What a dumb idea!

but it sure makes a neat picture…:smiley:

IR000211.jpg

IR000213.jpg

Radiant heating?

Yes, ceil heat. Still find it in many homes around here, and they still work many times.

Ceiling heat also a fire hazard

Seems to work well when functioning but try and fix it.

I haven’t seen any here yet. Must be a hillbilly thing.

Now that’s a generalized statement if I ever saw one! :wink:

Guess you’ve never seen “hot water” in-ceiling heat. Basically “in-floor” for the second story doing double-duty as “in-ceiling” for the first floor. Doesn’t work as well as electric, but no fire hazard.

Yes, it is a hillbilly thing. I have seen several in the “Gold Medallion” energy rated homes from the 60’s in my area. It is about hillbilly as you a can get out here. I still occasionally inspect houses without any indoor plumbing.

RCHP : Final notice

CANADA
PROVINCE OF QUEBEC
DISTRICT OF MONTREAL NO: 500-06-000011-946

SUPERIOR COURT
(Class Action)
[FONT=Arial, Geneva][size=3]ASSOCIATION DES CONSOMMATEURS
POUR LA QUALITE DANS LA CONSTRUCTION (“ACQC”)
PETITIONER-AND-SYLVAIN BOUCHARD & CHANTAL ARCHAMBAULTDESIGNATED PERSONS
V.
FLEXEL INTERNATIONAL

-AND-

THERMAFLEX LTD

-AND-
CANADIAN STANDARDS ASSOCIATION RESPONDENTS
[/size][/FONT]NO: 500-06-000010-948
ASSOCIATION DES CONSOMMATEURS
POUR LA QUALITE DANS LA CONSTRUCTION
PETITIONER-AND-GUSTAVE DERYDESIGNATED PERSONV.FLEXWATT CORPORATION

-AND-
CANADIAN STANDARDS ASSOCIATION RESPONDENTS

FINAL NOTICE - FILING OF CLAIMS
SEPTEMBER 8 2000
ATTENTION: PLEASE READ THIS NOTICE, IT MAY AFFECT YOUR RIGHTS. This notice is addressed to all individual owners of residences heated by Radiant Ceiling Heating Panels (RCHP) manufactured by Flexel International, Thermaflex Ltd. or Flexwatt Corporation when the Régie du Bâtiment du Québec issued a notice to disconnect in 1994.
1. Take notice that on September 5 2000, the honorable Maurice Lagacé, Superior court judge for the Montreal district has approve the settlement between L’ASSOCIATION DES CONSOMMATEURS POUR LA QUALITÉ DANS LA CONSTRUCTION ET AL. and the respondents FLEXEL INTERNATIONAL, THERMAFLEX LTD, FLEXWATT AND THEIR SUBSIDIARY CORPORATIONS AND THE CANADIAN STANDARDS ASSOCIATION;
2. The class action is aimed by the following groups:
“All owners of a residence heated by Radiant ceiling heating panels which were manufactured by Flexel International for Thermaflex Ltd and merchandised mainly under the following names: Safe-T-Flex MK4 and MK5, Aztec-Flexel Scotland, Thermo-flex Scotland, Thermaflex or Flexel International, Aztec-Flexel, Safe-T-Heat” (No: 500-06-000011-946);</B>
AND
“ All owners of a residence heated by Radiant ceiling heating panels of the Flexwatt 13 watts type or more which were manufactured by Flexatt Corporation” (No: 500-06-000010-948)</B>
**3. SUMMARY OF THE SETTLEMENT :**The Settlement provides for the following :a) Payment by Respondents of a lump sum of $6,000,000.00 in full and final settlement of the class actions;b) The following sums will be deducted from the above-mentioned sum: a sum of $208,856.64 will be paid to the claims administrators in order to process the claims; a sum of $5,303.23 to reimburse all judicial and extra-judicial disbursements (to be adjusted) and a sum of $1,000,000.00 (plus taxes) to Groups’ counsel for judicial and extra-judicial professional fees;c) The balance of about $5,000,000.00 (to be adjusted) will be divided among all admissible claimants (approximately 2,700 possible claims) in proportion to the power output of the heating system installed by each claimant;d) For example, a claimant having had only one room heated by radiant ceiling heating panels will receive a smaller compensation than a claimant whose entire residence was heated by such films;e) If, for example, all claims refer to a heating systems of same power output, each claimant will receive the sum of $1,850.00, which represents about 84% of the average cost for the replacement of his or her heating system;

4. RIGHT OF EXCLUSION
Members of the Class who do not agree with the Settlement may exclude themselves. Any member who wishes to be excluded from the Class and the Settlement must send a request to be excluded by registered or certified mail, to the Clerk of the Court, by October 10, 2000. This request must be sent to the Clerk of the Superior Court, 1 Notre-Dame Street East, Suite 1.175, Montreal (Quebec) H2Y 1B6, with reference to file numbers 500-06-000011-946 and 500-06-000010-948. This request must be made in writing and include the following information : a) the name and address of the member wishing to be excluded and the court’s record number; b) the name of the manufacturer; c) a statement to the effect that he or she is a member of the Class affected by this Settlement and wishes to be excluded;

5. CLAIMING PROCEDURE
a) All members of the present class action have a right to file a claim if they have not excluded themselves. To do so, they must complete the Claiming Form approved by the Court and enclose all required documents.
b) You can obtain the Claiming Form by writing to the Claims administrators at the following address:Association des consommateurs
pour la qualité dans la construction (ACQC)
2226, boul. Henri-Bourassa Est, bureau 100
Montréal (Québec) H2B 1T3
e-mail: acqc@consommateur.qc.ca
c) Your Claiming Form and all relevant documents must be sent to the Claims administrators by April 10, 2001, at the following address: 2226 boul. Henri-Bourassa Est, bureau 100, Montréal (Québec) H2B 1T3, failing which you will lose your right to be compensated.

d) The approved Claims should be paid around the month of November 2001.
e) The content of this notice and its publication have been approved by the Court.MONTREAL, SEPTEMBER 8, 2000**Group’s counsel:**Me Jean-Pierre Fafard
Sylvestre Charbonneau Fafard
740, rue Atwater
Montréal (Québec) H4C 2G9
e-mail : jpfafard@scf-avocats.com
Claims Administrators: Association des consommateurs
pour la qualité dans la construction
2226 boul. Henri-Bourassa est
Suite 100
Montréal (Québec) H2B 1T3
e-mail : acqc@consommateur.qc.ca

Linus you may have seen it and not known as it is around the area here and there.
Already have had a few inspections and used my infrared thermometer to check coils.
No fancy IR camera but my $90 gun does just fine running back and forth across the ceiling.
They need to be turned on in advance to detect the temp well however as the ceiling does insulate it.

I caught them not working properly and found out they are not worth fixing over buying a new system.

Seems to be a number of them still around Brockville, I know a few people who own them and also have inspected 3 with it since new years.

Last one I did… Bathroom one had either long ago quit or never installed and had a basebord heater, is it possible that one was never installed in bathrooms?

[ATTACH][ATTACH]IR_0393.jpg[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

IR_0392.jpg

IR_0394.jpg

I hate to disapoint you but i did heat and air and electric, for 23 years. yes i have seen it but what Sean is showing is electric, and yes it is a fire hazard, yes it was a general statement. but i knew what it was.BTW i also did fire inspections for 8 years . Just ask your local fire inspector or insurance company about this type of heat.:wink:

I hate to disappoint you about your disappointing me, but I didn’t want to disappoint any newer inspectors that have not yet seen in-ceiling heat by not pointing out (and disappointing them) another system (albeit rare) that they may run into, that isn’t (necesarily) a fire hazard. I trust your answer, so I don’t need to disappoint you and talk to my local fire inspector, which may just disappoint him about my qualifications. :shock:

Okay? :smiley:

Wayne the stuff I saw is called Ceil Heat and I have found nothing negative written about it .
Here is a link to the radiant Heat association.
http://www.radiantpanelassociation.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=97

What do you expect from a hillbilly?:stuck_out_tongue:

About the same as a old Chicago thug lol:D

Bob if you find it up there and the house has been updated with insulation , I would advise making a note about it. Scaning it with Laser only shows it is working . It may surprise you after using a thermal camera .

Bob,
The stuff installed is nothing more than thin electrical wiring that is stapled to the ceiling drywall and then covered up by another sheet… The wiring heats up to the point of warming the room.

I have yet to see one installed in a two story, and while i am sure i will, the whole principle is pointless. You loose just as much heat one way as the other, along with the fact that if you did have insulation it was r-19 or less in the attic.

The fire hazard can come into play by the fact that just like any other heating system installed in the 60s and 70s, it is aged and starting to fail…

I never thought a wire that gets hot enough to produce heat in your ceiling was ever a great idea, but then again how many cars burn down from heated seat fires.

http://www.cbsheating.com/