Window and Door IR Question

House was Built in 1992, weather was overcast and 35 degrees.

The windows and doors had no visible defects to the eyes but with the IR camera they appear to have the internal window gas (argon) escaping. I took images at different angles and from the interior and exterior. Do the window shades being up or down make any difference?

What are your thoughts?

338816 IR 067.jpg

338816 IR 011.jpg

338816 IR 017.jpg

338816 IR 055.jpg

Your images do suggest seal failure and gas loss.

This is exactly what I was going to say. The centers are colder or warmer (depending on the image) which means they are likely bowed in making them less efficient and a sign of failure.

In a webinar from ITC titled introduction to IR building systems (26:50 to 28:00) the instructor stated the insulated glass units with the dark circles (ovals) (interior view) are indications of loss of gas content (typically argon) and loss of thermal performance.

It is not a failed seal but the Argon escaped over time (seeped out). Creates vacuum and sucks panes together. Windows performance drops to about nothing.

Thanks for the responses.

I just believe that when a seal allows gas to escape no matter how much at a time the seal has failed. It has failed to contain the gas. Bottom line is no matter what the cause is the window does not function as intended.

Being a new camera user the windows in this home showed no indications of failure especially with visual fogged glass. But the camera clearly shows poor performance and failure of the gas as you stated. It was most windows in the home would be a large expenditure for the prospective buyer.

Thanks again for your professional insight.

Neither did these but upon closer inspection you could see the glass bowing in and when you stood in the right place further away from the home.

Fridays IR inspection you could see ripples from outside and the client indicated that it condenses in the center during cold days, the center showed up on the IR as well.