Pre Listing Consultations

I have been reading about some inspectors doing these Pre Listing Consultations. They say it is just an hour walk through of the property with the seller. My question is, In an hour do you access the roof, crawl space and attic? In my opinion these are three of the most important spots to check. And usually take me over an hour to do. It seems like a lot of areas of the home would not be checked in an hour walk thru.

It all depends what the seller wants. If he wants a full inspection with report then price as such…

Most states define what a home inspection is … and require that a home inspection be accompanied by a written report.

Some inspectors are performing home inspections, by definition … but are mistakenly calling them “walk throughs” etc … and are not writing reports. This is not advisable since the home inspector is taking on the complete risk of being held accountable by his client and his state for missed defects resulting from a violation of his state law.

A genuine “walk through” does not entail having the inspector look at anything on his own … but simply walk through a home with a client and answer questions about things a client points out to inquire about. When the inspector takes it upon himself to explore and, in that process, observes and comments on more than two systems … he is performing a home inspection and the laws kick in.

Another consideration is the requirement of the E&O provider.

Calling a home inspection a “walk through” does not necessarily change the rules.

I was reading in the seller inspections and move in certified forum that inspectors are doing these consultations. It seems like a huge liability to give 1 hour with no report or no pictures. Just wanted to see how many people are doing these Consultations.

I’ve read some of those comments, as well. I agree with you.

I offer consultations but the inspection process is the same (whole home, top to bottom)–where I differ from a traditional inspection is by letting the client (seller) take the notes. We then sit down at the end and compare notes for items that need attention and items that can left to the buyer to sort out.

The conversation we have is that every inspector (and buyer) is different but if I have done my job correctly, I have identified the issues that tend to go back for amendments. Do I care if I miss a loose outlet - no because buyer’s don’t renegotiate and ask concessions from the seller for trivial items. If I miss a bad furnace, roof, A/C, leaky basement, unsafe items etc.–I deserve to be sued.

You do it the same as any inspection (unless the Seller contracts with you otherwise).

You simply write the report and a different perspective (the sellers versus the buyers).

The only thing that makes it any shorter is that the seller only wants to know about the major things it must be fixed according to the real estate contract.

It also has a lot to do with your written agreement with the client. The purpose is to identify items that would likely come up on the buyer’s inspection report. Most of the items turn out to be maintenance items. It is obviously not as exhaustive as a full inspection and it is not intended to be. That’s why it costs far less than a full inspection. Eliminating pictures and the report reduces an amazing amount of time. Also, the seller knows his house, so he doesn’t need as much “show and tell” as a buyer.

I do not do a “short version walk through” any more. They always seem to turn into something very close to the full thing anyway. I do pre list inspections, it is the same inspection I’d do for a buyer.