Energy Star Thermal Bypass Checklist

Anyone using this during inspections? I was thinking about writing narratives for it.
If so, what software do you use?

98 views and not a single comment. Guess those narratives aren’t getting written any time soon.

Good reading Kenton, though unless someone is doing new construction or infrared than most likely will not pertain to a normal home inspection. But you knew that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Kenneth,
Yeah, that’s sort of true with a lot of green-related stuff. But I thought it might be helpful for someone trying to expand into a niche market.

That’s what I thought. Keep up the good work and thanks for all you do.

I use it all the time but mainly because I’m a rater. The EPA requires the actual paperwork to be submitted so I’m just using a fillable PDF system that allows me to collect all my data and insert my photos to the forms so I only have to keep up with 2 files per house; pre-dryall and final. I do it on my phone in the field with PDF Expert app. I’d love to have the ability to use inspector pro and have sent them a few emails about it. If there was a way to add the fillable pdf to the app I would be pumped. I’ve even tried to submit an actual template I built that says the exact thing the EPA paperwork says but it was rejected by the EPA because it wasn’t the exact paperwork. They just love to be a pain in the ***. I’d be able to produce much better reports and faster. Most of the time the builders don’t understand what I’m talking about unless I can diagram it out.
I do have some templates I use for air sealing reports for the builders. I’m still tweaking it but it allows me to draw on the framing members to point out issues and the guys building the homes always grasp it better when they can see a detailed repair option.

There really isn’t any good software systems out that help raters produce reports. We mostly build our own software systems. I’ve talked to a software developer about creating one but I just don’t have the time right now to show him what I need it to do. There really needs to be a good program that calculates all the formulas we use and produce a good report with photos.

If anyone knows of any on the market point me in the right direction because I haven’t found it yet.

down here they give the stickers freely like halloween candy
over 20 clearly visible incidences of better than 16"x48" displaced or absent insulation in ceilings & walls were just as bad with ir…ymmv

if you print poorly it’s better, right?

es2.jpg

es2.jpg

es1.jpg

es2.jpg

es.jpg

Does that say 4310 cfm for infiltration?!! That better be one massive house to pass even the infiltration.
Barry unfortunately RESNET has done a piss poor job of monitoring everyone. They are supposed to check the Providers who in turn are supposed to check the Raters but they don’t so the Providers just do what they want. I have taken over accounts in the past that the builders didn’t even know what I was doing when I was installing the blower door, they had never even seen one. I would advise clients buying an energy star home to get their own rater to check the house. It’s a huge issue and a very frustrating one if you make people do it right, because if they get sick of failing they just hire whoever tells them they will pass them. I’m seeing the same thing with code compliance; I had a builder that was in disbelief that I would be at the house for 5 hours testing. He exclaimed that the builder on the lot next to him had a guy come in for 20 minutes and look around and then produce the paperwork. Of course he wouldn’t tell me who it was and then guess what he drops me to go with the “imaginary” tester, why because he won’t fail! It frustrates me to no end.

Will you may be an exception
that’s what i read 4,228sqft conditioned space
imo, same shaq, absence of 30x20sqft of ceiling insulation should get a notice?
these raters/ratings aren’t worth the price of the stickers & i have no equipment/credentials to refute
only common sense, visual & ir images

Will great advice & you may be an exception to what i often see
that’s what i read for 4,228sqft conditioned space
these raters/ratings aren’t worth the price of the stickers & i have no equipment/credentials to refute

btw…we’ve hijacked the purpose of Kent’s post ;~))

Will great advice & you may be an exception to what i often see
that’s what i read for 4,228sqft conditioned space

btw…we’ve hijacked the purpose of Kent’s post ;~))

That’s OK. At least the thread is going somewhere now.

Sorry Kenton! lol

Barry he would have to have 12’ ceilings to be where he needs to be. Not to mention the insulation.

I would like to do more with this. Would be interested in what you are looking to do here.

Am using Home Inspector Pro

Here’s a very good 1/2 guide to the Energy Star Thermal Bypass checklist.