Course selection advice

I am new to all this and profess to nothing about IR, I have only taken the 2 courses here on line, so now I guess I’m certified. lol that being said I’m looking for some advice, should I go take the level I course in NJ or should I start with the house of horrors course that’s being offered in Weston Florida.

I have been lurking here for a while and I know nobody really wants to give advice on things like camera selection but would it be beneficial to have my own camera when taking the course.

Thanks for any advice in advance
Bob

Are you new to inspecting, or new to IR?

If new to inspecting, honestly, you need to focus on honing your inspection skills, and don’t worry about ancillary services until down the road. If you don’t master your skills, none of that other stuff will matter, except the drain on your checking account.

If you’re new to IR, forget the crap, cheap courses, and go for the professional training. It will never fail you! As for the camera, most training centers recommend you wait until after your training so you understand what you actually need, and why you need it.

As for the HOH, it will help to hone your inspection skills, which is always a good thing. Personally, I think you should attend the HOH in your area first, and then visit another HOH in a different area to broaden your horizens. That extra information will pay off in the long run.

Good luck.

No you don’t need a camera to take a course simply because you don’t know what your going to do with it at this point. Go sit your Butt in a chair in a class room and feel what the instructor is conveying. The class I took for level one had cameras for me to feel and touch. On line courses never worked for me they perhaps could be your choice.

Training first, imager second. IIRC The HOH class is being taught by Jim Seffrin. If so, it should be an excellent starting point as a home inspector using infrared thermography. If you have aspirations of being a profesional thermographer start with Level-I training delivered by an instructor who is qualified under SNT-TC-1A (Infraspection, ITC and several others).

IMO classroom training for this is vastly superior to online training if you can attend. Be sure to read all course materials diligently beforehand.

Thanks guys for the advice I am new to both Inspections and Thermography I think I will start with the HOH class and then look into the Infraspection class after that. I just didn’t want to wast money by taking the HOH class if the same stuff was presented in the Level 1 class. I will also wait on buying the camera till I have finished the class and can make a better educated decision. My belief is the better trained you are the better product you can provided to your client.

Thanks again.
Bob

“If new to inspecting, honestly, you need to focus on honing your inspection skills, and don’t worry about ancillary services until down the road. If you don’t master your skills, none of that other stuff will matter, except the drain on your checking account.”

Good advice

Sound advice, John Paul.

Very good advice. Learn inspecting 1st

If your not sure you can rent a thermal camera instead of buying one.

You can rent thermal cameras from various locations.

Sure wish you were in my neck of the woods. I have 2 thermal imagers. You would be welcome into my office and we could go over the course I purchased through Infraspection Institute.

Mitchel, Take your time. Great rates for InterNACHI members. There is Building Inspection course for Home Inspectors from Infraspection Institute. The equipment can be costly! Know what your needs are.

Thanks for everyone’s input i decided to fly up to Infraspection and do their Level 1 and I passed, yea, now going to do my level II. I went all in and bought a FLIR T540 so I can hit the ground running with decent equipment. Already have 40,000 sq ft flat roof job booked so hopefully the camera will start paying for itself soon. lol

Good for you. Congrats!!

Thanks