Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits Contains discussions about thermal imaging, infrared cameras, energy audits, and more.

Old 2/5/18, 10:47 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Flir c2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldenberg View Post
Wha! You makin' stuff up?
No one could be that dumb to interpret big wet footprints for a shower leak......................
I'm still waiting to see my first shower door that has a gasket.

Chuck Evans (TREC #7657)
Level III Infraspection Institute Certified Infrared Thermographer (#8402)
HomeCert Houston Home Inspections & Thermal Inspections Find us on Facebook
The Woodlands Home Inspection

Houston, TX

SUBMIT YOUR AWARD NOMINATIONS HERE

The InterNACHI Awards Committee is the final authority of issuance of any award the committee offers.
Need a home inspection in New York? Check out InterNACHI's listing of New York certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 2/6/18, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoldenberg View Post
Wha! You makin' stuff up?
No one could be that dumb to interpret big wet footprints for a shower leak......................
I saw a sample report last year(?) from a nearby franchise low baller that identified the reflection of his armpit off the deadfront as an "over heated breaker".

Dave Fetty Certified Master Inspector
Florida Home Inspection And Property Services LLC
www.FHIAPS.COM
www.NaplesBestInspector.com
www.FortMyersInspector.com
Naples, Marco Island, Ft. Myers, Bonita Springs, Estero, Cape Coral
Dfetty@FHIAPS.COM
http://https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flori...2450912?ref=hl
Florida Radon Measurement Technician R2547
(239)339-7380
Old 2/6/18, 10:06 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by belliott View Post
Attachment 199816

Took this Tony.....feel free to call me away from the Vultures .
Now that is an excellent example Bob!

A perfect example of stupidity in IR!

Thermal imaging cannot "see" through glass (or other opaque materials)! So there you have it. You did not identify water.

OP-this is a perfect example of indirect measurement. You are seeing the effects of the water not the water.

If you get a camera without any training you're going to go look for something "blue". Blue does not mean "water". Blue, simply means something at a lower radiated energy than other objects in the field of view of the camera. It is up to you to identify specifically what the thermal anomaly is, thus the recommended training.

If you notice, I said "indirect measurement". The majority of thermal imaging done on buildings consists of "indirect measurements". Moisture will not be as obvious as Bob is trying to portray in his glass of water. If your camera is not sensitive enough, the only thing you're going to see is gross water leakage (which will likely show up visually anyway). So it is not very important to have a thermal imaging device to conduct your home inspections. Especially if you don't know how to use it.

Is this moisture, or air?

Hint: it tested as elevated moisture with a moisture meter.

Answer: it is air.

It takes more than a thermal camera and a moisture meter to identify the difference between air and water.
Attached Thumbnails
Flir c2-ir_2627-jpg  

David A. Andersen & Associates
Clarksville - Nashville Home Inspector Lic#40 (Retired)
ITC Level III Thermographer Cert#1958
Building Science Thermographer Cert#33784
HVAC Certification EPA Cert#2046620
BPI# 5015804

Last edited by dandersen; 2/6/18 at 10:10 AM..
Old 2/6/18, 11:01 AM

Again Tony the NACHI forum is full of insulting keyboard warriors and you just met them.....check the same names chasing and insulting everyone from past threads and see. Many of the best Inspectors across the country use C2 and Flir One to help detect and prove ....They simply do not splash the pretty rainbow colors all over their websites and overcharge everyone for aiming a camera is all . You will not see these same goofs on any FB groups yacking away for self gratification for a good reason . P.S last week went out with one of the most well known Thermographers in the business and saw the same stuff he saw with a much more expensive model camera .....Go figure .

Its H.I not needed to pay $10,000 in camera and courses to see radiant heat strips .....LOL
Old 2/7/18, 10:19 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

The C2 is a great little camera. Yes, it is the low if not lowest end commercial level camera. I take the same position as Bob, know what you plan to use it for, and for most HI applications it works well. It's small and fits nicely in my tool belt so I have it all the time. No, your not going to see that small leak in the 25ft cathedral ceiling (but you will see the temperature variation). I have found and verified hidden leaks, it's great for testing radiant heat operation, air locked radiators, hot panel issues. It's good for the work we do daily. Get some training, and never stop reading, it's a lot of practice to understand what you are looking at. Also, know what it is not. It's not a $4,000 tool. The C2 is a pocket knife, if that's what you need, great. But don't go around challenging (Like I remember one idiot doing) people like Chuck who's camera would be more of a Samurai sword. His business model requires that. Pick the tool you need for the job you plan to do.

Carey Home Inspection
Serving New York, Massachusetts, and Connecticut
www.careyhomeinspection.com
NYS License #160000071944 MA License #977 CT License #HOI.0000908
NYS Licensed Mold Assessor #MA01058
NYS Licensed Commercial Pesticide Technician #T4893464
IAC2 Certified Radon/Mold
Infrared Certified
Old 6/9/18, 4:01 PM

It doesn't have high resolution but you can find leaks and overheated wiring. It's also very tough and goes through falls. I like it.
Old 6/20/18, 2:29 PM

from someone that used both, I bought a C2 as an entry level and it did its task but I have since upgraded to a E8 and the difference is beyond comparison. you can do even better than the E8 too, look into fluke as well. I settled on the E8 based off reviews a a better price off Inspector Outlet

CHARLES H HODGES
FL - HI8377
CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR

Last edited by chodges1; 6/20/18 at 2:41 PM..