Realtor skepticism

Trying to drum up some extra business and the following questions arise about the Move in certified program. I need some help answering them.

Thank you in advance

MoveInCertified homes have been pre-inspected by InterNACHI certified inspectors and the sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards.

The following questions then arise.

What is the specific definition of “Move In Certified”? A home can have issues and yet be livable and able to be occupied. These issues can be costly to correct as well.

The Standards of Practice used by the various Home Inspection associations, and even State licensing boards, all represent the minimum required inspection criteria for homes. None of the SOP’s are detailed and descriptive. Does this program use a different set of inspection requirements that are more detailed and in depth to ensure the home is truly worthy of being advertised as “Move In Certified”?

An inspection is an assessment of a home on a particular day and conditions can change. How long is this “Certification” valid for? Is the Inspector required to come back out for free to re-certify the home on a regular basis if it remains on the market longer than the validity period of the inspection?

During the certification period if the home develops an issue who is responsible for making sure that the report is pulled from distribution, any advertising material is removed from public view and access, and the home is re-certified? How does the “Move In Certified” program monitor this to ensure compliance?

In the buyer’s description this statement is found “The inspection has already been paid for by the seller, giving the buyer the option of waiving the inspection contingency, which streamlines the sales process.” If the buyer waives their inspection rights, and issues are later found that either developed after the inspection or were missed by the Inspector, then what rights does the buyer have to redress and against who?

The stated purpose of the program is “MoveInCertified homes have been pre-inspected by InterNACHI certified inspectors and the sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards.”. Yet on the buyer description page it states “permits the seller to attach repair estimates or paid invoices to the inspection report”. What then is the definition of “immediate repair” as there is no need to attach repair estimates if something is not in need of repair?

sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards not the inspector.

http://www.moveincertified.com/

Thomas, your questions aren’t numbered, so I’ll answer them in the order asked:

1. MoveInCertified homes have been pre-inspected by InterNACHI certified inspectors and the sellers confirm that there are no major systems in need of immediate repair or replacement and no known safety hazards.

2. No.

3. That day.

4. It would not have to be removed because your report has a date on it. If you did a Move In Certified inspection on a home in 1848, who cares if someone reads it in 2012? The world doesn’t destroy all its document after each day.

5. No right. A non-client has “no standing” in court to complain about a report you created for your client. Only your client can complain in court about the work he/she paid you for.

6. The definition of in need of immediate repair is self evident. A furnace that doesn’t function now or a roof that is currently leaking is in need of immediate repair.

The simple answer, a waste of time.

Eric - Does that speak for your buyers inspections as well?

Thomas - Market to the owner, not a damn agent…

No, because things can change in a home. What worked the day I inspected it is one thing. Six months later, who knows what happened.

The difference on a home I am inspecting for a buyer is that they want to find out what is wrong and know, that six months from know, things may break.

I would expand on your statement to market to the owner…Market to everyone present…and then some.
The more lines in the water, the more fish you may catch. :wink:

The inspection is for the day you did it, just like your buyers inspection…

As soon as you walk out the door, anything can and will happen.

So why is any of this a waste of time, or not a wast of time?

It is a waste of time for several reasons.
Here, we have a disclosure form that is required to be filed out by the seller. If I do an inspection, now, unless the homeowner has fixed everything, he must disclose it.

The next issue is that if I do an inspection when it is occupied, the Buyer may have an inspection done when the home is vacant. Now, there are a bunch of things that show up that I couldn’t get to. No matter how many times you explain to people that something else may show up that you couldn’t see, or that things change, the seller thinks you did a bad job and so does the buyer.

When people call me for these inspections, I tell them to wait and see what the buyers inspector finds. They then call me for the inspection on the home they are going to buy.

Thanx Nick…

David…advice well taken

Eric…I keep trying. I think it’s a valid program that’s worth the effort. Homes are held up because of last minute negotiations. Sellers just have to get thru the sellers disclosure mentality. More honesty in the transaction would make everyone more comfortable.

MIC finds the major defects before the buyer’s inspector finds them. The buyer walks and the seller has to wait for another buyer to come along. This avoids this scenario. Also having a home preinspected shows the buyer the seller is being up front with selling the home.

I agree!

BTW, Nathan says that the reason sellers do not get Pre List Inspections is b/c Realtors do not tell them to do it!

In my area, some Realtors seem to talk the sellers out of them. I pretty much expect these Realtors have the lower I.Q.

There are so many reasons to do this. For one most states have a disclosure requirement but owners tend to have selective memory and they don’t work. It allows the seller to know the issues upfront and then fix or price the house perfectly. They are not fighting at the end of the deal trying to get repairs done or money off the house. Many people know there is going to be something found by the home inspector so they hold back on what they offer. When there is an listing inspection and the agent priced the house right then the offers are usually better and the seller walks away with more in the end. It also takes a huge liability off the listing agent and the seller because they hired an independent inspector who has no dog in the fight to give their opinion of the property. If it’s a piece of junk your telling people it is and your price reflects that. I’ve done these inspections for agents that won’t list a property with out one. I had lots of stuff and the seller hired me for the next house he bought since it didn’t have a listing inspection.

Also the prelisting report gets shown to all prospective buyers. You will usually get a couple inspections of the buyers seeing your report, but choose another house to buy because they liked that house better for some reason.

The end result depends upon how the program is used…
I have done several Pre-Listing Inspections for Clients that have varying needs.

I Recall one a couple years back…

• Radon Test result over 10 pCi/liter and Seller corrected.
  • H2O test resulted in presence of Coliform Bacteria and Seller corrected.
  • Septic Inspection (by PSMA Septage Management Officer) discovered deficiencies and was corrected at Seller’s Expense.
  • Plumbing was PB 2110 and was corrected by Seller with installation / repiping of Home with PEX
  • Active Termites / Home treated and damage repaired by Seller…

When Home was listed along with Disclosure of Inspection Reports and Receipts for Repairs, it sold above asking price.

While the Home Owner was originally dismayed with the findings (at the time)
, the Home sold within the contracted and expected time frame along with being within the price range he was comfortable accepting.

That is what it is all about…

Realtors do not give a damn. The less they know the better. Most sellers do not know what is wrong with their home, do not want to know, or hope the inspector will miss items.

How many of you have really been doing these inspections? And how many have you done? What does several mean? In the scheme of marketing, is it worth the dollars spent for the return through booked inspection?

If a buyer relies on one of these inspections, what happens if there is a problem? Who will be responsible? Has any of this ever been tested in court?

Well said. IMO the purpose of a pre inspection is to give the seller a chance to fix any defects that may ruin the deal.

That is the purpose but in most cases the seller wants out of the home with little out of pocket expenses as possible. Aka they are hoping the buyer inspector misses things IMO. I don’t see or hear of many doing seller inspections. I have renters call me and ask for a inspection because they are looking at buying the house they currently live in.

Tom, Here’s my website blog link for sellers inspections (2010). My son a realtor also has it on one of his websites. I just don’t get much activity for sellers (pre listing) inspections. Damn, I even qoute Nick in my info :D. Maybe my link can help you though. Good Luck !

P.S. Anyone going to the link please Google Plus it ! :slight_smile: