Thermal Imaging can help with Termite damage estimates

Infrared Thermal Imaging can help with Termite damage estimates. I have new a way to estimate the amount of damage a board has suffered due to a ( [size=2]Dry-Wood Termite[/size] ) Infestation. This can help determine if a boards needs to be replace or not. The images attached are one of my ways of testing With Infrared Thermal Imaging. I have Injected the areas the Dry-wood Termites have excavated out of this 2X8 joist with water. This provides the Delta-T we need to see with the Infrared Camera just how much damage has been done to a board.

A can of compressed air can also be used for these injection into the timbers to alter the Delta T.

Ron Bibler
www.Santarosatermiteandpestcontrol.com
707-570-2000

HPIM7360.JPG

IR_0038.jpg

Interesting…

How do you know that the water you injected has permeated all of the damaged areas?

The water is injected under pressure and it starts to come out the ends or back inside the walls. This injection was done from inside the home at a window. the water had gone more 12 feet from the inside the house to the out side and up the wall and out to this joist.

Best

Ron

It sounds promising.

How did you inject the water?

A blowout anywhere along would prevent or diminish the passage of water past said rupture, wouldn’t it?

Just trying to understand more…

A blowout anywhere along would prevent or diminish the passage of water past said rupture, wouldn’t it? YES…

Or find another access or drill one…

You just keep up the pressure for at set amount of time. I have exploded boards before:mrgreen:…

Best

Ron

Men and their toys, err, I mean tools. :smiley:

Great find.

I didn’t need to magnify the termite infestation that I detected here…

This goes WAY beyond anything remotely contained in the SOP. The methodology is likely subjective, as well.

Once the infestation has been identified, or the damage located, it is no longer the inspectors job to determine or advise which or how many boards require replacement. This is where we get into trouble. When it comes to estimating the extent of damage, I caution inspectors to stay far away from this potentially litigious part of your inspection service.

Again, the methodology is subjective and incomplete. This comes into play when you mis-diagnose… The technique alters the conditions which exist using invasive and potentially destructive techniques. There is a reason the industry SOPs are written in the manner they are.

Ron is an exterminator and doesn’t follow home inspection SOP.

Joe and Linas, good points.
If there’s no standard for testing/detecting and documenting for WDI, then I agree that the pandora’s box has been opened. Set your clients expections and your limitations, document your findings, refer to the NPMA-33 report comments, and recommend further intrusive evaluation by a licensed/qualified contractor, along with all necessary repairs.
Peter
(PS, get certified in CPR and bring a defibrillator for all attendees. ha ha ha)

Ron, what IR camera did you use to take the pics in post #1?

Hi Nick I just got a new FLIR BX320 With a 45 Degree Lens The Flir Guys put this together for me. This was its first day out of the box and the first Images from it. Very Nice Camera. I have look at all the Cameras on the market and for the money $ 10K Its a lot of camera for the money…

Best

Ron

P.S. How are things working out with Skip and the Ridged Guys. I told him to contact you. I have there Explorer camera with 9MM Lens. Excellent Camera.

nice

http://www.pacificnorthwestinspections.com/nachi.gif

Don’t even get me going with the Ridgid camera. I’ve got some amazing images, but I don’t to to go OFF TOPIC.

Great information Ron! Thanks

What some people don’t understand, is that many members don’t only do Home Inspections. So SOP’s don’t always come to play in our everyday situation. Many of us perform building diagnostics, do research or are contractors in the building trades. But it’s information like Ron has posted that keeps everyones skills honed! It’s something new and a method of detection that will be very helpful.

Thanks again Ron.