IR Viewer

http://www.thermalimageviewer.com

Hmm, looks like you’re just getting their same 5 images on your site, not custom images (which would be much more difficult due to the resolution). I could probably put something like this together with more interesting photos as well.

Dominic, let me know when you get this put together. I would be interested.

Mark

I would need some high resolution or panoramic images from guys along with a normal digital image. Email me what you got and I’ll see what I can put together!

And only simulated thermal images at that.

Last time I looked my imager couldn’t see the leaves through the glass window or the tile through the glass shower stall. Perhaps my imager is inferior.

Concept is interesting, but I would want to show real thermal and visible light images of my own. Not some pseudo IR rendering of a visible light image. Also not spending $200 for a website novelty.

I thought the images were bogus too but didn’t want to say that as I don’t have a camera to play with! Get me some images and I’ll create something that doesn’t cost $200. The only problem with showing your own images is getting them to align would be difficult. You’d have to stitch the thermal together first.

There are a few you can experiment with here http://homecert.com/IRInspection.htm. The paired thermal and visible images are pretty close and the IR resolution is 640x480. These wouldn’t be ideal for publishing as my IR lens is a bit narrow for that. Would be better with a 45 degree lens.

640x480 is great. Set the digital photo to that and and take a few shots from a distance, see if it shows enough detail to be interesting.

It would be nice to have real images, and a sample that inspectors could
put on their website (in exchange they could provide a link in the image
to your site, Dominic).

I’ve had a few guys send images but they need to be at the same angle and preferably at the same dimensions so they can be overlaid.

This is what I do…

http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss162/dandersen_02/anigif.gif

Looks good by it’s own, but if you look closely the images don’t match up which would make it hard to make something larger like their flash animation.

Dominic,

All my images are taken from the same exact angle. The problem is, the IR camera has a smaller resolution (320 x 240) verses the digital camera with a larger resolution (800 X 600). When you go to stack these images, it’s almost impossible to get them perfectly lined up due to the camera resolutions not being equal to each other.

I made this one, but it’s not 100% perfectly lined up. I had to stretch the IR image a bit.

I just threw this together from photos not intended for this.

As David V stated, They will never match exactly. Even the PIP options in IR cameras are not the same. I’m not sure if it is the shape of the detector arrays or camera focal length.

Dominic,

I’ve got it figured out.

The guy who is selling the IR Viewer simply took the digital image and changed the color palette to the overlapped image. Then he probably photo-shopped the defect area.

Can you try this (oh mighty one)?

Getting the images to line up has more to do with the IR Lens and a standard camera Lens. they are not the same. My BX320 Has a 45Degree and my camera must be I don’t 50 or 55Degrees…

Best

Ron

I think you’re right David!
There is nothing in that photograph that corresponds to what really shows up in an infrared scan!

Just another one of those bogus IR things out on the Internet!

I did a job the other day for someone that wanted an infrared photograph to put in a magazine on a product they are selling. As I was providing different options for the client, they kept telling me they wanted to see this, they didn’t want to see that, the color wasn’t cool enough or hot enough in certain areas, things are not as clear as they had hoped etc.

I had to remind them that they are getting an infrared scan to verify performance. If they want a graphic dramatization rather than an infrared scan they should be using Photoshop and make it look however they want.

I am sure the program operates as depicted in advertising, however the end result will not look like this! It actually will look much less dramatic in most cases.

Also, this program will really stink with low resolution cameras.

Even when you adjust your digital camera to the proper focal length, it is not the same. It gets better though.

The applications that are out there want to put a small infrared scan in the middle of a wide angle view so you can see the perspective of where the anomaly is. So basically you’re using a telephoto infrared lens with a wide-angle digital camera. The fisheye effect in wide-angle lenses will distort and prevent alignment.

If I adjust to 45° with a digital camera, the size of the IR scan and the digital picture will be the same and will overlap very closely. However, this is not how the two cameras were manufactured. Nor is it how it was intended to be used.

You can correct the distortion effect of different lens focal lengths so that they will match with computer software, but it is still very difficult.

Yeah I noticed this right away and it’s just a Photoshop effect with a little polish. The problem is that it doesn’t show anything this way!

David, what if you took several IR pictures of an area closer up, then a digital from farther back. That way the IR would have higher resolution as we stitch them together to match the digital photo?