Integrating IR into Home Inspection

Okay I have made the jump. I am pursuing Thermography at full speed. I will have my Level I by the end of the week. I need some help and input on how to effectively integrate infrared scans into my home inspection routine. I plan on offering it as an ancillary service.

I am imagining that I will be doing my IR scan at the end of the inspection after I have been able to run plumbing, get a load on all of the electrical circuit, tweaked the Delta-T as much as possible.

Would you be willing to share how you have effectively integrated the IR Scan into your home inspection process? Thanks

Holy crap Batman!

Finally a post that doesn’t start by asking where can I get the cheapest price on the cheapest camera…

Curious on if your level 1 training is helping and if you have incorporated IR into your home inspections?

First you need to decide if you are doing a full scan or a partial scan. I say this because if you are only doing the interior of the home it is only a partial scan. When I do a full scan of the home with a full inspection I image the exterior first as long as there is power and heat. Then I go inside and image the interior without the lights on as it can mess with the camera. I then do my regular home inspection. Once complete I do a final walk through with the imager and lastly the attic. On a partial scan of the home I do my regular inspection and then image the home as you have said.

Greg,

So far I have only done partial scans. So on a full house scan, when you do the final walkthrough with the imager is there any particular area that you give any special attention to with the imager? Or conversely, is there any area not of interest with the IR imager during the same walkthrough?

Why do you have LEVEL I training for home inspecting?? Kyle, we are taking a class as a company in Olympia next month with Brent Foster, owner of NW Thermography, It is one day at $350, welcome to join us, also Instead of Level 1 i would have flown to NACHI and just worked with John McKenna on getting Infrared Certified. Much Cheaper and makes more sense for home inspectors. Give me a call if you like. Were did you get your LEVEL 1 training from?

I 100% disagree with this. Level 1 is focused on the foundations and the science of thermography. You learn all of the basics and have a better understanding of your equipment. I basically had a toy until I got my level 1 from ITC, and now I have a tool. I will be getting level 2 next but that is only because I use this in an electrical capacity and need more in-depth training. For a home inspector, I would say that getting a level 1 certification is very important to properly using this tool in the field.

I agree. Level I teaches the what, why science behind the technology.

why are you promoting mediocrity?

OP said he is “all in” which TI. He is past playing around.
All of what you said will not lead to the needed progression down the road for him.

Kyle, Get with a certified program (not one that uses the word “certified”) and stick with it as far as you can afford. The rest is a wast of money and time if your serious.

If you want a “discussion” on how to proceed, call me. I cover training, equipment and marketing.

I never focus on one particular area. To me that can get you in trouble because you can sometimes fixate on one thing but right beside it is a bigger issue.

I once did a full IR scan of a home. I was looking at the panel that had numerous issues. I will say that I was definitely fixated on the panel. as I was putting the camera down on the Dryer a few feet away, my image went completely purple. The wall adjacent to the panel was very cold. On further review, it was found that the tub above the plumbing wall was leaking into the wall cavity. If I had not been putting my camera down I may have missed it.

I learned a very valuable lesson. Check everything as if there is an issue.

I hope I am answering your question. Maybe Chuck could jump in if I am mistaken.

As to your question; “I need some help and input on how to effectively integrate infrared scans into my home inspection routine.”
a. When placing/integrating thermograms in a home inspection report, the data is Quantitative data as opposed to ** Qualitative data**. Quantitative data requires a level two (2) certification.

Back up you thermogram with measurements from “various meters” you used during the survey.
Suspect: Moisture intrusion. Use an image of the moisture meter reading with you thermogram. Edit images to indicate where the point of reference, the location is.

Hope that helps.

Robert - I tried to tell you via PM, but your account doesn’t accept them. You’ve got your quantitative and qualitative reversed. You might want to edit your post.

Much thanks!
Level II Certified Infrared Thermographer® is a five-day course for the application of quantitative thermal imaging and temperature measurement for P/PM, Condition Monitoring, Quality Assurance, and Forensic Investigations.
Best.