How Does MoveInCert work?

Hello,

I have not used Move In Certified and was curious as to how it worked. I understand the concept, but do I upload the report to a website, or do the sellers upload the report? Just looking for some details, the website is pretty general. Thanks.

You don’t have to upload it, you can if you want to.

My personal advice (only take this advice if you produce a professional-looking, robust report):

• Make multiple copies of the report.
  • Leave them on the kitchen table with a tent card that says something like “Free inspection report done on this property on MMDDYY
  • Instruct your client (the seller) to inform you if he/she starts to run out of copies (so that you can send/deliver more).

The real marketing benefit of MoveInCertified is that you get a copy of the product you produce as a professional (inspection report) in the hands of every buyer and buyer’s agent that tours the home. Imagine that!.. a sample of your work in the hands of dozens of people in your local market who are all about to need a home inspector!

An additional benefit (icing on the cake), it is likely the seller will hire you to also inspect the home they are buying (moving to) if local.

Ok, that sounds great. I appreciate the feedback. I thought there was more to it, I didn’t realize that simply conducting a sellers inspection made it “move in certified.” I thought there were additional steps that had to be taken such us uploading the report on to the website. Thanks for clearing that up. Sounds like a great marketing tool.

Move-in Certified is a great idea, especially if the seller agrees to pay for it. The lawn sign attracts lots of attention. However I had one negative feedback that I agree with. Once the potential purchaser goes to Fetch Report to view this property he can also view all other reports that were uploaded before for every single property in US and Canada. Is there any way Nick or Chris to make this work so that only report for the property of interest will be visible?

I don’t understand why anyone would care that other reports from other homes for sale are visible.

They got distracted Nick. :slight_smile:

And if the report is not favorable do you really think the seller will put it on the table for everyone to see?

Yes, especially if there is a problem that is turning potential buyers away. Pretending the defect doesn’t exist isn’t helping anyone, including the seller. The seller should also include (with the report) a copy of the PAID repair invoice showing the issue has been taken care of. MIC is the most forthright way to sell a home.

I’m doing a followup MIC inspection on Tuesday. The uploaded report will show updates (repairs made). This requires two trips but there are two fees :slight_smile: . The kitchen table copies will have the contractors’ receipts inserted by the seller.

Fix it or disclose it, either way after the offer is accepted, nothing new comes up, its a huge deal saver to disclose these things that aren’t fixed.

All the time. That’s the point. If the house is in good shape, the seller wants the buyer to see it. If the house needs a new roof, the seller wants the buyer to bring in an offer knowing about the roof so that he/she doesn’t start a negotiation after the offer has been accepted.

Win-win-win-win.

Bingo, so here’s the question…we all know this and most big wigs in real estate know this, so why are many REA’s hesitant to recommend this? I preach it all the time, I haven’t figured it out. I guess they feel afraid to find something they’ll have to disclose, but any decent HI would find it anyway…

The big listing agents love it… especially if the home has something obvious and major wrong with it, such as a roof that needs to be replaced.

Agents know that the bad roof isn’t going to go unnoticed. What they don’t want is to be tricked with a full-price offer only to have the buyer then use the home inspection to try to negotiate unreasonably. Those deals often fall through and unlike home inspectors, real estate agents only get paid if the deal closes.

So the solution is to preempt the buyer and tell the buyer the issues with the home. That way, the buyer makes an offer knowing those issues, thus taking them off the negotiating table. This keeps everyone from wasting time on a deal that wasn’t going to fly anyway.

Like I said, MIC is a win-win-win-win.

Texas has a strict confidentiality law. Without the clients approval an Inspector can not even talk to the client’s Agent about the inspection let alone give the Agent a copy of the report. Surprisingly a large percentage of my clients do not want me discussing the report or inspection with their own Agent. The suggestion from Yuri is a good one.

From a seller client’s perspective (on a MIC inspection) they might also want to limit the report access for various reasons.

Yuri, just upload the report and give the link to the seller and the seller’s agent to put out everywhere. That’s the purpose of the report, to show potential buyers.

I just tried the process and don’t see what you are seeing/encountering. The system does appear to be address specific from the client side. Are you handing out your own user ID for people to access their reports?