FLIR, thanks for the awesome support!

Going into the home inspection business with infrared technology was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

Of course we all have a few kinks to work out with any type of business but dealing with FLIR has been the worst business decision I’ve ever made.

The above message has recently changed it’s course. Yes, I’ll say I did feel what I said to be true until recently when Tom O’ Toole from FLIR contacted me offering support concerning my situation.

I will humbly eat my words and reply that FLIR has turned me from a recently unsatisfied customer into a life long FLIR user and promoter. I don’t think I’ve ever had a company or company employee, such as Tom, ever even come close to the level of customer service that I’ve recently received.

If I never gained another thing from joining InterNachi than this one posting experience would have made it worthwhile in the benefits I’ve received.

Most of the time people get their ***'s ripped apart for posting the slightest negative comment or even slightly dis-agreeable comment on a forum but for some odd and thankful reason that wasn’t the case with this thread. Yeah, I received a few reply’s from others perspective but while also being supportive and understanding at the same time.

Much Thanks to Nick, Andrew, Ron, David, Jeffery, Linas, and even you Dan! Most importantly, Thanks to Tom at FLIR for your support!

Problem resolved! See details in thread

That totally sux dude!!!

Seems to me, I would be taking their logo and link off of my website home page asap.

I would probably take that $770 and take a drive to their corporate HQ in Portland (actually just south of) and have a few words (in-person) with them.

As far as losing the home inspector business, I really don’t think they give-a-damn. We are probably a very tiny segment of their market.

Good luck! Keep us advised of what happens.

I charge $175 an hour and use a 4 year old BCam. Never had any problems. Expensive tools are expensive to repair. I sure would like a B200 some day. Sorry to hear about your loss.:frowning:

Brandon,
Give this gentleman a call or send him an e-mail. He was very helpful when I had an issue with my B360.

Tom O’Toole [Tom.O’Toole@flir.com]

Brandon, Tom is a friend of mine. I’ll give him a call on your behalf.

I feel your pain but as a bystander to this debacle, it can be seen another way as well.

Just like all technology, as it gets better and more popular, the price drops. No different than computers. Buy a laptop at $2000 and months later you can get a more powerful model for $1400. Or buy a new car and drive it off the lot and subtract 20% unless it is a rare model.

So looking at this deal from another standpoint, you have a broken (not mint, broken), obsolete camera and you want more money than it is worth. And you blame the manufacturer?

I hope Flir comes through for you but if they do, it would be above and beyond. Good luck.

Brandon -

You almost come off sounding like the guy that walks into a car dealer AND says I wanta buy the most expensive one … Where is it.

Your camera will do a great job for years to come.

Yes I would be unhappy with a 7" fall and a broken button.

5 years ago I bought a brand new Sony Digital Camera. The 1st day to use it, its pouring cats and dogs. I go to get out of the car and Mr Camera slides off the seat - hits the floor board and bounces into the street - right into the storm gutter (water 6"-8" deep).

Being a dumb butt - I take it inside - dry it off - and turn it on (bad move). When I called Sony and explained the problem, they were nice enough to explain that what I did was NOT covered under warranty and AFTER I sent the UNUSED camera in for repairs / they wanted $150.

It took 4 letters and 2 calls BUT I finally got it resolved. NEVER used Sony again. VERY bitter taste in my mouth. ***** happens…

Oh come on now…

Do you have insurance on your $11k truck?

You have no facts to support your allegation.

Three of us purchased B3…'s last month, they threw in “thousands of $$$” of free stuff with them.

Another rep wanted to charge me for what I wanted. Extra batteries, shipping, accessories…
They don’t know what comes out of the factory. You need to Shop, wait for the right time, and shop some more. I had to wait longer for my camera, but I saved Thousands.

A battery costs $150. Are you going to get pissed when it goes bad? It will!

I know, your just pissed.
I think some call it “being on the bleeding edge of technology”.

I bought three cameras from Flir (and I still have 5 of the 6 Sony cameras by the way). Never paid full price. Never didn’t get a deal. But I had to wait it out and jump when jumping was right.

When I purchased my last camera I still had a catalog on my desk with a sales price of $13k. I know where your coming from, but it’s not the sales guys fault.

I sat next to Larry Cage in Level I. I fell in love with his B400 with extras. I saw a T300 recently that would knock his in the creek. Parts change, and they have to move inventory.

How many HI’s “low ball” in a bad economy?

It’s business guys.

Hell they have Flir IR cameras in Australia that put ours to shame.
Don’t ask me why…

If you don’t like the new low prices, thank the low end suppliers and trainers out there. That’s what drives market value.

I really appreciate those of you who offered advice and help. It really says alot about someone who sticks their hand out to offer assistance for nothing more than just trying to help another out. I’ll definitely remember your names and hopefully try an return the favor some day.

PROBLEM RESOLVED

Brandon
Thanks for the in site as before now I thought they were the premium service company.

Premium reputation is not always deserved from what I am reading here.

I will be sure to just go with price rather than big name in the future.

I can honestly say I wasn’t posting for any reasons of actually wanting to hear from FLIR. I was irritated with the situation I described and was simply posting to vent off a little steam to someone other than my Chihuahua.

My phone started ringing at 8am this morning. I had to leave for a bit but then came back to see numerous call attempts and emails from

Brandon I think you struck a nerve… Your post " I hate FLIR " Is all over the internet… You will be getting a call from FLIR I bet… over this one.

I did a search on you post and man its all over the internet…

Stick em in the eye dude…:mrgreen:

Best

Ron

I know an inspector who recently was charged $350.00 for a battery from Flir. Wait tell he finds out they only cost $150.00

I had to get batteries from Canada for my BX320. They were not $150 I assure you!!

Brandon, doesn’t your camera have a protector for the AF button?
Flir should replace it and recall cameras for insufficient design.

I always lay my camera down, buttons down (not any more).

Brandon -

When I started IR shopping, I also started to go with Flir. Then I took their Level I Class, saw the equipment; listened to the guys and went Fluke. Great decision.

I can honestly say I wasn’t posting for any reasons of actually wanting to hear from FLIR. I was irritated with the situation I described and was simply posting to vent off a little steam to someone other than my Chihuahua.

My phone started ringing at 8am this morning. I had to leave for a bit but then came back to see numerous call attempts and emails from

**I can honestly say I wasn’t posting for any reasons of actually wanting to hear from FLIR. I was irritated with the situation I described and was simply posting to vent off a little steam to someone other than my Chihuahua.

My phone started ringing at 8am this morning. I had to leave for a bit but then came back to see numerous call attempts and emails from Pat Mcdonough and Tom O’ Toole from FLIR offering support.

I explained my situation to Tom and he was completely understanding and agreeable of my feelings toward situation. He said that they don’t get very many complaints about their products but when they do it’s their number one goal to get them resolved and keep satisfied customers. After seeing over 13 missed call attempts I would have to say they were definitely giving it their best effort to atleast address my concerns.

I honestly thought of FLIR as a robot company without any feelings or cares but I will admit I was proven wrong.

I was actually hoping Tom could steer me in a better direction in regards to getting my camera button repaired. I asked him if there was another repair shop that might could repair it for cheaper. He had already lined up and had a work order for repairs along with having my camera upgraded. I asked for a price hoping it wouldn’t be more than about the $1,500-$2,000 mark and his response was about the best response one could ever ask or even hope for.

He said he looked at my website and saw that I supported and promoted FLIR and in return stated they valued me as a customer, wanted to support me, and simply hoped that I would consider continuing to use FLIR’s products. :D:D:D \:D/:shock: Not to mention giving me his personal cell and telling me to contact him directly with any future concerns. I didn’t even know what to say.

Decent customer service would have been a couple calls and a discounted repair. I would have been grateful but I would have still be shopping for other cameras. Over and beyond customer service is repairing the camera, upgrading the camera, giving me a direct “get er done” contact number, and simply hoping I’ll consider continuing to use FLIR. That’s the type of service that makes customers loyal fans and product promoters. They left me no choice. Looks like I’ve gotta eat my words and say I’m still a FLIRMAN.

Once again, THANKS to all of you involved in this thread and especially to those of you who offered assistance.

This InterNachi place just might start growing on me**:mrgreen:

Glad it all worked out for you Brandon. One thing that I think everyone needs to realize about large companies is their customer service reps are numerous and generally have a high turn over rate. For the most part they are trained with a manual for responses and generally just are getting through the day. It is a tough part of a company to motivate and train. This is obviously not true for every customer service rep, but the stereotype holds fairly strong. This is not just a FLIR issue.

We have been dealing with manufacturers and customer service departments since 1991 and the story gets worse as the company size gets larger.

If you guys learn one thing about Brandon’s experience, deal with a distributor or some higher up rep. when you want to get something done. I cannot tell you how many times a customer calls us extremely frustrated at a company’s customer service department and we usually can take care of the issue(s) with a couple of phone calls.

JJ