First Inspection

Just wanted to share some shots from my first IR usage and get some opinions.

This is a bedroom exterior wall on a two story home. The first floor is block the second is wood frame.

DSCF0014.JPG

IR_1270.jpg

This is the same room by the window on the same wall.

IR_1269.jpg

DSCF0013.JPG

This is around the front door.

IR_1263.jpg

DSCF0007.JPG

This was the ceiling in the second floor bath. There was no attic access for the second floor.

DSCF0016.JPG

IR_1272.jpg

I’m curious Greg.

Did you move that couch or chair out from the wall to get that shot?

No the bed was away from the wall.

Gotcha
I thought that might have been the reason for the cooler area due to lack of air circulation.

So never mind;-)

As far as the baseboard being cooler,it may be air infiltration. Your weather today was not real hot. Also the sill plate and trim (wood) show up cooler as do the studs in the walls. Here’s a pic of air infiltration in a closet above a cold garage.
The colder areas above the baseboard may be lack of insulation or moisture. Did you check them with a moisture meter??

Meyerott Inspection 020 [640x480] Baseboard.jpg

If it is on a slab, that would explain the cooler perimeter…right? Air leak at door gasket.

Thanks for the call from Barry and Linas. I really appreciate you guys sharing your knowledge with me.

Congrats on your new services Greg. Your camera will pay for itself in no time.

Thanks Matthew. I haven’t seen you in a while. I hope that things are going well.

Greg,

I detect cold air at this floor transition area quite a bit. It’s caused from insufficient insulation inside the outer rim board/sill cavity.

This is my recommendation when I find these voids…

***I recommend insulating the outer cavities of your rim joist area. Many homeowners are not familiar with the rim joist area, so let me explain. The rim joist area is the most outer portion of your flooring system below your living area. Basically, it’s the small wood cavities that are at the top of your foundation. As you are looking at the top of your concrete foundation, it is the first wood cavity where your floor joists are sitting on a wood sill and abutting the rim joist. See “Rim Joist Illustrations” in your report.

These rim joist cavities should be filled with either un-faced fiberglass batts or rigid board insulation, cut to fit snugly into the outer most portion of these cavities. Once this insulation is properly installed, it will become an effective insulation barrier that will improve efficiency at the most outer edges of your living area floors. Another more expensive option for insulating this area would be to apply a foam insulation into these cavities either by you or by a professional.

(A second floor would be worded differently)

Needs additional weatherstripping.

Are you getting the blower door?

This is an example of an insulated area that needs to be sealed:

Meyerott Inspection 020 [640x480] Baseboard.jpg

Meyerott Inspection 024 [640x480].jpg

Meyerott Inspection 023 [640x480].jpg

That is probably the case here. The wall does connect with the garage attic.

This was a closet above a garage.

Greg,

I wish you all the best with your new venture…smart move on your part!!

I have only been in the inspection business for 3+ years but I instantly recognized this technology as a must for all inspectors!

The bedroom stuff - air infiltration. David - is iit really practical to go back and seal in the manner you suggest after the home is complete? If we caught it during construction, that would be one thing. But after?

Front door is air infiltration - improve the weather-stripping.

Bathroom ceiling looks like light or disturbed insulation in that area. With time you will start to get a feel for completely missing insulation compared to places that have insulation but it is improperly installed or disturbed.