Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Seller Inspections & MoveInCertified Contains discussions about seller inspections and the MoveInCertified program.

Old 12/16/10, 11:53 PM
Banned

Please Note: Brian A. MacNeish is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.
Default Re: $100.00 CASH to the first person who can...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gromicko View Post
Nope. Read post# 1 slower.

I'm not saying MIC has no liability, I'm saying that MIC has less liability (in any scenario with all other things being equal) than the same inspection performed traditionally for a buyer.

I'd much rather inspect for the person moving OUT of the home, rather than IN to the home. And I'd much rather have the buyer's inspector find anything I missed before any damages can accrue.
Nick.....What are you saying then..................???

From an earlier post by yourself.....

"I'd much rather do a sloppy home inspection for seller, who is helping me perform it, who is not relying on it, who is moving OUT of the home, and who has a buyer who is sending in his/her own inspector to catch anything I've missed and who takes on all the liability for me... than... the buyer, who IS relying on my report, and who is moving IN to the home and who doesn't have any other inspector but me to blame."

Can you reconcile these two claims by yourself??
Need a home inspection in Alaska? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Alaska certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 12/17/10, 12:04 AM
Active Poster

In an MIC inspection, the buyer's inspector takes on all the liability incurred by inspecting for the buyer.

Now does that mean an MIC inspection is 100% liability free? Nope. There is always the possibility that you end up with a wacky seller who watches Judge Judy on TV all day and files a frivolous claim against you, even though he is moving to Bangladesh. He might sue you for something legitimate as well (maybe you fell of your ladder, landed on his cat, and killed it). However, the small chance of this occurring doesn't change depending on if your client is a buyer or seller. Risk such as that is a constant (cost of doing business). If you want to eliminate all risk, quit the inspection business (don't have clients). If you want to reduce your company's overall risk dramatically, do more MIC inspections.

Last edited by gromicko; 12/17/10 at 12:19 AM..
Old 12/19/10, 8:48 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

I think the biggest point here is the opportunity to sell your product " residential home inspection " under or with a new venue or marketing strategy.
I see several opportunities by BOTH parties to gain from the MIC.
The sellers gets to see there home on a personal level , one that enables them to do everything necessary to make there home 100% marketable in a slow market.
By fixing those defects that can come back to haunt them during the homes time on the market.
Defects can be the ( deal killer ) or bring down the value of a home and thats fact.
More likely defects drives down the sellers asking price.
A small repair or large repair enables them to sell there house as whole and intact.
You can get above market value showing you have maintained your property.
Simple sales strategies enable a home to gain much higher monitory yields.
CMI is a winner and should be part and parcel to every HI sales strategies.
Thats how I see it anyway.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc
Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
From the foundation to the roof, the basement to the attic. A detailed home inspection services every time!
Our Motto: Putting information where you need it most, "In Your Hands."
https://montreal-home-inspection services.com
https://home-inspectionservices.com
Old 12/19/10, 11:05 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoung7 View Post
I think the biggest point here is the opportunity to sell your product " residential home inspection " under or with a new venue or marketing strategy.
I see several opportunities by BOTH parties to gain from the MIC.
The sellers gets to see there home on a personal level , one that enables them to do everything necessary to make there home 100% marketable in a slow market.
By fixing those defects that can come back to haunt them during the homes time on the market.
Defects can be the ( deal killer ) or bring down the value of a home and thats fact.
More likely defects drives down the sellers asking price.
A small repair or large repair enables them to sell there house as whole and intact.
You can get above market value showing you have maintained your property.
Simple sales strategies enable a home to gain much higher monitory yields.
CMI is a winner and should be part and parcel to every HI sales strategies.
Thats how I see it anyway.
Excellent point or points ! If we could convince the Realtors and the public on this !

galaxyhomeinspections.com

An amateur built the Ark !
Professionals built the Titanic !
Old 12/20/10, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agallatin View Post
Excellent point or points ! If we could convince the Realtors and the public on this !
It is not convincing Realtor s or the public , its selling your services to the people selling there homes.
That's the market to place your energies.
Again its thinking outside the box that enables you conceive a new idea or way of thinking.
I am going to put it to the test and make it part of my sales strategy.

Robert Young's Montreal Home Inspection Services Inc
Call (514) 489-1887 or (514) 441-3732
From the foundation to the roof, the basement to the attic. A detailed home inspection services every time!
Our Motto: Putting information where you need it most, "In Your Hands."
https://montreal-home-inspection services.com
https://home-inspectionservices.com
Old 9/4/14, 4:38 PM

Since the "Buy Back Guarantee" doesn't apply to M.I.C.'s.....It's actually quite the opposite."While we strive to promote excellence and professionalism in the home inspection industry, the selection of a home inspector is ultimately a decision for the customer, and we do not guarantee or warrant any inspection performed by those inspectors listed on this website. Visitors to this website understand and agree that neither InterNACHI nor Reports, Inc., is not liable for the alleged acts or omissions of any inspector it promotes, nor may InterNACHI nor Reports, Inc., be held liable for damages allegedly sustained as a result of the acts or omissions of those inspectors, regardless of the legal theories employed. Users of this site agree the that exclusive venue for any litigation against InterNACHI or Reports, Inc., will be brought in the District Court for Boulder County, Colorado, or the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado."

I will take $150.00 in credit at Inspectors Outlet if you like?

Last edited by gspry; 9/4/14 at 4:43 PM..
Old 9/4/14, 4:52 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspry View Post
Since the "Buy Back Guarantee" doesn't apply to M.I.C.'s.....It's actually quite the opposite."While we strive to promote excellence and professionalism in the home inspection industry, the selection of a home inspector is ultimately a decision for the customer, and we do not guarantee or warrant any inspection performed by those inspectors listed on this website. Visitors to this website understand and agree that neither InterNACHI nor Reports, Inc., is not liable for the alleged acts or omissions of any inspector it promotes, nor may InterNACHI nor Reports, Inc., be held liable for damages allegedly sustained as a result of the acts or omissions of those inspectors, regardless of the legal theories employed. Users of this site agree the that exclusive venue for any litigation against InterNACHI or Reports, Inc., will be brought in the District Court for Boulder County, Colorado, or the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado."

I will take $150.00 in credit at Inspectors Outlet if you like?
The way this is written, both InterNACHI AND Reports, Inc., are liable, since neither are NOT liable.....

Michael A Clark, Certified Master Inspector®
Inspection Connection
St Albans, West Virginia

"Always tell the truth,
do what you say you will,
and do it Righter than Right...Always"

Facebook

Google Plus

www.charleston-home-inspector.com
www.icwvhomes.com

mclark@icwvhomes.com
Old 9/4/14, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclark2 View Post
The way this is written, both InterNACHI AND Reports, Inc., are liable, since neither are NOT liable.....
Great point!
Old 9/4/14, 5:40 PM
Active Poster

Michael, email me fastreply@nachi.org for your $150 gift card to www.InspectorOutlet.com
Old 9/4/14, 6:03 PM

Awesome! If you wanna split that......
Old 9/4/14, 7:26 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Michael, email me fastreply@nachi.org for your $150 gift card to www.InspectorOutlet.com
Thanks Nick, again!!

I wasn't trying to win anything, I was just picking on some poor English....

Michael A Clark, Certified Master Inspector®
Inspection Connection
St Albans, West Virginia

"Always tell the truth,
do what you say you will,
and do it Righter than Right...Always"

Facebook

Google Plus

www.charleston-home-inspector.com
www.icwvhomes.com

mclark@icwvhomes.com
Old 9/5/14, 9:28 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
Even if it was negligence, missing a defect doesn't cause a house sale to fall through (catching it does) and doesn't cause the defect itself (of course).

One can't argue (in a believable hypothetical scenario) that a buyer would walk from a deal only if a particular inspector found the defect. Or that the buyer would stay in the deal only if the seller found the defect and repaired it before they buyer's inspector found it. Makes no sense.
Forgive me for asking on this about 4 year old post, as maybe this is addressed elsewhere, but as I see it:

There is an increase in potentially liability coming from a falling through sale.

The situation:
It's a pricey house. Selling price is $850,000 (and here in California, that's not even a super high price).

MIC inspector misses a safety concern.
Buyers inspector catches it. It's a $5,000 repair.

Buyer walks over it. They just don't want to deal with the time and effort, even if the seller pays for it.

The Real Estate market takes a quick down turn.
The next offer, and the only offer the seller gets, is $800,000, or $50,000 less.
Close of escrow is pushed off 3 months from the original close of escrow date.

As the MIC inspector, you may not be liable for the $5,000.

But you could be held liable by the seller for the $50,000 in lost profits, PLUS the extra 3 months of mortgage payments at $4,000 a month the seller had to incur if they can prove that you and your faulty MIC report caused them to lose their sale.

There are laws for interference with contractual relation, also called Tortious interference. And Uniform Commercial Code covers all sorts of issues with service contracts. (and yes, I know the UCC doesn't cover Real Estate, but the relationship between a MIC inspector and a seller does not involve sale of real estate, as it's a service).

Now your potential liability in this case is $62,000.

Where as had the house not been MIC, you were the buyers inspector, you miss the same defect, and the buyer comes after you, your liability is the $5,000.

$62,000 > $5,000