Before or after report

I think I have finally booked an MIC. Lady is desperate to sell her home. She fired her Realtor and took it off the market…

My question is…when doing the report should we keep the original report with receipts attached or do another report…

Thank you

Thomas,
I have wrestled with this question on 4 point inspections as well. When the homeowner is the customer, if they want me to come back and verify fixes and upgrades I will issue a new report. I find it just depends on what you charge for the return visit. I certainly keep a copy of the original report and file it with the new report, along with pictures of the corrected deficiencies. I guess the short answer for move in certified would be the same, customer preference and cost to re inspect.

Thomas,
If you don’t mind me asking, what do you charge for MIC? I bought a couple of MIC signs awhile ago but didnt really pushed yet. I put some feelers out but nobody was interested. I’m now planning on pushing them but not to sure on pricing it. The way I see it and correct me if I’m wrong: pre-list inspect + MIC. MIC would consist of: cost of sign, copies of reports on CD, re-inspect. To me that would add up to turn people away from it or are you pricing it to cover your materials? Like I said, I’m really not sure how to price it.
David

David a MIC inspection is the same price as a buyers inspection. There is nothing different. Just don’t miss to much since another inspector is sure to follow after you. I did one the other day and I tore the ladies house apart looking for things.

Most likely Thomas it’s not what needs repaired but what needs removed/painted/planted/or remodeled in order for her to sell her home. Sorry the flipper side of me just showed up plus I watch way to much HGTV. :wink:

Since this is my first one, the price is the same as a regular HI, but I am inclined to charge more since there is going to be a lot more interaction between myself and my client. Also I am hoping to save the client money by reducing the need for last minute negotiations which some say could be worth more than $10 g’s. Not bad for a 500 to 700 + repairs investment.

Most Home buyers in my opinion, are looking for the home that meets their needs + is not going to require any major repairs for at least 5yrs.

I will talk to my client and see what she thinks of keeping the original report with the receipts attached. The buyer might benefit from having transferable warranties or guarantees.

That is the problem with the banker…He thinks the cosmetic things will sell his home faster with the minimum investment. This after he looked at more than a hundred homes before he found one that will serve 1.)his families needs and 2.) will have no major issues for a least 5yrs with a proper maintenance program . Go figure.

Tom

I did a pre-listing inspection in March. The house sold in June and, according to the agent who sold it, it was the first house to sell in that area since March.

The home owners left a copy of the inspection in plain view of the prospects who toured the house with receipts for repairs that they had made, which was not many. The majority of the issues remained unaddressed, but disclosed.

When the buyer put in a contract they passed on getting their own inspection (not a good idea, IMO) and wanted a water heater replaced that I had pointed out as being old and in poor condition. The seller advised that it was in his disclosure/report and was already considered in the asking price. The seller agreed to replace the heater at his own expense and they closed.

In the hands of the seller or the buyer, the inspection is only a tool and its effectiveness is limited to the skill of the craftsman using it. My advice to buyers and/or sellers is to get one, and that is as far as I will extend any advice since the outcome is not in my hands.

I have gone back on 4 points and have not charged for the reinspection.

Karma you know…plus I am a sucker for batted eyes and little ole ladies who just got thrown out of allstate after 50 yrs with no claims.

Nothing to be ashamed of, I have worked for hugs as well.

Thanks Billy and Thomas. Good point James.
David

Thank you Jim, a perfect testimonial…Mind if I use this.

Tom

Your report will be in the hands of several buyers. I get a lot of inspections from just one prelisting inspection.

Only negative thing about seller inspections is if you find a big problem they will try to hide it from the buyer. They also will ask you not to be too picky. I tell them that I inspect the home no different then a normal inspection and cannot change the report to suit the individual taste.
I may be wrong about being so pig headed but I don’t care either.:smiley:
I also warn them other inspectors will find similar problems if they are certified. If you don’t try to hide the problems and be honest you will sell your home quicker.

Be my guest.

Your report should be accurate or related particular inspection and then after original report save as evidence