Move In Certified in Demand

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38834709/ns/business-real_estate/

Check out #3

Quote from the article: “You’ve got to make sure that one the house definitely has wonderful curb appeal,” said Ennis Antoine, associate broker with Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers in the Atlanta area, who has been a real estate agent since 1986.

I’ve been encouraging inspectors to perform seller inspections. The time is NOW.

If your phone ain’t ringing, think MoveInCertified inspections. Sellers need it. Agents love it.

http://www.moveincertified.com/
http://www.inspectoroutlet.com/move-in-certified-yard-sign.aspx

I’ve been trying to sell this since it came out… I’ve had a lot of agents who talk like it’s a great idea, but not even one sold.

In my opinion, this is one of those things that looks perfect on the surface, but in realty isn’t a product that people are willing to buy. (And I sincerely hate saying that, because I would love to sell these, but what is, is.)

**3. Looking your best **

The tried-and-true tips for selling a home still apply.

“You’ve got to make sure that one the house definitely has wonderful curb appeal,” said Ennis Antoine, associate broker with Better Homes and Gardens Real Estate Metro Brokers in the Atlanta area, who has been a real estate agent since 1986.

Clean the house well, add fresh flowers and sprinkle around some brightly colored towels to give your house an appealing look. Sometimes just moving around the furniture can make a huge difference, Herb said.

“You want to lead with your best foot and showcase your property as best you can,” he said.

If you can afford it, hire someone to professionally stage the house. If you aren’t living in the house, Antoine recommends finding someone who can stay in the house, keeping it clean and furnished.

Antoine also recommends showcasing the house in a non-traditional way, such as holding a wine-and-cheese for potential sellers.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!:smiley:

I did one recently for a seller that could not stand to wait a few more days for the buyers inspector to show up. He was real worried that something major may be wrong and the buyer would walk away.

He told me the listing agent tried real hard to keep him from getting this inspection.

Now he knows what all is wrong, there was no single major issue but I did find over 20 items that could easily total up to enough for the buyer to walk away.

He said he will fix most of them right away.

Smart seller, he just saved the deal probably by thinking ahead.

Of all the seller inspections I have done over the years (a couple a year), every one of them ended up getting their asking price because they went ahead and fixed any major items and put the minor, nickel dime items on their disclosure. Unfortunately, many Realtors talk their sellers out of getting a pre-sale inspection even when they know there may be items that can hurt the sale. They are willing to take the chance and hope the buyer either does not get an inspection or their inspector will miss anything major. Short sighted but that is the reality. Just had one Realtor I work with tell me that out of her last three sales, two would not even entertain spending the money on a home inspection even though she urged them to.

I get calls every once in awhile… I explain the MIC program a bit and the fee, the seller thinks it’s a good idea but in my neck of the woods, it seems that the seller would rather take their chances than paying the fee. I suppose if it was a smaller fee or a lesser inspection they may bite. I don’t like the idea of a less than thorough report with my name on it being passed around…

Not sure why as the idea has merit. If it’s a recent report, it may give the seller an opportunity to have things on their own terms. And as Bruce said, fix any larger issues and disclose the smaller. This would make many buyers “at ease” with the purchase.

Curb appeal.
Nothing better than the MIC sign.

curb-appeal-MIC-David-Hays.jpg

Just got this email this morning…

Ben, Nick,

I just did my first MIC. The seller only wanted major systems done. Roof, HVAC, Plumbing and Electric. Here are a couple of pictures.

MIC’s are a hard sell but I keep trying. My business is picking up a little.

Have a great weekend.

David Hays
Certified Inspector
All Points Home Inspections llc
820 S. Monaco Pkwy. #260
720-670-0366
allpointshomeinspect@yahoo.com
www.allpointshomeinspections.org

The seller having trouble selling this flip and only wanted the major systems inspected. His Realtor suggested that he try a Pre-Listing inspection to see if it would help.
House is 115 years old.
I just did this inspection yesterday.
Whenever I talk to Realtors about inspections I talk to them about buyers and sellers inspections. This is my first MIC. Not too bad since I’m still new.

By the way, I got the job through one of my Facebook connections.

I’ve done one in over a year. Good money…hard to sell.

Some are selling MIC to house “flippers.”

Got this email today:

I have been approached by realtors who want this at a reduced price! I can’t assume an addittional liability for less ( I would do it for the same price).

Tell them you would be happy to do them for them and them only at a reduced price. For every nine that they buy for their listings, you’ll do the 10th one for free. :mrgreen: I’ve done that a couple of times on realtors and investors who are wanting a deal because they ‘can send me a lot of business’. I learned a long time ago that it is more BS than reality, and when you put it to them like this, you’ll see by their expression or response how ‘real’ their bluster is.

(i) The inspector doesn’t have additional liability that differs from a “normal” home inspection. It’s the same “work.” Same contract. Right?

(ii) And the inspector can realize greater benefits in relation to the marketing of services. Everyone who sees the report, either printed out and lying on the table in the seller’s home, or all those who see the report online (using FetchReport), is getting to see your best work. Doing a MIC inspection puts a copy of a report into the hands of many, many prospective homebuyers. It’s an awesome way to distribute marketing.

That’s an excellent tip, worth a ton of cash to anyone who’s listening.

A Realtor that I have received several referrals from contacted me last week. She wanted me to do a Pre-listing inspection on a listing of hers. She said she would be paying me. She wants to know the condition of the home before she starts getting buyers inspections.
The home is a 120 year old victorian that is in poor condition. Did the inspection yesterday and the MIC sign is now next to her sign!

I am going to be giving myself more time to allow that service into my business before I open.
It makes total sense to me.
I also like the 10th one free as a marketing ploy.
Nick you have great ideas to get ones company up and running .

I have only done one - house (brand new, $3M) was going to auction, auction house said get it inspected. My first one, so spent 10 man hours on it (6500 sqft) - found absolutely nothing wrong. Great builder. Did not sell so now has it with one of my favorite realtors and she is thrilled with the inspection report. Wants a sign and is considering it for all her listings. Just got to get over the hurdle of sellers.

Trying to convince sellers and realtors it is a great idea is like trying to push a rope uphill. They love the idea, just don’t do it. Surpising since one of the most successful realtors in the state will NOT take a listing unless the seller has an inspection. Does not want to spend the time or money marketing a listing unless she KNOWS the condition. Can’t convince the others even with that kind of success.

Hi Ben ,
How can you certify an inspection . I’m sure that if inspect behind another inspector I’ll find something the other inspector didn’t . And the other way around . What happens to your cert. when that happpens ? And don’t get me wrong I’m curious just to see what responce I get to this !

Mr.Gallitan.
I will answer this , for I truly know you are still thinking** inside the box.**
When you do a home inspection, any home inspection, it is certified by you, the inspector and your name is everything.That is point 1.
@ Now you have to look at it from the sellers angle.
They want a document that explains there homes worthy of there asking price and ( to them ) has no problems.
THAT’S WERE YOU COME IN.
It has been certified by you the ‘‘certified residential building inspector’’.
Its a complete documented account of the sellers home.
There for entitling them ( the home owner ) to show the homes worth ‘’ physically speaking ‘’ as inspected by you, the CERTIFIED RESIDENTIAL BUILDING INSPECTOR.
Now they have a certified inspection report. Simple.

Now you have another way to market your service and the home seller has another way to offer her wares.
BY THE WAY , NOT SERVICE you should be thing ‘‘SERVICES’’.
You explain to her or him or the agent.
It just multaplied your selling stratagy by 2 fold.
It can be used in a multitude of manners ( the report ) as a means of reference towards fixing problems before they are spotted by OTHER inspectors that will surely come into the home looking for defects. RIGHT?.
There are many more angles. ( think out side the box)
Another you explain to the seller that after she fixes the problems ( if any ) that you will come back and rewrite the inspection report. The parts of the systems that have been fixed ( again, if any ). FOR FREE. RIGHT?
There are many ways to sell yourself and your knowledge as a HI. All Nick and InterNACHI is doing is trying to help you sell yourself and be productive.
I have not even come out of the box yet and have practiced MY-SELLING STRATEGY.
I have planned it for over 7 years, because I saw home owners being cheated by shotie inefficient HI’s and real-estate agents thinking that is the norm for a HI,s worth.
I tested its marketability to over whelming positive reviews.
I am creating a niche market because I am a contractor.
I was in’’ awh’’ and saw a market in need of me.
Look I marketed a 2 point inspection and made *** not ** .
No joke man, ‘‘sell your true worth’’.
Think outside the box.
The norm is old and outdated.
Good luck in life, you are worth the extra effort.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING WEEKEND EVERYONE.