Move In Certified Inspections

I am neither an inspector nor a real estate agent, so forgive my ignorance. As a homeowner (and someday a seller) I think I understand the benefits of Move-In Certified inspections, but don’t understand why seller or seller’s agents are not making greater use of this program or even the use of pre-listing (pre-sale, pre-offer, etc) inspections given the many benefits documented by InterNACHI and many of its members. Or am I wrong, there is a large percentage of use and its trending towards greater use? Or is there an impediment (someone or something) in the marketplace that limits their adoption by sellers and/or the seller’s broker/agent if its not home inspectors? Thank you in advance for your time and sharing your knowledge!

Someone’s doing them. InspectorOutlet sells Move-In-Certified signs like pizza slices at a football game. Stacks and stacks go out the door every day.

They are huge here, but that’s because the inspectors here push them. We even do Move-In-Certified commercial inspections in Colorado.

So its only a matter of inspectors pushing awareness of the Move In Certified Inspection? Sellers have no hesitancy to make use of them, including having to incur the cost of the inspection? Do seller’s agents routinely pay for the inspection as a cost of doing business, because they recognize it a competitive advantage to winning more listing in a competitive marketplace? Again, thank you and the members for sharing their thoughts.

There is a list of reasons seller’s use Move-In-Certified. That list is here: Move-In-Certified for Home Sellers - InterNACHI®

I based my MIC letter off this awesome list. Great list!

I also think that the Move-in Certified program makes a LOT of sense. The other side of the argument is that some Realtors think differently - they seem to think that if the Seller discovers the problem and makes the repair, they do so as cheaply as possible. This isn’t necessarily to the benefit to the Buyer.

I personally think the pros outweigh the cons, and the display of good faith and the removal of surprises discovered by the Buyers inspector trump any perception that “cheap” repairs were made.

I developed a tri-fold flier that I give to Realtors and a page on my website that promotes it as an effective tool in marketing your home.

I also think that the Move-in Certified program makes a LOT of sense. The other side of the argument is that some Realtors think differently - they seem to think that if the Seller discovers the problem and makes the repair, they do so as cheaply as possible. This isn’t necessarily to the benefit to the Buyer.

I personally think the pros outweigh the cons, and the display of good faith and the removal of surprises discovered by the Buyers inspector trump any perception that “cheap” repairs were made.

I developed a tri-fold flier that I give to Realtors and a page on my website that promotes it as an effective tool in marketing your home.

From Move In Certified Inspections - InterNACHI Inspection Forum http://www.nachi.org/forum/f62/move-certified-inspections-98903/#post1302486#ixzz3T4WzLtBo

I really see the value in Move-In Certified. I had a Realtor tell me that she thought if the Seller discovered an issue and then repaired it, they would do it on the cheap - thus not being in the best interest of the buyer. I think the pros outweigh the cons by a wide margin and I think a Buyer would appreciate the Good Faith shown by the Seller.

I’ve been distributing a trifold pamphlet to Realtors based on InterNACHI’s reasons and a few of my own, and I’ve added a page on my website dedicated to Move-In Certified inspections. Check it out and let me know what you think.

**I just purchased the yard signs thru InterNACHI Inspector Outlet and I can’t wait to go set them up!
My realtors will be fighting over them!
http://TruckieHomeInspections.com

front.jpg

logo.jpg

Hey Nick G,
ED Knight here.
Have a question?
Can an InterNachi inspector
Certify Residential Occupancy?