thermography

Good Afternoon,

I currently offer thermography and I’m currently using a Fluke TI-32. I really feel this is over kill for a home inspection. Is anybody using a Fluke Ti100 or a Flir E series or I series. I’m thinking about down sizing to a more affordable gun. Just have some questions about them.

Now that a new perspective…

What kind of gun are you fixin to buy?

He is going to hang out with Meeker!

sr.jpg

Are you making money with the imager that you have? If you are not making money with it then the issue won’t be resolved by buying a different imager.

Assuming that you own and are not leasing your unit, you might reasonably expect to get 1/2 the new retail cost for a lightly used imager. So you might net $4,000 for your lightly used $8,000 imager. By the time you have bought your lesser replacement, you will have probably spent most if not all of your resale revenue and achieved nothing but a reduced capability. I think it’s a losing proposition.

You might do better to invest in quality training from a qualified trainer and effective marketing. That is: work on changing your business plan/strategy not your hardware.

I personally have never felt over-equipped for any thermography job I’ve performed.

Keep your camera Bryant. The Ti-32 is a good all around camera, produces a very nice image and has great thermal sensitivity.

As Chuck stated, invest in training (get to level II) and work on the marketing side.

Jason Kayor
President
AC Tool Supply
Net Zero Tools
877-207-1244

Guys I have had this model since it first rolled out 3-4 years ago. I am leasing it and now I’m in a better situation to purchase a gun compared to leasing. I love the gun, don’t get me wrong but in my market, it’s slow when it comes to thermal imaging. I get a few phone calls a month for thermal inspections (2-3 a month) but was just wondering. I’m a level 2 inspector and use it on all my home and energy inspections. Was just trying to find out who had one and were they happy with it. The pro’s vs con’s. I never worked or no anybody with a smaller gun

Again! That is a new perspective!

My perspective:

Most around here are screaming, hollering and raising a fit over the competition, lowball pricing etc.

If it’s slow when it comes to thermal imaging then you obviously have 100% of the market share at your disposal!

I quit doing home inspections three years ago!
I do infrared thermal imaging , the buyers want their house inspected as an ancillary service! :-0

Why not do like Jason says and become better at what you do (I have a couple dozen people they can attest to the fact that if you’re not a level II you will get shunned out of jobs).

I’d rather do thermal imaging for $500 than a home inspection for $500!

Lots a less time and liability.

I’m beginning to become a firm believer that home inspectors that do thermal imaging are a lost crew! Half of the population here will tell you so. They think thermal imaging should be separate from home inspection. They’re probably right!

So do thermal imaging and offer home inspection. Change the way you think and market yourself.

This right here is your problem with thermal imaging, Bryant.

It is not a “build it and they will come” business.

You have to do education for the potential clients. If you sell baseball caps, the ultimate marketing would be a Super Bowl Spot. If you had that same Super Bowl Spot for thermal imaging, I doubt you would get many calls. The reason is, people know what baseball caps are, they don’t really know how thermal imaging can benefit them.

I am doing a job for Abercrombie and Fitch today. This job came to me via an electrician I use to pull panels off in front of me during an inspection. This avenue I use for marketing is just one spoke in the marketing wheel. When I do thermal imaging for a facility of any sort for electrical I have an electrician pull the panels in front of me. I don’t use just one electrician. I use multiple ones. I educated these electricians throughout the years on what thermal imaging can and cannot do. I work as a sub contractor for some and others just give me the work, because I give them work.

You can use that same marketing approach for just about any trade. Insulation contractors, spray foam contractors, HVAC-R, roofing, etc, etc, etc.

But it doesn’t stop there. So now I have the facility manager for Abercrombie. I will hit him with educational emails 3 times over the next 6 weeks (on autopilot), then once a month. Oh and by the way, guess what? Abercrombie is in a mall. I will make sure to meet the facility manager for Scottsdale Fashion Square today. Guess what he will be getting over the next 6 weeks?

And it still doesn’t stop there. Scottsdale Fashion Square is owned by a large company that has several malls just in the valley alone. I will make sure to get all those facility contacts then set up a free live presentation on IR.

Now if I really want to make the event special I will also invite out the guys from APS and SRP and talk to them about rebates and incentives on LED, etc.

These are all just examples of things to do. If you think outside the box you can quickly develop a good account base to call upon.

Jason Kaylor
President
AC Tool Supply
Net Zero Tools
877-207-1244

Below is the link to an article, with some interesting implications, involving the use of IR thermography in post-Katrina homes to determine the extent of water damage under dry conditions.

This link is to an article discussing the use of IR thermography in locating and treatment assessment of termites. I have not read this one yet since I just ran across it but thought I would share it anyway.
http://www.rjmcontracting.com/pdf/2004-012_Bruni_FINAL.pdf

Thanks for sharing the info.