipment manufacturers or any suggestions on the equipment used for that flat roof applications? I Googled it and only came up with companies that do nuclear testing, but could not find any product info.

Thanks in avance - Matt

Matt
Use keyword…Nuclear Moisture Survey

Thanks Bob.

I found this site and model http://www.troxlerlabs.com/PRODUCTS/3216features.shtml

I emailed them regarding pricing. I am researching the benifit of using a nuclear scanner vs the Tramex DEC roof scanner. I want to start an infrared program in 2010 that focuses on commercial flat roof surveys and inspections. I am going to upgrade my IR B-cam to a B360. I still have a lot of research to do and educational needs to increase.

The nuclear meter seams complicated. you have to get licensed and take a radioactive materials course. Between an IR camera and something like the Tramex DEC roof scanner is the nuclear really needed? I have much more research to do, but would be grateful for any thoughts, opinions and suggestions on the topic.

Thanks in advance

The nuclear application and theory is pretty easy to understand. The nuclear testing device shoots neutrons into the roof. The hydrogen in H20 slows the neutrons and can then be counted by the device.

Generally speaking the very best mositure meters, including the Tramex will only go down 4". Nuclear will go down 8". There are certain types of roofing surfaces that infrared will not work on, that nuclear will (a deep ballast). Nuclear is very time consuming and would be nearly impossible to be able to cover the area that infrared does, affordably.

Capacitance meters are another non-destructive method of detecting moisture. Though they fall to the same issue that nuclear does, they only cover a very limited area, and go no where near the depth of nuclear.

If you are just starting off in this, I would really focus on your infrared abilities and experiences doing flat roofs before doing nuclear. Even then I would leave the core samples and nuclear to a roofer. It is better, in my opinion, to give up 25%-50% of the revenue to give up 50% of the liability.

JJ