Wire Gauge Sets

I have been developing a set of plastic wire gauges to help determine sizing. The set will include 5 separate pieces, and cover both copper and aluminum wiring common within the last 20 years, up to current.

Copper sizing will include 14-12-10-8-6-4-2-1 and also a 1-0 and 2-0

Aluminum will cover stranded wiring sizes 6-4-2-1 and also 2-0 and 4-0

I should have the first ones available by next month, if anyone is interested. The set should cost around $25.00

I realize this wont cover all wire sizes, and also wont cover the older ones, but should give you a general ideal of sizing for most modern applications.

Naturally these are not intended to be used on “live” electrical wiring, so nobody kills themselves.
If you would like a set you can email me at sfog273@gmail.com. Once they’re ready then I can mail them out.

2 Likes

http://worldartsme.com/images/light-green-square-clipart-1.jpg

1 Like

Great work Sean. Wishing you much success, as always.
I will likely be emailing you shortly for a set.
Best.
Robert Young

i purchased a set. use them continually.
Thanks Sean.

1 Like

What does this set look like?

Here’s a picture

https://www.inspectionwiregauges.com/?fbclid=IwAR2hqttuV6ZSEY3SoBD2iLiq7hka34LzoaaXIhm5eW7i7DM0yRjdZ03N_O4

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks! I may order a set.

1 Like

These things work great!

1 Like

I use them every chance I get! Ops, wrong color code.

May?
I recommend you do.

Is sfog273@gmail.com still a good email? I would like to purchase some!

Go here Jacob…

Thanks! Just ordered them!

1 Like

How does the OP picture work? My understanding was these gauges are for over the insulation, not un-insulated cable.

Bob, the photo in post 9 is NOT the OP (not sure why Robert would post that pic) and is not an intended use of the gauges. You are correct they are intended to be used on insulated conductors to determine conductor gauge. On that point though requests have been made to include 8GA bare copper in the gauges to check pool bonding wires, not sure why I never thought of it before but 6GA bare copper might come in handy too.

Looks fantastic Sean, I just ordered a set to add to clip on the hip. Nice work!

I’m looking into purchasing a set of these, it looks really helpful. However It clearly says all over the place not to use on live wires, but every panel we inspect is going to be live. I’m curious if any of you guys that have already purchased have had any issues or would like to know how you’re using this tool.

Hi Yacdiel,
I am certain the manufacturer puts that disclaimer in for his protection.
If you use these in live panels, (they are plastic) then you should know what you are doing and take every precaution. I think after you use for a while, you will develop “an eye” for the wire size in most cases.
Good Luck and be careful in live panels.

1 Like

Thanks Joseph, I agree with you, over time I have gotten a lot better in recognizing the different sizes but there are still some times where I can see this being a helpful tool. I appreciate your feedback.