Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Thermal Imaging, Infrared Cameras & Energy Audits Contains discussions about thermal imaging, infrared cameras, energy audits, and more.

Old 1/19/10, 10:45 PM
New User

Please Note: Travis Juliussen is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Ti32

First let me start by saying this is my first post (and many more to come). I am not a member YET...it's a technicality really!? I have spent countless hours reading through every inch of this message board looking, learning, and laughing! Some of you guys have way too much free time!

I realize that this question has been beat to death...However, this IS serious business we're talking about! I will be starting a new inspection company in the next few weeks (Alaska for those who care) and I plan to use a thermal imager. My budget for a camera is roughly $4000 but I might be able to shake my wife upside down and see what else falls out! So, if I were to find, let say $9000...

And here's the question; what would you guys and gals recommend? Fluke Ti32, Flir B300/360 or something else? I THOUGHT I settled on the Fluke TiR. However, after reading many discussions on not limiting yourself, I'm wavering! It's like owning a gun...I'd rather have one and not need it, then need one and not have it (in regards to buying the best you can afford)!

Sorry for the gun reference, but I do live in Alaska!

The Ti32 (TiR32) might be a mute point if it doesn't magically appear in the next few weeks...

Thanks for the help and I look forward to learning from your mistakes!
Need a home inspection in Kansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/19/10, 11:16 PM
Active Poster

Default Re: Ti32

Quote:
First let me start by saying this is my first post (and many more to come). I am not a member YET
Quote:
My budget for a camera is roughly $4000
InterNACHI and www.InspectorOutlet.com can solve BOTH of those problems (combined), for under $4,000. You'll end up with a FLUKE TiR and an InterNACHI membership which includes $50,000.00 worth of free membership benefits. No one can come anywhere near that deal.
Old 1/19/10, 11:22 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Before you let other people here steer you into buying a camera, I would suggest getting some training first. The Level I Thermography course will help you decide what camera best suits you business goals and needs.

This is a large and very important investment that many just haphazardly make.

Just my "two" cents

Kevin

Kevin A. Richardson
Capital Infrared
Certified Infraspection Institute Level III Infrared Thermographer®, #7493
NACBI - Board Certified Commercial Building Inspector & Thermographer, #25685647
InterNACHI - Certified Professional Inspector® (CPI), #04091175
InterNACHI - Certified Indoor Air Consultant, #IAC2-00-3862
Office: 1-800-520-4367
Old 1/19/10, 11:23 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

I agree. You can rent/lease cameras before you make the investment.

Linas Dapkus, CMI & LEO wannabe
Dapkus Home Inspections
Go away Rosie. You haven't had anything useful to say since you lost your mind when Trump won.
You are such a loser.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
TRUMP/PENCE 2020

"There is nothing more frightening than a man with a gun and nothing more helpless than a man without one..."
Old 1/19/10, 11:46 PM
New User

Please Note: Travis Juliussen is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

Thanks Nick! Already there! John Mckenna and I have already spoken...Two birds, one stone! Also planning on Level I thru Infraspection.

Linas, can't you eat up $1000 a month leasing a unit? I understand the need to learn the science first, but I hate the idea of throwing money away!? It's my understanding to even become Level I certified you have to own a camera!? I do plan on taking the class taught by John before I buy anything...I just want to have what is needed, when it's needed. On the flip side, I don't want to spend any more than I have to!

Will the TiR do everything that an HI would need it to? Will it do more? I don't want to walk into a situation that requires something better! Heck maybe I should've waited to post this until after John's class!?
Old 1/20/10, 2:11 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Juliussen View Post
Thanks Nick! Already there! John Mckenna and I have already spoken...Two birds, one stone! Also planning on Level I thru Infraspection.

Linas, can't you eat up $1000 a month leasing a unit? I understand the need to learn the science first, but I hate the idea of throwing money away!? It's my understanding to even become Level I certified you have to own a camera!? I do plan on taking the class taught by John before I buy anything...I just want to have what is needed, when it's needed. On the flip side, I don't want to spend any more than I have to!

Will the TiR do everything that an HI would need it to? Will it do more? I don't want to walk into a situation that requires something better! Heck maybe I should've waited to post this until after John's class!?
It all depends on your plans and how you want to use the camera.
Taking a training class first helps you understand your options and
how the camera fits into your plans for the future. For some people,
cheaper is better and for some it is a mistake. It is really hard to
see all the dynamics until you have been through some training. I
recommend to my students that they only buy an IR camera after
they have taken some training, as Kevin said.

Thermal Imaging Video For Inspectors

John McKenna, CMI,
Building Science & Certified Level II Thermographer
InterNACHI's Thermal Imaging Instructor
Master Inspector Certification Board

Infrared Class - For Home Inspector

Old 1/20/10, 2:30 PM
Active Poster

I don't think you should take any training without your camera in hand IMHO. Imagine trying to learn to run a backhoe without a backhoe.

It's why www.infraredcertified.com requires that you have a camera.
Old 1/20/10, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
I don't think you should take any training without your camera in hand IMHO. Imagine trying to learn to run a backhoe without a backhoe.

It's why www.infraredcertified.com requires that you have a camera.
There are so many dynamics and specs regarding how and what
different IR camera can and cannot do, I have had some inspectors
tell me that they regret buying a camera before they took the training.

Many of my students buy their camera after they take our IR class
and then go back and review the 300 pages of material we give them.

So far, the most popular IR camera that our students buy is the
FLUKE TiR and most are still happy with that choice many months
later as they use it for inspections and energy audits. (I do not sell
cameras).

Thermal Imaging Video For Inspectors

John McKenna, CMI,
Building Science & Certified Level II Thermographer
InterNACHI's Thermal Imaging Instructor
Master Inspector Certification Board

Infrared Class - For Home Inspector

Old 1/20/10, 5:05 PM
Active Poster

Quote:
So far, the most popular IR camera that our students buy is the
FLUKE TiR and most are still happy with that choice many months
later as they use it for inspections and energy audits.
My impression too.
Old 1/21/10, 7:19 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
First let me start by saying this is my first post (and many more to come). I am not a member YET...it's a technicality really!? I have spent countless hours reading through every inch of this message board looking, learning, and laughing! Some of you guys have way too much free time!
Travis,

You hit the nail on the head. Go see ( or call: 609.239.4788 ) Jim Seffrin and/or Perry Cabrera at Infraspection, get your level 1, then decide what camera you want to buy.

...... I just love it when a new guy gets it and doesn't get sucked in.

Last edited by topher; 1/21/10 at 7:58 AM..
Old 1/21/10, 7:42 AM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Travis,
I took the building science course this covers many issues that you encounter during home inspections and can be applied to energy audits if you go in that direction.

Linas Dapkus, CMI & LEO wannabe
Dapkus Home Inspections
Go away Rosie. You haven't had anything useful to say since you lost your mind when Trump won.
You are such a loser.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
TRUMP/PENCE 2020

"There is nothing more frightening than a man with a gun and nothing more helpless than a man without one..."
Old 1/21/10, 6:30 PM
Registered InterNACHI Vendor

Quote:

Dear Travis:

Welcome to the exciting world of infrared thermography! We look forward to working with you in an upcoming class.

As a point of information, you do not need to own a camera to participate in one of our classes. In fact, our open enrollment classes have several cameras available for student use allowing you to experience the features and benefits of each before committing to a purchase.

For those just starting out, we recommend that you complete your Level I training before you purchase equipment. Doing so will allow you to see the many different uses of thermography and select an imager that will be appropriate the types of inspections you choose to provide. In many cases, a more expensive imager may prove to be the best choice if it allows you to provide inspections that have higher profit margins.

Please give us a call if you have any questions or we can be of further assistance.

Jim Seffrin, Director

Infraspection Institute

425 Ellis Street
Burlington, NJ 08016
609-239-4788

MasterThermographer.com
SuccessIRies.com
IRINFO.ORG
IRINFOConference.com
Old 1/22/10, 2:28 AM

For anyone with a Fluke TiR; TiR1; TiR32, etc AND Smartview

How do you change the pics to jpegs to just use that way?
Need a home inspection in Kansas? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Kansas certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 1/22/10, 9:45 AM
New User

Please Note: John Snell is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

In SmartView use the export function, either exporting a single image or a batch of them. You can choose the format and you can choose to include the temperature scale or not.
Old 1/22/10, 10:09 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Use the "export" function. Very simple.
Can be exported as JPEG, BMP, etc