MIC question

I have an agent who questioned the liability of deeming a house certified as move-in-ready. If seller repairs all items found in the report, that is one thing. But, if seller will not or cannot make recommended repairs (ie GFI, rotten window, etc) how can we claim it to be move in ready? My response to her was that if repairs were not made, it would only be “pre-inspected”. Sellers have to earn the “Certified” label.

I posed the question to my Inspector Lawyer, asking him if I was opening myself up to liability and his one word response was “absolutely”.

So, what exactly is the criteria that a home must meet to qualify?

I think you are quoting the program wrong.

“Move is Certified” is a marketing term
You have pre-inspected the house and the seller has the report information.

It is not your concern what they do with that information or if they fix any items at all. If the seller wants you to come back and verify work was done, you can; however, it is not required

You have inspected the home. You have given the seller a report of your findings. the seller knows the issues and can choose to fix, or use the report as a marketing tool.

MOVE IN CERTIFIED
PRE-INSPECTED SELLER APPROVED

The only criteria for a home to qualify is that the seller has paid you to pre inspect it.
You have no added liabiltiy

We all see homes that people live in and others would never live in do too the conditions .
Some are satisfied with a very bad home .

InterNACHI defines what the buyer should expect in one paragraph in the program. As long as an inspector does not hide that paragraph in his report, there is no more liability than a typical home inspection. Which in my opinion is very little.

Agreed as an inspector your only job is to inspect and report the conditions observed.